FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   How Does Anyone Book A Flight On This Airline? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1999366-how-does-anyone-book-flight-airline.html)

TexasFlyr Dec 11, 2019 7:57 am

How Does Anyone Book A Flight On This Airline?

This past summer late July 2019, I tried repeatedly to book a flight from IAH-MNL. Nobody answered the telephone booking numbers in ANY city I called including Taipei. My calls were picked up and put on hold for in some cases over an hour without engaging a live person. The website was just as poor and difficult to navigate and finally I gave up after three days of attempting to reach a live person. One of my main concerns was the availability of wheelchair assistance all the way through to Manila.
Even if I was able to book online I would be very uneasy not knowing what to expect at IAH much less TPE. I finally booked with United and was able to predesignate wheelchair assist as well they gave me some better seat assignments for no charge. Very welcomed customer service indeed. Thank you United!

What has been your experiences? Is this an anomaly or standard for Eva? For such an acclaimed airline that people claim has top notch service, etc. my first brush with them was horrendous.

As an addendum, I had the EXACT same treatment and experience with China Airlines. Perhaps all Taiwanese airlines have similar attitudes regarding The flight booking experience.

RandomNobody Dec 11, 2019 11:24 am

I've seen the "request wheelchair" link show up on my reservation post-booking. Even though I do not need it myself, considering I do the US->MNL trip regularly, I've seen plenty of wheelchair service on that route.

And I ticket all on-line. I did have occasion to call on my reservation once this past fall, and service was quick and efficient.

Davvidd Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm

I fly a lot on Eva and I have no issues getting through to them at all. Try the Los Angeles number as they seem to be the most efficient.
Yes sometimes it could be about 5 minutes but never longer than that.
Book on the website first and then it should be there for wheelchair, special meal etc.

sfo3388 Dec 12, 2019 12:37 am

Originally Posted by TexasFlyr (Post 31828903)
This past summer late July 2019, I tried repeatedly to book a flight from IAH-MNL. Nobody answered the telephone booking numbers in ANY city I called including Taipei. My calls were picked up and put on hold for in some cases over an hour without engaging a live person. The website was just as poor and difficult to navigate and finally I gave up after three days of attempting to reach a live person. One of my main concerns was the availability of wheelchair assistance all the way through to Manila.
Even if I was able to book online I would be very uneasy not knowing what to expect at IAH much less TPE. I finally booked with United and was able to predesignate wheelchair assist as well they gave me some better seat assignments for no charge. Very welcomed customer service indeed. Thank you United!

What has been your experiences? Is this an anomaly or standard for Eva? For such an acclaimed airline that people claim has top notch service, etc. my first brush with them was horrendous.

As an addendum, I had the EXACT same treatment and experience with China Airlines. Perhaps all Taiwanese airlines have similar attitudes regarding The flight booking experience.

EVA flight attendants had strikes in July 2019. This is the reason why all phone lines were busy.

Why waited until December to complain?

Jaimito Cartero Dec 12, 2019 12:41 am

I had no problems booking a RT on BR in August, online. Easy to request wheelchair service, too.

TexasFlyr Dec 12, 2019 6:19 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388 (Post 31831661)
EVA flight attendants had strikes in July 2019. This is the reason why all phone lines were busy.

Why waited until December to complain?

I keep a busy schedule.
Furthermore, why/how would/does a FA strike affect the reservation agents and their job and function? If it does it reflects poorly on the company’s structure.

l etoile Dec 12, 2019 7:25 am

Originally Posted by TexasFlyr (Post 31832244)
I keep a busy schedule.
Furthermore, why/how would/does a FA strike affect the reservation agents and their job and function? If it does it reflects poorly on the company’s structure.

if flights are cancelled due to strikes, phone lines are tied up with people getting rebooked.

wpcoe Dec 13, 2019 2:31 am

Originally Posted by TexasFlyr (Post 31832244)
I keep a busy schedule.

Yeah, strikes tend to do that (reflect poorly on a company) either directly or in the collateral damage like tying up reservations lines for rebookings.

sfo3388 Dec 13, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by 1984SW (Post 31835339)
Yeah, strikes tend to do that (reflect poorly on a company) either directly or in the collateral damage like tying up reservations lines for rebookings.

Same thing could happen to United phone line when a big winter storm comes across US Eastern Seaboard.

Kacee Dec 14, 2019 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by TexasFlyr (Post 31828903)
I finally booked with United

That seems a rather drastic alternative.

daniellam Dec 15, 2019 5:44 pm

To answer the question in the title of this thread.

Most passengers originating in Asia (a large portion of BR's customers) still book their trips at traditional travel agencies found at local shopping centers in Asia.

chisquared Dec 16, 2019 10:59 am

Originally Posted by daniellam (Post 31843444)
Most passengers originating in Asia (a large portion of BR's customers) still book their trips at traditional travel agencies found at local shopping centers in Asia.

I find that very surprising. Where’d you find that out?

shoven Dec 16, 2019 1:22 pm

I always book online simple quick and easy never had an issue.

I had a flight cancelled during the strike I had to wait about 30 min to speak to someone but once through took 5min to sort not bad considering the amount of flights that got cancelled.

east_west Dec 17, 2019 3:45 pm

I always book online if it is an EVA-only route. If it involves a US domestic connection, I'll use an online travel agent like Expedia.

openwheelracing Dec 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Enjoy United lol