Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
Have not heard any reports on the number or percentage of FA that are on strike, anyone know?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sleuth

If your flight is cancelled I would just head to the EVA desk at LAX. I don’t see any reason why they would not help you, especially on the day of the flight. Ask them to book you on SQ if your flight cancels.
I would rather make alternative arrangements if I can now and be booked on a different flight so I can still fly back on the 7th. Will give EVA a call next week but I am sure they will refer me back to Avianca since the booking is made through them
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:50 pm

Booked on TPE-SFO next week which is showing cancelled. Can't pull up the BR reservation on the website. Booked through Aeroplan, and when I called them they said they are not showing the flight as cancelled so will not rebook without penalty and space available...I asked them to even look on the BR website and they said that they can only go by what their system shows.

I really don't want to have to deal with a rebooking at TPE at midnight.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Again, if your redemption ticket is not with EVA and you have yet to commence your trip, you need to contact the airline that booked your award for re-booking. EVA will not touch those tickets.

If your non-EVA redemption ticket is half way used, you might have a case as EVA can control those tickets. In the past EVA has been neglecting these but there are successful cases of getting the ticket changed. YMMV.

If your non-EVA redemption ticket is partially on EVA, you have the options to try to get it changed beforehand, or fly until you reach the EVA segment and make EVA find alternative plans for you (that's if you are not stopped from checking in on the previous segments). EVA will have to sort it out as they cannot leave you stranded there mid-way. However, you do risk having to stay there till they find you an available seat.

I do not suggest you try to re-book these non-EVA tickets at TPE unless you have absolutely no choice but reached the D-Day. If you do have to go to TPE, be there as early as you can. You may be waiting for hours in line and receive an "I cannot help you." Try a local office (but many are closed today and/or tomorrow) if you cannot reach a live person on the phone.

Also, the tendency of EVA cancelling the late night departure to LAX and SFO has been a norm. You don't want to be there at midnight.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SirJman
Booked on TPE-SFO next week which is showing cancelled. Can't pull up the BR reservation on the website. Booked through Aeroplan, and when I called them they said they are not showing the flight as cancelled so will not rebook without penalty and space available...I asked them to even look on the BR website and they said that they can only go by what their system shows.

I really don't want to have to deal with a rebooking at TPE at midnight.
I would double check you are retrieving the PNR correctly on BR's website. The PNR should still be there.

For you experts here, what happens if a flight is cancelled:

1 - in availability display - does it just now show up, show up with all 0s or something else?

2 - in BR's PNR - does the segment just disappear or show some status? Does the PNR disappear?

3 - in the originating system's PNR - does it have a different status for the cancelled segment(s)?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Lonsinla
I would rather make alternative arrangements if I can now and be booked on a different flight so I can still fly back on the 7th. Will give EVA a call next week but I am sure they will refer me back to Avianca since the booking is made through them
If your flight isn’t cancelled and you want to change it to someone else then naturally EVA is going to refer you back to Lifemiles, because you’re not an INVOL at that point. If the flight cancels, then it’s on EVA to assist.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by sleuth

If your flight isn’t cancelled and you want to change it to someone else then naturally EVA is going to refer you back to Lifemiles, because you’re not an INVOL at that point. If the flight cancels, then it’s on EVA to assist.
Thanks for your reply. I don't mind waiting till the flight cancels if EVA is able rebook me to another carrier, even if its on a different date.
I just dont want to go through the process with Avianca as they are horrid to deal with based on my past experience with any sort of cancellation and rebooking even on a paid ticket. If my one way flight is cancelled by EVA, can i assume its up to EVA to rebook me and not Avianca?
Old Jun 21, 2019, 11:54 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for your reply. I don't mind waiting till the flight cancels if EVA is able rebook me to another carrier, even if its on a different date.
I just dont want to go through the process with Avianca as they are horrid to deal with based on my past experience with any sort of cancellation and rebooking even on a paid ticket. If my one way flight is cancelled by EVA, can i assume its up to EVA to rebook me and not Avianca?
Well under normal circumstances, cancels aren’t usually known well in advance; more like day of, and then the operating carrier (in this case EVA) is responsible for rebooking you. If EVA cancels your flight a week out I would still try working with them. They probably already have some protection agreements in place with various airlines.

Last February I had a Cathay flight go tech. All they had was an earlier flight to HKG in economy to connect to my AA flight. This was an award ticket using AA miles. They did not refer me back to AA. They were willing to rebook me onto SQ to get to LAX. A seat in J opened up on the earlier CX flight and so it worked out. But at no point did CX tell me I needed to call the ticketing carrier. I’m sure EVA is bending over backwards to help people - BUT, don’t expect that until your flight actually cancels.
Lonsinla likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
I was in BR office entire afternoon.

i can confirm the following-

1. If your award flight is using BR miles- BR will rebook and accommodate you.

2. If your award flight is not BR miles and have not started travel- you have to go back to which program you redeemed from.

3. For Code share flights- it’s original ticketing carrier that can help you. BR by law can’t touch those tickets too.

Old Jun 22, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by krispykrme
I was in BR office entire afternoon.

i can confirm the following-

1. If your award flight is using BR miles- BR will rebook and accommodate you.

2. If your award flight is not BR miles and have not started travel- you have to go back to which program you redeemed from.

3. For Code share flights- it’s original ticketing carrier that can help you. BR by law can’t touch those tickets too.

thats what I am worried abt. thanks for that
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:07 am

thats what I am worried abt. thanks for that
Well, there have been reports where EVA has accommodated ANA tickets if you head to the local office to get it done. ANA award ticket TPE-CTS originally booked as EVA but cancelled and EVA re-routed as TSA-HND-CTS with HND-CTS on NH. In that particular case EVA secured the seats and booking and the ticket had to be re-issued by ANA (so the passenger had to call ANA regardless).

It never hurts to try.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
The strike action isn't just cancellations. On my flight today, it was announced that there would be only one meal type in business and no duty free sales because of the industrial action.

Originally Posted by username
For you experts here, what happens if a flight is cancelled:

2 - in BR's PNR - does the segment just disappear or show some status? Does the PNR disappear?
I'm no expert, but I flew today. ICN-KHH was cancelled, so I was rebooked on ICN-TPE. When I had my boarding pass in hand, I checked the BR web site. It still showed ICN-KHH!
The difference from usual was a few fields:
"Flight Status: FAILED"
"Seat: Unable to select seat"
"Meal: Unable to order meal"
"Check-in: Unable to check-in"

Nothing about the new flight at all. Ticket number on the new boarding pass matched the original reservation. Looks like they have some hokey override method in their system.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Just checked my booking. They automatically rebooked my canceled BR25 (6/22) to 7/8. I had BKK from 6/24-6/27 and those segments disappeared from my booking.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:27 am

EVA has released some number on affected passengers and flights. I will only translate 6/24 and you can refer the rest.

長榮航空因應桃園市空服員職業工會持續罷工影響,本月24日到28日預計取消航班及影響人數如 下:

6月24日(一)

※總航班 Total flights 181班,取消 Cancelled 108班,受影響旅客約 Affected Pax 2萬3000人。
台灣出發 ex-TWN 90班 / 返回台灣 to-TWN 91班
取消班數 Cancelled 52班 / 取消班數 Cancelled 56班

ex-TPE 44
TSA 2
KHH 4
RMQ 2

to-TPE 48
TSA 2
KHH 4
RMQ 2

影響旅客人數 Pax affected approximately 約1萬1千名 ~11,000
影響旅客人數約1萬2千名 ~12,000

6月25日(二)

※總航班179班,取消103班,受影響旅客約1萬9700人。
台灣出發90班 / 返回台灣89班
取消班數52班 / 取消班數51班

影響旅客人數約1萬名
影響旅客人數約9,700名

6月26日(三)

※總航班178班,取消102班,受影響旅客約2萬人。
台灣出發90班 / 返回台灣88班
取消班數52班 / 取消班數50班

影響旅客人數約1萬名
影響旅客人數約1萬名

6月27日(四)

※總航班181班,取消105班,受影響旅客約2萬人。
台灣出發91班 / 返回台灣90班
取消班數53班 / 取消班數52班

影響旅客人數約1萬名
影響旅客人數約1萬名

6月28日(五)

※總航班192班,取消114班,受影響旅客約2萬3千人。
台灣出發95班 / 返回台灣97班
取消班數56班 / 取消班數58班

影響旅客人數約1萬1千名
影響旅客人數約1萬2千名

Last edited by coolfish1103; Jun 22, 2019 at 10:34 am
Old Jun 22, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: EVA: Gold; Starlux: Explorer; China Airlines: Gold
Originally Posted by Chang11
Have not heard any reports on the number or percentage of FA that are on strike, anyone know?
Based on the union, up till today, the union has collected 1900 FA's passport that is 2/3 of the FA voted for strikes (3000 FA votes for strikes). EVA maintains 40% of their flights till 28 June.

Last edited by Taten_R.O.C.; Jun 22, 2019 at 11:02 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.