Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: DL Gold
Web site banner now says normal operations from 7/20 ( I guess totally normalized by 7/21 since this mentions outbound Taiwan flights by 7/20).

Important Notice
Illini_Fan likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by krispykrme

I understand the consequences. But public safety first. BR management has its hands tied because of Taiwanese government. The only way to force this issue to be settled once for all is to get other law enforcement agency involved.

Her visa issue will be dealt with by DHS. It’s flying public safety that is more important here.
Quick update

1. The FA has confirmed that she did make those threat. But claiming it was a joke and spirit of moment response.

2. One of the pilot that also support bullying by the union also has been suspended. So many special meals.

3. Anyone want to guess which of the three department react the fastest?

I don’t think she will be able to enter US anytime soon.

This is sad day. EVA is a great airline. But the government didn’t support the management. I really didn’t want to do this to my favorite airline. But flight safety isn’t a joking matter.

Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:01 pm

"Another" EVA union has surfaced and demand EVA to compensate every ground staff NTD 5000 per day for their work load during the FA strike. If you check the official roster, it pretty much the same group of people at TFAU (Liao, Chou, et al.). Speaking of shameless.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:21 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic

1. The FA has confirmed that she did make those threat. But claiming it was a joke and spirit of moment response.

2. One of the pilot that also support bullying by the union also has been suspended. So many special meals.
I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt despite how ridiculous her excuse was. But, posting these messages to the chatroom is just stupid, and she needs to face the consequences. I think the sabotaging of pilot meals is a bigger deal for flight safety than bullying. Fine--even if it was just a joke, she should be on ground duty for a long time.

Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of people have posted about bullying. There was a '12 DP who said that she would make sure the (non-striking) CAs understood what it means to clean bathrooms. When someone responded that this was out of line, she doubled down saying she has the right to order them to do these tasks.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by bearchemist
"Another" EVA union has surfaced and demand EVA to compensate every ground staff NTD 5000 per day for their work load during the FA strike. If you check the official roster, it pretty much the same group of people at TFAU (Liao, Chou, et al.). Speaking of shameless.
What all of you don’t realize that this union is led by external people, which has been protesting daily at Taoyuan City government for a long time. To a point that the city of Taoyuan has to pay them to go on vacation.

I really didn’t want to report the entire epsiode to FAA/EASA/DHS.

But this has to stop or no one will be willing to invest in taiwan.

These type of strikes and uncontrollable union will kill every single industry it touches. Taiwanese government has not shown its willingness to deal with bullying and public wellbeing.

Citizen will have to take action to do the right thing. Getting other international agency involved. This is very sad for me as taiwan born citizen.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
...understood what it means to clean bathrooms...
Well, the lavs will be hard to clean considering they have basically flushed their own airline down the toilet.

While I think a large % of these things are "angry words", the atmosphere and team spirit will never be the same again.

I see unions like corporate democracy. Looking at how immature Taiwan is with its democracy (not that the democracy in the US or many western countries is truly mature) and how messy things are there polotically, I can see how BR is going to be plagued by this for years go come.
jmw likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:20 pm

Anyone know when/if the normal pre-ordered expanded menu will be back? I have a flight later this week I'm wondering about...
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt despite how ridiculous her excuse was. But, posting these messages to the chatroom is just stupid, and she needs to face the consequences. I think the sabotaging of pilot meals is a bigger deal for flight safety than bullying. Fine--even if it was just a joke, she should be on ground duty for a long time.

Like someone mentioned in an earlier post, a lot of people have posted about bullying. There was a '12 DP who said that she would make sure the (non-striking) CAs understood what it means to clean bathrooms. When someone responded that this was out of line, she doubled down saying she has the right to order them to do these tasks.
There was a captain that suggested giving "special meals" to passengers that did not support the strike. Another DP said that she would happily do it, and be the passengers "advisor".

BR has reported the Captain and DPs online to the police and CAA. I think there will be so much more nonsense in the coming year as the effects of the strike play out.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
is Eva air adding some cancelled flight before July 20?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
rebooked in AKL office. no line ( the lady said that there were few calls even during the strike, and she helped to rebook other passengser ex Australia)
Old Jul 9, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
There was a captain that suggested giving "special meals" to passengers that did not support the strike. Another DP said that she would happily do it, and be the passengers "advisor".

BR has reported the Captain and DPs online to the police and CAA. I think there will be so much more nonsense in the coming year as the effects of the strike play out.
According to the press the 777 captain (named Chu) has been fired due to this "special meal" incident. Obviously he is not part of the FA union. He has 14 days to appeal to his case to EVA.

Other sources indicated he may be going off to StarLux. That may be the reason why he involved himself in this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
According to the press the 777 captain (named Chu) has been fired due to this "special meal" incident. Obviously he is not part of the FA union. He has 14 days to appeal to his case to EVA.

Other sources indicated he may be going off to StarLux. That may be the reason why he involved himself in this.
The TPU is assisting the pilot in appealing right now. The CAA is looking at pulling his license, so if he wanted to go to Starlux, this was a terrible idea.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:52 pm
jmw

Pretty much everyone involved, to some extent, is acting like small children. Management won't quit with the union lawsuit and I sense they may try to punish strikers even though they promised not to. Flight attendants want to serve special meals and withhold paperwork. Some passengers are angry at flight attendants for exercising their right to withhold labor and many have never experienced a strike in the US or Europe. The Taiwan news media has always been a joke and that hasn't changed. The government is not providing much leadership to resolve this in a favorable manner. Overall, Taiwan is pretty immature and inexperienced overall and it really showed during this strike and the aftermath so far.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jmw
Pretty much everyone involved, to some extent, is acting like small children. Management won't quit with the union lawsuit and I sense they may try to punish strikers even though they promised not to. Flight attendants want to serve special meals and withhold paperwork. Some passengers are angry at flight attendants for exercising their right to withhold labor and many have never experienced a strike in the US or Europe. The Taiwan news media has always been a joke and that hasn't changed. The government is not providing much leadership to resolve this in a favorable manner. Overall, Taiwan is pretty immature and inexperienced overall and it really showed during this strike and the aftermath so far.
Right to withhold labor doesn’t mean you can “add substance” to pilot and passenger meals.

If you think those comment is ok, I dare you to make same threat on United, AA... etc. See what would happen to you.

Company can’t stop because the same outside union has another strike planned.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton

What all of you don’t realize that this union is led by external people, which has been protesting daily at Taoyuan City government for a long time. To a point that the city of Taoyuan has to pay them to go on vacation.
I really didn’t want to report the entire epsiode to FAA/EASA/DHS.
But this has to stop or no one will be willing to invest in taiwan.
These type of strikes and uncontrollable union will kill every single industry it touches. Taiwanese government has not shown its willingness to deal with bullying and public wellbeing.
Citizen will have to take action to do the right thing. Getting other international agency involved. This is very sad for me as taiwan born citizen.
Your ongoing polemics remind me of Henry Ford's union busting methodology of the 1930's. They didn't work then and they won't work now. Yes, please go ahead with your threat to complain to the FAA/EASA/DHS. Be sure to include your vivid claims. Your complaint will be taken seriously, but I expect in a manner different than what you expect.

As for the comment on no one willing to invest in Taiwan, I doubt any investor really cares about EVA's labour dispute. The disruptions for these people would have been minimal. Anyway, if investment gets bad, I understand that there are millions of people in the region who would be delighted to visit and invest.

And a word of caution: Your words may play well to a vocal minority in Taiwan over the age of 40, and may be popular with some on this forum, but they go over like a lead balloon with the younger demographic in Taiwan, and they don't assure people who come from countries and cultures where labour union activity is an integral part of basic human rights and freedoms. Instead of blaming everyone, but the company, recognize that labour disputes involve two parties and the company doesn't have clean hands nor honourable motives either. EVA management is stuck in a different era.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.