Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 3:17 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Your ongoing polemics remind me of Henry Ford's union busting methodology of the 1930's. They didn't work then and they won't work now. Yes, please go ahead with your threat to complain to the FAA/EASA/DHS. Be sure to include your vivid claims. Your complaint will be taken seriously, but I expect in a manner different than what you expect.

As for the comment on no one willing to invest in Taiwan, I doubt any investor really cares about EVA's labour dispute. The disruptions for these people would have been minimal. Anyway, if investment gets bad, I understand that there are millions of people in the region who would be delighted to visit and invest.

And a word of caution: Your words may play well to a vocal minority in Taiwan over the age of 40, and may be popular with some on this forum, but they go over like a lead balloon with the younger demographic in Taiwan, and they don't assure people who come from countries and cultures where labour union activity is an integral part of basic human rights and freedoms. Instead of blaming everyone, but the company, recognize that labour disputes involve two parties and the company doesn't have clean hands nor honourable motives either. EVA management is stuck in a different era.
Come on.

1. You did realize US trade association did warn Taiwanese government this particular issue right before BR strike. Right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/udn.com...y/7241/3840711

you really should understand AmCham and what it stands for. Airline strike was specifically mentioned.

2. It’s not the word matters. This is a public safety issue. When you are threatening to mess with emergency slides, adding substance to crew meals you are violating the law.

3. Btw, this time it’s entire generation that is angry at this union not just old folks like us. Don’t turn this into old vs young argument when it’s entire society that is against this particular union.

Some line and actions should have never cross the line. This union leadership did.

BTW- Clinton, Regan, and Thatcher did kill the unions forsake of public rights. Don’t give me the Henry Ford BS.
Unschunter likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 4:31 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Today TFAU held a press to clarify they misunderstood Kuo's LINE conversation that it was indeed posted by her (rather than an IT hack).

During the press, when TFAU was questioned by the reporters, some hilarious answers were given.

1. Will the union have any sanctions for Kuo? No.
2. Why did TFAU said Kuo did not post those LINE messages but Kuo said she did? Cause it was a phone conversation and was not clarified.
3. The pilot (Chu) got fired, is that considered retailiation? Not in the right stand to comment, but company and law enforcement should not make the scene bigger than it is.
4. (Question unheard) Our union is not pro-fighting or wanting to cause fighting. We don't like to see anyone hurt but that does not mean we won't stand for ourselves.
5. Special meal is causing havoc and chaos. Are you guys willing to promise in front of everyone now you guys will not add stuff in meal or bully (80) others? The reason why union is here is to help workers to get benefits. We would like our members to not bully others and also same for others.
6. (Question unheard) This is just a verbal slip, no one will do it. Don't worry.
7. You guys are worried that you may be retaliated, what measures has the union taken? Are your lawyers ready? As long as the company does not violate rule 35 we will not have problems. If the result from the company is not satisfactory we will appeal. Head of ministry of labor already said we are legal strike. There are no problems.
8. We heard some people in the union use day off (DO) to join strike, do you know how many people actually striked? We don't know. Since some people use DO or other yearly holidays, so we don't know how many.
9. Why the FAs cannot receive their unused membership dues now if they decide to leave the union? According to union law, leaving the union does not need to refund. According to the law we don't need to refund unless the FA lost it's FA credential.
10. How many FAs want to leave union? Don't know.

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jul 10, 2019 at 4:38 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Your ongoing polemics remind me of Henry Ford's union busting methodology of the 1930's. They didn't work then and they won't work now. Yes, please go ahead with your threat to complain to the FAA/EASA/DHS. Be sure to include your vivid claims. Your complaint will be taken seriously, but I expect in a manner different than what you expect.

As for the comment on no one willing to invest in Taiwan, I doubt any investor really cares about EVA's labour dispute. The disruptions for these people would have been minimal. Anyway, if investment gets bad, I understand that there are millions of people in the region who would be delighted to visit and invest.

And a word of caution: Your words may play well to a vocal minority in Taiwan over the age of 40, and may be popular with some on this forum, but they go over like a lead balloon with the younger demographic in Taiwan, and they don't assure people who come from countries and cultures where labour union activity is an integral part of basic human rights and freedoms. Instead of blaming everyone, but the company, recognize that labour disputes involve two parties and the company doesn't have clean hands nor honourable motives either. EVA management is stuck in a different era.
One last thing- the entire FAA/EASA/DHS started when a pro strike member went to FAA to go after the BR pilot who was against bullying from the striking crew.

This was on their own fan support page. Good pilot needs to be protected from bad crew.

Again- please do more research before making any statement.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gee, BR and FAs are fighting. The employees are fighting. Now the FTers are fighting.

They need to make every plane Hello Kitty to bring harmony back
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:41 am

Kuo has been fired according to today's meeting. Her case in regards to the IT hack will continue to be followed by the police.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by username
Gee, BR and FAs are fighting. The employees are fighting. Now the FTers are fighting.

They need to make every plane Hello Kitty to bring harmony back
technically Hello kitty plane is back in service.

Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:22 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Kuo has been fired according to today's meeting. Her case in regards to the IT hack will continue to be followed by the police.
What else came out of today’s meeting? I heard Union was asking for reinstatement if full benefits immediately (schedule requests, ID tickets, etc). And, asking that the non-strikers don’t get those benefits. Is that true? Also, are they still meeting early next week?
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:12 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
I was due to get married in Bali and my parents as well as other wedding guests were all booked on Eva from different cities in North America (total ard 9 ppl). 2 days before their flights all of the flights were cancelled. Due to the very tight timeline, and after being on hold and could not get through to many of the call centers I have tried, i just went ahead and rebooked my parents onto CX, although spending ard 1k USD more for the last minute flights. My other 7 guests could not make it at the end due to the very tight timeline and difficulties to get through to EVA. The other guests did manage to get the money/points refunded but unable to find proper routings to make it to the wedding. It was a nightmare for me and so much last minute stress I did not need to have. I am still waiting for my refund on my parents tickets. I have flown on Eva many times before and loved the airline, but this ordeal is making me thinking twice before using them now.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
What else came out of today’s meeting? I heard Union was asking for reinstatement if full benefits immediately (schedule requests, ID tickets, etc). And, asking that the non-strikers don’t get those benefits. Is that true? Also, are they still meeting early next week?
It's a hearing specifically for Kuo due to her LINE messages. One union member joined the panel. It has nothing to do with corp v. union.

Union did come out with a press but nothing in regards to what you said. They did ask that before but EVA just refer to the 5/8 agenda. The strike is already over so no they are not meeting every week.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
The union is appealing for Kuo.

They say that this is a complete overreaction and the person that leaked the message should also be punished because they are creating discord amongst the FAs and between the company and the public. The union claims this is retaliation and they are reporting this to the Ministry of Labor.

You really can't make this stuff up...a union full of liars and immature people

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jul 11, 2019 at 9:17 am
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: None anymore
It all seems pretty immature. Hopefully EVA can repair their image after this.

With that said, yesterday I booked a couple of tickets with them lol.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

BR's June statistics show an 18.93% drop in Pax Rev in June, and a 21% drop in cargo revenue due to the lack of belly cargo.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
It's a hearing specifically for Kuo due to her LINE messages. One union member joined the panel. It has nothing to do with corp v. union.

Union did come out with a press but nothing in regards to what you said. They did ask that before but EVA just refer to the 5/8 agenda. The strike is already over so no they are not meeting every week.
I heard they had a closed-door internal meeting. And they’re scheduled to meet again on the 15th and 16th. I guess with the strike over, this is just considered an internal meeting without any press.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by warrenw
It all seems pretty immature. Hopefully EVA can repair their image after this.
I'm not concerned with BR's image - only the FAs. Insofar as how terrible the FAs come out of this looking, and how that affects BR's perception to some consumers, I agree.

The whole saga with the LINE messages really shows how absurdly out-of-touch the union and some of the FAs are.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackHappy

I heard they had a closed-door internal meeting. And they’re scheduled to meet again on the 15th and 16th. I guess with the strike over, this is just considered an internal meeting without any press.
They've been holding multiple closed-door meetings with each rank. Ground Instructors/CP's met President Sun, the cabin crew EVP, Chairman Lin, and the HR EVP on Wednesday. AP met with them that afternoon. DP met with the panel Thursday Morning, and they have more scheduled.

The meetings have mainly been to get everyone on the same page, as well as "inform" everyone about the consequences of any kind of bullying, harassment, or similar threats to safety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.