Carry-On Shenanigans??

Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I travel on EVA and they do always weigh the carry on. Not the personal item. They do weigh them even if you fly business class.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: Korean Air Skypass / Delta Skymiles / Asiana Club / AAdvantage
After my tips in november I was shocked that indeed the personal item can be the weight of an Anvil, and as long as it was smaller than the carry on, they didn't care.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike
This Spring I had a seat mate tell me they have never weighed his personal item. So he puts his heavy stuff in there.
Same here, actually. I literally cannot remember the last time I had my carry-on *or* personal item weighed, by any carrier (I'm usually on BR, OZ, NH, AC, TG, but also on JL, UA, CI...) I also don't think I've *seen* gate agents weigh anybody's carry-ons. Maybe ages ago on some domestic US flight? Am I living in some alternate universe..? I am truly puzzled.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
I fly out of MNL regularly. The only time I've ever had my carry-on weighed was when flying 5J (Cebu Pacific), EK, and EY. I've never had my carry-on weighed when flying BR, SQ, OZ, TK, etc.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:02 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I flew out of MNL last week too and they weighed. They politely asked me to put it on the scale to put a tag on it. I know they weigh it at other destinations for sure and I make it sure that mine is not more than 8 kgs.
Old Dec 24, 2019, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slimjin
Same here, actually. I literally cannot remember the last time I had my carry-on *or* personal item weighed, by any carrier (I'm usually on BR, OZ, NH, AC, TG, but also on JL, UA, CI...) I also don't think I've *seen* gate agents weigh anybody's carry-ons. Maybe ages ago on some domestic US flight? Am I living in some alternate universe..? I am truly puzzled.
Went through ICN, TPE, HKG, SGN, KUL and MNL twice. When flying EVA no issues, but when flying KE back to the states got asked to weigh my carryon. The girl at the counter was just being a snob in general tho,
Old Dec 24, 2019, 11:55 am

I flew out of MNL last month in J and they weighed it then. Also out of LAX.

Edit: They weighed the carry-on, but not the personal item (backpack).
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:26 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Does anyone have experience taking Apple's 21.5' iMac as a carryon on EVA?

The weight of the iMac and its carrier bag is less than 7kg but the total measurement of the bag is 120cm (EVA's rule is 115cm total). Will they let me take the iMac with me? I will be flying from Hong Kong to Toronto in business class. Thanks
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LuckyStrike
This Spring I had a seat mate tell me they have never weighed his personal item. So he puts his heavy stuff in there.

I actually stuffed my pockets with heavy items (power bank etc.) and put them in my carry on after they weighed it at check in. Not in front of them of course. I also travel with a travel scale so I know what I’m carrying.
Heck yeah, portable handheld travel scale with the scale hook is the best travel purchase ive made in a long time.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by l380
Does anyone have experience taking Apple's 21.5' iMac as a carryon on EVA?

The weight of the iMac and its carrier bag is less than 7kg but the total measurement of the bag is 120cm (EVA's rule is 115cm total). Will they let me take the iMac with me? I will be flying from Hong Kong to Toronto in business class. Thanks
5 cm, and you dont need to go through MNL, you should be good, Im pretty sure that because its under 7KG you're golden.
l380 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
While I have never had my carry-on or personal item weighed by EVA I have seen several people have trouble with EVA at SEA for having an overweight carry-on. I usually travel Royal Laurel and never less than Elite and the people I have seen having issues were flying in economy.

If you have a carry-on bag that is even slightly overweight never fly on Vueling in Europe. They weigh everything.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by CharlieA
If you have a carry-on bag that is even slightly overweight never fly on Vueling in Europe. They weigh everything.
I think this applies to any low cost airlines... I flew Jetstar Vietnam once, my older samsonite carry on is slightly bigger the current generations (definitely fit into all overheads with room the spare, including Ryanair's) but the check in dragon forced me to check it in and pay! So I forced the carry on into the bag scaler box to proof her wrong....

Speaking of, does anyone have recent experience flying BR J class departing from HKG? Do they tag all your carry ons? IIRC they did in the past from all airports.... As I plan to carry 1 carry on suite, 1 21.5' iMac and a backpack. I am considering to 'hide' my iMac if it is necessary... Thanks!

Last edited by l380; Nov 23, 2020 at 3:29 am
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My rollaboard is pretty heavy even empty so I have learned to avoid getting it weighed. I have not been asked at check-in - maybe due to my Star Alliance Gold status? In the boarding area, after being caught once years ago, I avoid the roaming agent who tries to size you up.

My understanding is that it is strictly a safety thing. Unlike the narrow bodies, it does take some effort to lift a bag to the much higher overhead bin of a wide body. Unlike US FAs who will tell you they can't help you, BR FAs will help you. Then they can get hurt.

In the old days, if the cabin crew finds an overweight bag situation, it goes into the Chief Purser's report and the ground agents are held accountable.

Would a 21.5 inch iMac fit in the overhead bin (and you don't have to worry about other passengers putting things on top of it)?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by username

Would a 21.5 inch iMac fit in the overhead bin (and you don't have to worry about other passengers putting things on top of it)?
Well, given that planes are almost empty nowadays, that shouldn't be a problem? Especially in J?

This is the iMac bag - https://www.ilugger.com/product/deta...1460&pid=15896 There are similar ones on other sites.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:20 pm

Reporting back on my trip. My iMac arrived in one piece safely as one of my three carry on bags. The check in agent does tag all of my carry on bags. Since iMac is 'irregular' shaped, the agent put 2 tags on it and the security officer at Hong Kong removed the additional tag when I entered the security area.
username and Dave510 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.