Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Taten_R.O.C.
Based on the union, up till today, the union has collected 1900 FA's passport that is 2/3 of the FA voted for strikes (3000 FA votes for strikes). EVA maintain 40% of their flights till 28 June.
collected their passports? that sounds so extreme :/
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 2MM
coolfish1103 - Thank you for posting this information. So if I read this correctly, for 6/24, of 181 total flights, 108 will be cancelled (60%). Meaning they plan to fly 40% of their schedule that day. Even with cancelling leave, … less than 1/2 of their FAs are turning up for work. One wonders how long this situation can last.
coolfish1103 likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: EVA: Gold; Starlux: Explorer; China Airlines: Gold
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
collected their passports? that sounds so extreme :/
The union collects three dox from FA to participant the strikes:
1. staff ID - FA certification which is required for onboard service
2. Passport
3. The travel dox for Taiwanese to enter mainland

Well, based on the latest news claimed by the union, they have collected 2,000 staffs' dox.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
My tpe-dps UA redemption flight for 6/28 cancelled. No emails from Eva or UA but I noticed UA had posted a note on my res to contact them. I asked about alternatives (it was 3 j Tix for 45k each). No options until early July. No problem cancelling and get back the miles. I was lucky to find J Tix on Hong Kong Air for about $420 each (it looks like a lot of flights in economy are sold out) and getting to DPS about 8 hrs later than original. Was looking forward to a hello Kitty flights but at least I will be trying a new airline.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am kind of wondering if they can provide the cancellation percentages by Available Seat Miles/Kilometers. It seems most of the long hauls are cancelled so those numbers would be a lot worse. Not that ASM/ASK have a better gauge on revenue losses.

You kind of wonder how will they recover from this - a lot of the hard-built reputation over the years is going down the drain...

As mentioned, they are reducing the number of FAs onboard to just the legal limit and streamlining onboard service (no Kitty service, no duty free, reduced meal options).
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Union is going to sue the airline on Monday or Tuesday for violating their picket line and is suing Ho Ching-Sheng, the Executive VP, for threatening them.

The labor minister showed up last night at the strike to provide her support for the FAs, only to be lambasted on the internet for pandering and buying votes during this very bad strike. The ministry clarifies that she is "neutral" and was only there to check on the situation (perhaps she can show that by visiting the ground staff and people on the phones in office?) MOTC and MOL are now clashing over this incident and the president is urging people to go back to work as quickly as possible.

The airline is reducing:
  • Short-haul J to one-choice, long-haul J to two choices for meals
  • Duty Free on request for long-haul, not available on short-haul
  • No proactive offering of drinks mid-flight. They are on request-only.
  • No Hello Kitty Service Available
  • Reduced Service Flow

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jun 22, 2019 at 2:37 pm
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Taten_R.O.C.
The union collects three dox from FA to participant the strikes:
1. staff ID - FA certification which is required for onboard service
2. Passport
3. The travel dox for Taiwanese to enter mainland

Well, based on the latest news claimed by the union, they have collected 2,000 staffs' dox.
Is it legal??
If it is then it's outright crazy.
What if the FA's change their mind and willing to come back to work?
But the union leaders don't want to break the strike and then will effectively hold them all hostage!!!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan, Mileage Plus
I have YVR-TPE-SIN booked for July 3. Judging by the comments on this site, the situation does not look good at all - it would appear as if all sides are spoiling for a fight at the expense of pax. Are there any signs that talks are ongoing?
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are in the process of suing each other. So, I guess we might have to see the outcome of that.

Union also says they have not gotten any contact from BR intending to resume talks and the Union will return to the bargaining table if "BR makes progress with the conditions proposed by the Union and shows BR is in good faith".

Another word, this will drag on.

Union says they will re-vote every 10 days to see if the FAs want to continue to strike.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Well, there have been reports where EVA has accommodated ANA tickets if you head to the local office to get it done. ANA award ticket TPE-CTS originally booked as EVA but cancelled and EVA re-routed as TSA-HND-CTS with HND-CTS on NH. In that particular case EVA secured the seats and booking and the ticket had to be re-issued by ANA (so the passenger had to call ANA regardless).

It never hurts to try.
he or she got very lucky.

while in SFO office yesterday- direction from Taipei was what I posted. There were a couple passenger that used air canada miles that got turned away
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by username
They are in the process of suing each other. So, I guess we might have to see the outcome of that.

Union also says they have not gotten any contact from BR intending to resume talks and the Union will return to the bargaining table if "BR makes progress with the conditions proposed by the Union and shows BR is in good faith".

Another word, this will drag on.

Union says they will re-vote every 10 days to see if the FAs want to continue to strike.
How are they going to vote if they don’t have their IDs?

I feel bad for all the maintenance, ground staff, etc who are stuck overseas on vacation because the entire ID ticketing platform was shut off.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
I feel bad for all the maintenance, ground staff, etc who are stuck overseas on vacation because the entire ID ticketing platform was shut off.
Well, looks like it's gonna be a watershed moment for everyone in the Taiwan's industry, not just airlines.
I doubt that EVA will issue any concessions short of the court's ruling against them.
Or government's intervention. But then it will open a pandora's box of other issues.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
How are they going to vote if they don’t have their IDs?

They didn't take their Taiwan ID or other IDs, right? Just the documentation needed to fly and travel, right?

Did BR stop non-rev travel for everyone because of capacity issues or it is a "punish you all until the offending party does something" tactic? If it is the latter, it does not seem fair.

The government is stuck now. DPP has traditionally been pro-labor but most people in Taiwan are not with the union this time and thought it was how they handled the CI FA strike that lead to this.

...and people are already making fun of the "military relief flights" the government is exploring: https://uc.udn.com.tw/photo/2019/06/22/99/6469993.jpg

Let's see what the Courts say - and Taiwanese courts are...
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by username
They didn't take their Taiwan ID or other IDs, right? Just the documentation needed to fly and travel, right?

Did BR stop non-rev travel for everyone because of capacity issues or it is a "punish you all until the offending party does something" tactic? If it is the latter, it does not seem fair.

The government is stuck now. DPP has traditionally been pro-labor but most people in Taiwan are not with the union this time and thought it was how they handled the CI FA strike that lead to this.

...and people are already making fun of the "military relief flights" the government is exploring: https://uc.udn.com.tw/photo/2019/06/22/99/6469993.jpg

Let's see what the Courts say - and Taiwanese courts are...
Right—they still have their national ID card, etc. I know for the first vote, they used their staff id, so I guess they’ll find another way this time.

My understanding is the entire ticketing website is offline. So, you can’t book non-rev tickets on other airlines either. Some of the counter-protests at headquarters looked pretty nasty, but I guess everyone is angry.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:29 pm

Programs: Mileage Plan, Mileage Plus
My Taiwanese friends don't think EVA will back down. So I am just waiting for my flights to be canceled as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.