Q: online checkin

Old Nov 25, 2019, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Q: online checkin

I was trying to do online checkin for a relative (who does not fly frequently, no status and has motion sickness) in order to select a reasonable aisle seat towards the front of the Y cabin. On her outbound flight (from Asia to the US) I was able to do this (online checkin and select seats) 48 hours before the flight departure. However, I have not been able to do this for her inbound flights (from the US to Asia). I have logged into her booking reference and kept getting the message "checkin for this flight not available, try again later". Does anyone know if Eva Air only opens online checkin (48 hours) for certain flights but not others? If this is the case, then I guess the only option for my relative is to check in at the airport and get her allocated seats (last time they gave her the middle seats! - fortunately I was able to change it via online checkin, she still had to pick up boarding passes from the checkin counter and check her bags etc). This is not a problem, I only want to be able to select her the seats (aisle and toward the front of the Y cabin).

Thanks for any suggestion.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Might be a TSA related issue from the US, I've always having issues getting checked in for the US legs before 24 hours even with a US carrier. Coming from outside the US without a connection usually only CBP gets involved and they don't usually seem to have issues with checking in 48 hours before departure. Pre clearance might be an issue (Canada/ Dublin) since you don't have to go through the TSA in the US after arrival.
A1pax likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttuna3
Might be a TSA related issue from the US, I've always having issues getting checked in for the US legs before 24 hours even with a US carrier. Coming from outside the US without a connection usually only CBP gets involved and they don't usually seem to have issues with checking in 48 hours before departure. Pre clearance might be an issue (Canada/ Dublin) since you don't have to go through the TSA in the US after arrival.
Thank you ttuna3 for your reply. I also suspect it may have something to do with flights leaving from the US. However, it all ended well for my relative. I checked her booking about 12 hours before departure from LAX and discovered that they allocated her reasonably good seats for the 2 flights. In fact the seat allocated for the long haul from LAX to TPE was the one I was trying to get for her - aisle seat in the middle section of Y cabin, over the wing so not much motion sickness.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:45 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Depending on destination nation - they may require validation of visa and no way to verify without physical check.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.