Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Terrible Experience in Business Class with Eva Air

Terrible Experience in Business Class with Eva Air

Old Oct 16, 19, 1:09 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Did I miss where the OP talked about anything not related to the non-functioning seat?
I don’t think so. The part that made me most sad is where OP says the FAs “couldn’t care less” (or some such) and then goes on to say they were willing to spend 3-5 minutes moving the seat around for him when asked
Old Oct 16, 19, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
1. the LHR experience is not reflective of any experience I've had on BR, and I've flown them frequently - but having said that, the LHR experience sounds just about right for the attitude UK airport agents from any and every airline direct at most of their customers - have you flown BA? It gets worse on board, not better

2. if the FAs were willing to spend all of that time moving your seat up and down as needed, it sounds like they did care, quite a bit, and were invested in trying to make the OP as comfortable as possible. It could be worse - on UA they might have hid in the galley and laughed about it.

So beyond the seat, what other aspects of the service were a failure?
Chang11 and nancypants like this.
Old Oct 17, 19, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
Anyone know the broken seat compensation on NH/JL/SQ? In general, I find UA to more generous with compensation related issues than BR/NH/SQ. Although I've never had a broken seat, UA seems to do better for things like compensation for broken WIFI and the entertainment system.
SQ offered me nothing when the new A380 business class seat won’t automatically decline into flat bed. Flew the new A380 on its 2nd day of service.

It wasn’t a big deal for me as 2 SQ attendant manually recline the seat. It was certainly more than 5 min of wait.

Just sour grape not happy with a mere $200 voucher.
Old Oct 17, 19, 10:20 am

The problem is coming into flying with expectations. If you fly premium classes often enough it is just about a flight being "bearable". First class is the one where you might have an expectation of enjoyable.
Old Oct 17, 19, 6:09 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Hilton Diamond (Aspire) - Hertz PC
This is one of the problems with having high loads - no empty seats to move passengers into when there are seat problems. All my recent flights on EVA have been 100% full in RL.

EVA should have done their best to fix the seat while on the ground. If they just shrugged their shoulders then I would be upset about that. Of course they also have to get the plane out on time.

I have had a completely broken seat on UA in business class and I think the compensation was $400. I would say that is worse compensation than $200 for a seat that could at least be changed manually.
Old Oct 17, 19, 9:22 pm

I sympathize with the OP as i too have had the BR broken seat experience. with no compensation offered. My impression of BR is that when it screws up, it adopts an attitude of problem?, what problem? This is quite different from one of the big Japanese carriers where people do apologize and management will take responsibility. (The comment that BR is managed similar to a Japanese company is neither appropriate nor accurate.) At the human level, the BR FAs do try their best, and I don't blame them because they have to work within the draconian confines of the head office rules and regulations.

I will go off on a bit of a tangent here and say that the LHR is one of the worst BR long haul international routes, followed closely by Amsterdam. ( Worn aircraft and lower quality FAs are more likely to be found on these routes than on basic routes to the Americas.) And I point the finger at the routing through Bangkok. Appreciably, that is just my feeling, but the EU origin routes to Bangkok are very price sensitive with carriers like Emirates and Etihad consistently offering much lower airfares. Carriers like EVA have done their utmost to cut costs on these routes.
Perhaps its due to the rotation of aircraft that allows non essential maintenance to be deferred a bit longer and the nature of the pax demographics that wears out the cabin crew. Keep in mind that with these routings, it is more likely that a pax will encounter an unresolved maintenance issue than with a flight that has TPE as the turnaround point. For example; with a route that originates in TPE and goes to BKK, while enroute, the seat may break; With a short stay of about an hour in BKK, there may be inadequate time to repair a major defect before the flight leaves for LHR, where it will be turned around quickly for the flight back. There could be several service issues and not enough personnel or time to resolve while in LHR. My experience is that BR prefers to take care of maintenance in TPE avoiding the expense of foreign service contractors. Just my opinion and others may have a different experience, but I offer this to the OP to provide some background as to why his seat was nonfunctioning, on an airline where seats tend to be reliable.
Chang11 likes this.

Last edited by Transpacificflyer; Oct 17, 19 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 17, 19, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Neither EVA nor China Airlines give much compensations. Sometimes they just give you a NT500 duty free voucher to waive you away. USD200 is actually quite high in that aspect.

I am not saying they are doing a good thing or bad thing, but it's just how they operate. They simply don't compensate much. Also, being a Star Alliance Gold member does not add value to EVA. You need to be an EVA Diamond to really have them bow down to you (but that still doesn't mean the compensation will go higher).

There isn't really anything discussed here about FA not caring, so I am unsure what's the issue. Ground staff at LHR can be European style, just like how I dislike the agents in LAX. Simply too entitled.
Old Oct 18, 19, 1:58 pm

having flown BR on multiple occasion, i always like service and care for clients. I do prefer them over many other North American airlines. Thank God you dont have to deal with crappy service from Air Canada, United, etc etc.

On compensation, most airlines are very stingy on giving out anything. They have bands for compensation under which they have to operate. i think $200 is middle band, this also gets calculated depending on how much you paid for the flight.
Old Oct 18, 19, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by hotpopcorn View Post
having flown BR on multiple occasion, i always like service and care for clients. I do prefer them over many other North American airlines. Thank God you dont have to deal with crappy service from Air Canada, United, etc etc.

On compensation, most airlines are very stingy on giving out anything. They have bands for compensation under which they have to operate. i think $200 is middle band, this also gets calculated depending on how much you paid for the flight.
Compensation depends on the airline - I've received $250 for a UA flight not having pajamas onboard. Asian airlines, and some European airlines, just don't compensate aside from a shoulder shrug. That leaves the flyer with an option of taking it up with their credit card issuer and filing a dispute for not receiving the product that was paid for, or a US person filing a small claims court suit which most foreign airlines won't know how to handle, thus you get a default judgement and go to the airport with your judgement order and Sheriff in tow, and make them pay you from their ticket counter cash box - or order a seizure of their aircraft on the ground until they pay you. Complicated, but satisfying in the end, especially as a small claims case is fairly cheap to file in most states.
Old Oct 18, 19, 5:45 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Did I miss where the OP talked about anything not related to the non-functioning seat?
I assumed there were other issues since OP said "on ground both before and after" being "on board", which is why I initially mentioned that OP had not expounded on the ground handling issues. However, OP's response suggests that in fact all issues were merely related to the seat-not-reclining-automatically problem. I'd imagine (this time) it's safe to assume that he was not actually sworn at by BR customer service staff...

I still think BR (and all airlines) should compensate more in these instances, but especially noting OP's 1K status, a seat that didn't recline automatically wouldn't make my top 5 worst flights / customer service experiences just on UA, maybe not even top 10.
Old Oct 22, 19, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
I assumed there were other issues since OP said "on ground both before and after" being "on board", which is why I initially mentioned that OP had not expounded on the ground handling issues. However, OP's response suggests that in fact all issues were merely related to the seat-not-reclining-automatically problem. I'd imagine (this time) it's safe to assume that he was not actually sworn at by BR customer service staff...

I still think BR (and all airlines) should compensate more in these instances, but especially noting OP's 1K status, a seat that didn't recline automatically wouldn't make my top 5 worst flights / customer service experiences just on UA, maybe not even top 10.
1k to BR is just another * gold
Old Oct 23, 19, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
1k to BR is just another * gold
swing and a miss.
ual744777sta and Kacee like this.
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:50 am
Suspended

BR notorious for 20 years about working harder at blowing you off rather than admitting something is wrong. Hence another reason not to fly them because when anything does go wrong they simply head for the fall out shelter and ignore you in the hope you will go away.
Old Oct 23, 19, 4:56 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by maball View Post
BR notorious for 20 years about working harder at blowing you off rather than admitting something is wrong. Hence another reason not to fly them because when anything does go wrong they simply head for the fall out shelter and ignore you in the hope you will go away.
in my culture people pay extra for that kind of thing 😉
Old Oct 26, 19, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
swing and a miss.
Unfortunately that is the case.

UA 1k or GS means nothing to BR.

Try to select 1A and 1K you will know.

BR diamond after March can select 1A or 1K at booking. The rest of peasant like my .... UA GS gets T-24 like any other gold.

I am In BR17 in about a week. Have two more flight in next 3 month. No DICE on 1A or 1K. Stuck on 2k, 3k, 3A.

Search this Thread