Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, I guess a lot of them essentially like their jobs and know they can't get a better deal elsewhere but still chose to strike to see if they can get more? It is very Taiwanese to "cry poor"

Looks like the vote will be announced at 06:30 GMT (in about 2.5 hours)...

- 2,350 FAs surrendered their passport and they were eligible to vote
- vote will end at Noon TPE time 29 June, as of 10:00, 1,200 voted
- they will make decision based on the voting results - valid yes/no ballot must exceed 50% and they will go with simple majority
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by username
So, I guess a lot of them essentially like their jobs and know they can't get a better deal elsewhere but still chose to strike to see if they can get more? It is very Taiwanese to "cry poor"

Looks like the vote will be announced at 06:30 GMT (in about 2.5 hours)...

- 2,350 FAs surrendered their passport and they were eligible to vote
- vote will end at Noon TPE time 29 June, as of 10:00, 1,200 voted
- they will make decision based on the voting results - valid yes/no ballot must exceed 50% and they will go with simple majority
Well, I believe it is 7 am GMT now. Any results yet? Has sanity prevailed, one wonders.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:12 am

No result has been announced yet. Vote ended at 12pm local time, and they moved the ballots to another place for close-door ballot-counting.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold AA Gold NW Silver Marriott Plat. SPG Plat. Hilton Gold Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Yeah they probably would have gotten all these without a strike.

1 is non-existent had the strike not occurred.
2 is increase for long haul, EVA originally proposed NT150 per leg, so nothing changed for short-haul but +NT100 for long haul per leg.
3 they got 4 months overnight at Beijing and 6 months overnight at Tokyo, compared to nothing before
4 they got a meeting with the chairman/president but not on the board meeting
5 union get 1 cabin officers pick for disciplinary hearing (out of 5) and 1 additional FA to appear on the side hearing only
6 EVA already agreed that prior to strike

So if the FA union agree to this, the FAs will get NT100 more per leg on long haul than previously proposed, and the 4 months Beijing 6 months Tokyo overnight compare to not striking. This is in exchange for no year end bonus, loss of free ticket and discount tickets for 3 years cause they participated in strike in comparison to others who did not.
so they lose the year end bonus this year but they is one time while they get better work life on the overnights

and the strikers may lost the non rev private for a time but new staff won't

what is annual turnover for BR FAs?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like they voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:54 am

No ballot tally announced. LoL
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
STRIKE IS OVER!!
​​​http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201906290006.aspx#.XRc_iJUJE_k.twitter
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Looks like the strike will end with a ceremony later on today. I am still not sure this strike is silly as some people put it because unless they are the highest paid In the industry (In Taiwan) there is some rational to the strike. I think most air hostess couldn't care less what someone is getting paid in another country. They will only care what others get paid in Taiwan. Australia teachers strike mostly comparing what they get paid compared to other states in Australia. But UK teachers are paid far less in comparison. Teachers in Australia don't give a rats arse about that. Should american air hostess have no reason to sbecaus because mainland chinese air hostess get paid far less?

These are far more complex than people make them out to be. Some people maybe are angry that the airline they love is not as loved by its workers.

So simple question, are they paid more , same or less than CI Air hostess? I am not 100 percent sure but I think it has been significantly less. Hence why there was some expectation this was going to happen. Next question is pilots... Strikes were rare before in Taiwan but it was encouraged for politcal reasons and likely it cannot go back to the way it was.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by tris06
Looks like the strike will end with a ceremony later on today. I am still not sure this strike is silly as some people put it because unless they are the highest paid In the industry (In Taiwan) there is some rational to the strike. I think most air hostess couldn't care less what someone is getting paid in another country. They will only care what others get paid in Taiwan. Australia teachers strike mostly comparing what they get paid compared to other states in Australia. But UK teachers are paid far less in comparison. Teachers in Australia don't give a rats arse about that. Should american air hostess have no reason to sbecaus because mainland chinese air hostess get paid far less?

These are far more complex than people make them out to be. Some people maybe are angry that the airline they love is not as loved by its workers.

So simple question, are they paid more , same or less than CI Air hostess? I am not 100 percent sure but I think it has been significantly less. Hence why there was some expectation this was going to happen. Next question is pilots... Strikes were rare before in Taiwan but it was encouraged for politcal reasons and likely it cannot go back to the way it was.
Without further datapoint, this is only your assumption. This week the salary comparison between CI and BR has been discussed over and over in Taiwanese media, including base salary, flight hours, per diem, and bonus. Have you seen any of that if you "think it has been significantly less?"

A little more context, the same union also leaded the CI FA strike in 2016. Same level of incompetence during the negotiation, but eventually CI folded because the new government axed the CEO in order to appoint their own guy. The new CEO couldn't care less about the profit of a state-owned company. During that strike the per diem of CI FAs was raised from $2 to $5 per hour, counting from cabin door closed to opened.

Now it is the same union lead the BR FA strike, citing the per diem difference as the main reason while ignoring when all parts of income are considered, FA salary is comparable between two airlines. If you are confused, some of these people are not FA or even in transportation industry. Rather, they are contract officials that are associated with various unions. Some members eventually turned politicians and these are facts many Taiwanese are aware of. If planning strike is your job description, you would not necessarily make the best decision for your clients (FAs in these cases).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:31 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Sorry I don't live In Taiwan, I live In mainland China. So no I didn't follow Taiwanese media that closely this week. But it was talked about during the CI strike/s that CI staff were getting more (or You say costs more to the airline ) than BR staff. I think Coolfish will be the best to inform us on what the comparison in costs are. I find his views are quite accurate an for the most part unbaised.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Vote was go for EVA's plan for strike to end, but...

Strike to continue because union wanted EVA to agree no penalty for the 18 FAs who strike before 6/20 4pm duty announcement and all strikers to have benefits prior to 5/8 (as in all benefits remained the same as if there is no strike).
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:44 am

The strike is NOT over. The negotiation this evening at Taoyuan City Government broke down. The union reportedly asked EVA not to reduce any benefits for all FAs participating the strike, including the annual bonus, future raise, and staff travel. The union also asked EVA to forfeit any further legal actions against union or union members, including the 18 FAs who reported to duty on 6/20 before the strike commenced then checked out at 4 pm. EVA is willing to respect the right to strike, but would not yield on other legal matters. The next negotiation is scheduled on 7/2. The drama continues.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by bearchemist
The strike is NOT over. The negotiation this evening at Taoyuan City Government broke down. The union reportedly asked EVA not to reduce any benefits for all FAs participating the strike, including the annual bonus, future raise, and staff travel. The union also asked EVA to forfeit any further legal actions against union or union members, including the 18 FAs who reported to duty on 6/20 before the strike commenced then checked out at 4 pm. EVA is willing to respect the right to strike, but would not yield on other legal matters. The next negotiation is scheduled on 7/2. The drama continues.
Most of FAs, who are union members, voted to stop the strike based on the conditions EVA offered on Friday. Now the "union" wants to continue the strike? How many rounds of voting does this union want?

Last edited by sfo3388; Jun 29, 2019 at 8:56 am
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: None anymore
So what was the point of the vote then?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Most of FAs, who are union members, voted to stop the strike based on the conditions EVA offered on Friday. Now the "union" wants to continue the strike? How many rounds of voting does this union want? Perhaps whoever wants to work just have to drop out of this union?
The vote was to end the strike when the agreement is signed. But an agreement could not be reached tonight, mostly on whether the benefits can be guaranteed as if the strike did not happen.

Nearly 3,000 members voted on 6/4, but no official vote count was given for today's vote. Reportedly ~1,200 people had voted one hour before the vote was closed, and there was report of ~1,500 total votes (although not officially verified). The union only announced the outcome is to end the strike pending agreement, but did not stated how many votes (or percentage of votes) are for that option.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.