Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

What is Kitty Jet's Target Audience in the US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is Kitty Jet's Target Audience in the US?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Question What is Kitty Jet's Target Audience in the US?

So, I was watching Jimmy Kimmel on the Bay Area ABC station last night and a BR commercial popped up about Kitty Jet starting SFO service (today 29 Oct is the first day). That got me wonder what they think the audience is for the Hello Kitty Jet...

The commercial itself was extremely boring - basically announcing first time Kitty service to SFO and go to evakitty.evaair.com which seems to be somewhat out of dated (Hello Kitty Jet Travels with You! | ???? shows 2018). I wonder who will actually "see" it.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:32 am

There are a lot of Sanrio fans in the US, particularly on the West Coast.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by username
That got me wonder what they think the audience is for the Hello Kitty Jet...
Anyone in the Bay Area who wishes to fly to Taipei, or to the various connecting destinations for which BR files competitive fares.

You don't seriously think that anyone will book tickets *just because* of a Hello Kitty plane - or that the people who *might* do so are a sustainable target marget - right?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: DL Gold
Flying BR17 in a couple weeks, kind of glad I'm not on Kitty service.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: Peasant at large
Just like toys in cereal, fast food, etc... it is intended to get kids to nag their parents or just parents thinking there's something extra/special for the kids at no additional cost/effort. If prices are comparable, this is a small nudge to tip the scale in favor of BR. I'm no fan of the creepy mouthless cat but I have seen kids totally distracted for long periods by the pack of stuff FAs give them.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 5:25 pm

Wikipedia says "As of 2019, Hello Kitty is the second highest-grossing franchise of all time, having generated $80 billion in lifetime retail sales." So I suspect there is quite a large audience.

Originally Posted by crunchie
Just like toys in cereal, fast food, etc... it is intended to get kids to nag their parents or just parents thinking there's something extra/special for the kids at no additional cost/effort. If prices are comparable, this is a small nudge to tip the scale in favor of BR. I'm no fan of the creepy mouthless cat but I have seen kids totally distracted for long periods by the pack of stuff FAs give them.
As far as I can tell, Kitty is equally (or more) popular with middle aged women (with a lot of disposable income) than kids...

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You don't seriously think that anyone will book tickets *just because* of a Hello Kitty plane - or that the people who *might* do so are a sustainable target marget - right?
Absolutely, this is the case. There are plenty of threads on this board with people talking about choosing EVA to get the HK planes... If this weren't the case, EVA wouldn't be paying the fees to Sanrio.

Last edited by east_west; Oct 31, 2019 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
You don't seriously think that anyone will book tickets *just because* of a Hello Kitty plane...
I know people who have literally done this, including one who paid for business class for the first time just because she wanted the HK experience in RL.

Obviously, the primary benefit to the airline is the marketing impact - but there is still a consumer segment that will actually buy in directly to the product.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Those people do exist. But I am not one of those.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 6:08 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gengar
I know people who have literally done this, including one who paid for business class for the first time just because she wanted the HK experience in RL.

Obviously, the primary benefit to the airline is the marketing impact - but there is still a consumer segment that will actually buy in directly to the product.
I booked BR over SQ on SIN-TPE because of the Hello Kitty product.

Flying TPE-SFO on Dec 1, booked a long time ago, wish it was one of the Hello Kitty flights.

It's just amusing and cute. That being said, if someone else is going to sell me a J ticket for significantly less, Hello Kitty is not going to tip the scales.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Same here. I have zero "interest" in Hello Kitty in general, but if you're flying all the time it's just nice sometimes to have something a little different, a little fun. All else equal or roughly equal I would choose BR for HK (I also just like BR in general), but if there were a much cheaper flight on the same route that was of comparable quality, I wouldn't choose BR *just because* of HK.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I feel like this would make me book away from BR. I love flying BR longhaul because the seat is comfortable, the food is great and it's basically like getting F for low J prices, but the Hello Kitty nonsense seems like it would ruin the calm of a nice biz cabin
Old Nov 3, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
What nonsense? If anything, I feel it's too muted. Hence, I order the child's meal instead of the business class meal offering. .

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I feel like this would make me book away from BR. I love flying BR longhaul because the seat is comfortable, the food is great and it's basically like getting F for low J prices, but the Hello Kitty nonsense seems like it would ruin the calm of a nice biz cabin
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:52 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
You can scroll back to 2018 posting when they first announced flights I think out of ORD and see it was quite popular. I haven't ridden on EVA's Hello Kitty flights, just on the regular Biz service a few years ago and service was great. The SF Bay Area has a very large Asian community so plenty of people going to-from TPE and onwards.

Hello Kitty was just always around for me (it started ~1974 - I was born in '77) and I got plenty of Hello Kitty stuff as presents from relatives growing up. So for me Hello Kitty is more nostalgic fun. I ate Hello Kitty dim sum in Hong Kong in 2015 and my sister bought me a foot-tall Hello Kitty stuffed toy. (You can see pics in my trip report) This year I rode on a
Hello Kitty branded airport train from KIX to Kyoto. I just took the first train that arrived, so it was a fun surprise to see it was the Hello Kitty one. It wasn't extensive like EVA's branding - you can see in the link how its much more subtle than the Shinkansen - now that is a pink explosion! Yikes!

United did a Spider-man branded thing for a few months to coincide with the movie release - New Spider-man Themed Safety Video & Amenity Kit - so future branding from other popular characters may happen in the future on other airlines. It's marketing, and if someone pays them enough money, it'll probably happen.

Last edited by lmwong1977; Nov 3, 2019 at 9:58 pm Reason: fix url
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Do you know if the Hello Kitty service is only from TPE outbound, or both ways?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by fishy21
Do you know if the Hello Kitty service is only from TPE outbound, or both ways?
Both ways. But because Hello Kitty is a special amenity, the outstation must be supported in order to have both-way services.
fishy21 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.