Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy bucket differences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Premium Economy bucket differences

I couldn't find a thread for this, but can someone kindly tell me the differences between the four buckets for premium economy? L/T are just "saver" and not, basic seems to charge for seat selection, but beyond that, I can't find much information.

Thanks.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
The biggest difference is the T, L, and K fares can be upgraded to business class with miles. I believe the most basic fare cannot. There may also be some minor mileage accumulation rate differences for the more expensive fares.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Mileage earning is slightly different, and PE Plus gets free wi-fi, but the major difference is no advance seat selection for PE Basic (P class).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Now just need to make sure my next bookings are not in P class. Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:55 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by hlee628
The biggest difference is the T, L, and K fares can be upgraded to business class with miles. I believe the most basic fare cannot. There may also be some minor mileage accumulation rate differences for the more expensive fares.
Am booked T class, upgraded with BR miles only? or can I use UA miles to upgrade to BC? Thanks
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by sfo
Am booked T class, upgraded with BR miles only? or can I use UA miles to upgrade to BC? Thanks
BR InfinityMileageLands miles only. If you want to use SAUA, you'll need to book in K, Y, or B for BR.
sfo likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sfo
Just for reference, here is the SAUA eligible class list from the UA website: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...de-awards.html

As mentioned, K is the special class eligible for BR for SAUA, so Y/B/K.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:13 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Thanks for the two above replies, appreciate it.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 1:57 pm

Haven't flown BR PE since they changed the PE bucket features. Is there any point in booking PE Standard over PE Basic if I'm not an IML member? PE Standard is $370 CAD more. Since I'm not an IML member, both buckets seem to accrue 100% miles and I can't upgrade either TPAC legs. So it seems that the premium is only for seat selection and slightly lower change fees?
Old Jul 18, 2019, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Schweden
Haven't flown BR PE since they changed the PE bucket features. Is there any point in booking PE Standard over PE Basic if I'm not an IML member? PE Standard is $370 CAD more. Since I'm not an IML member, both buckets seem to accrue 100% miles and I can't upgrade either TPAC legs. So it seems that the premium is only for seat selection and slightly lower change fees?
I would agree with you. I also note that as the plane fills up, PE Basic may become unavailable.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
With the PE basic too you can pay the difference to the next level in PE and then use the miles to upgrade to business. But if you do not have IML then I see no point in paying for the higher fare as the only difference would be that you have to pay for the seat selection. Depending on the sectors you fly it is not worth to pay an higher fares for the PE instead of the basic fare. It is the same cabin and boarding is the same queue and everything remains the same.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:32 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
The no seat selextion part is the only thing stopping me from booking a LHR-BKK rtn trip Oct-Feb right now (£894). I know this is guesswork, but how are the loads generally, and what chance I get a window seat? Travelling solo.

I usually go for avios etc and a £1.2k QR deal, but given positioning and max time limits on stays, figured its almost just easier to get the 11 hours out of the way direct. But not so much if in the middle of a group of 4 seats in PE.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:17 pm

PxC, I do not know about the LHR BKK but for the YYZ to BKK the YYZ to TPE is always full in the PE. They overbook the EC always and then they get pushed into the PE on this sector. I have never seen more than three seats empty on the PE and it is also a small cabin. The chance of getting a window seat is very low I would say on most flights in PE.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 6:15 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by dav662
PxC, I do not know about the LHR BKK but for the YYZ to BKK the YYZ to TPE is always full in the PE. They overbook the EC always and then they get pushed into the PE on this sector. I have never seen more than three seats empty on the PE and it is also a small cabin. The chance of getting a window seat is very low I would say on most flights in PE.
Would I not get to pick my seat for free 48 hours before, and economy PAX upgraded on the day?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 9:08 pm

Yes of course you will be given the choice of seats on PE when you check in. And the EC passengers are only upgraded at the airport most probably at the Gate. But from my experience the good seats on PE is always reserved long before the check is open. At least on the sectors that I fly. Most of the upgraded passengers get the middle seats I agree but I have never seen a window seat being open on the sectors I fly. I am a Silver and I do not have to pay for the seat selection yet I have had issues many times trying to get two seats together for me and my wife.
If it was me I would pay the 30 odd pounds for a seat of my choice. When I travel alone I always take the aisle seat in the middle sections. Also selecting where the rest of the two seats are blocked.
I have never seen a window or an aisle on the window side being empty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.