Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
For Latest Information
  • Agreement has been reached. BR expects to resume full schedule by 20 July for flights out of TPE
  • Strike Information Page:
    • English: https://www.evaair.com/en-global/emer/strikeinfo.html Chinese
    • 中文: https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/emer/strikeinfo.html
  • Flight Status Page:
  • News Releases (Chinese as it is more current): https://www.evaair.com/zh-tw/about-eva-air/news/travel-news/?page=1&filter=Travel+Advisory
  • Hello Kitty Services suspended during the strike
  • In-Flight services are streamlined + no duty-free sales due to reduced staffing onboard
Real Life Accounts / Advises on How Problems Should be / are Getting Handled History of Strike (reverse chronological order, all times TPE (GMT +8))
  • 2019/07/06 - Agreement was reached, full schedule is expected by the end of July
  • 2019/07/02 - negotiation session did not resolve the strike. Strike continues
  • 2019/06/29 Evening - more disagreements during negotiations to hammer out new agreement. Strike continue
  • 2019/06/29 3:39PM - Union announced the FAs voted to end the strike, pending new agreement being drafted and signed
  • 2019/06/29 12:00PM, flight attendant vote to determine whether to continue the strike concluded
  • 2019/06/20 2:09PM, strike announced starting 16:00 TPE Time (GMT +8) on 6/20
  • 2019/06/20 1PM TPE Time: Negotiation Session started and was broadcast live. Video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjzS5W_LaIM and the dramatic moment is at 1:08 into the video
Reference
Print Wikipost

Flight Attendants Strike Vote

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by unleashed
Same here - they've just contacted me.
They really pushed me to accept a refund.
I've refused and asked them to re-book me on the other EVA flight leaving LAX 30 mins earlier.
Then they said there are no seats available on the sister flight - BR11, according to "their system".
I've refused to accept that either saying that expertflyer.com shows plenty available seats.
Only then they've agreed to contact EVA.
Fingers crossed.
Thats what I’m trying to figure out too. A lot of flights aren’t on sale anymore (in their system, too), but why can’t they get us on them if there are empty seats? They suggested I just go to the airport and standby, but that’s a real pain.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Well.......waited for about 40 minutes with the LAX office phone for my canceled HKG-TPE-LAX flight in premium economy. Agent was super nice, gave me one option. After I told him I wouldn't be in HKG by the time he provided, he gladly provided another one. At the end, rebooked onto a direct cathay flight to LAX in premium economy. Unfortunately, only middle seats left which I will do my best to change if I can and absorb the cost myself if I have to. But at least I have a flight home thanks to the kind EVA agent. Whelp, that's all for storytime today.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by gilboman
that non-union FA is a free loader, how is she not? You can't expect to not join the union but then enjoy all the union benefits. it's like not joining a club but expect free use of all of the club's benefits
Originally Posted by gengar
Literal admission here that the union is nothing more than a protection racket. You couldn't make this stuff up.
The second statement is an outlandish exaggeration and unfounded. Gilboman is offering a view that reflects an accepted practice in the developed world, particularly the EU and North America. In most western jurisdictions, a worker is not obliged to join a union or to pay dues as a condition of employment unless the collective bargaining agreement between the employer and the union has set out the requirement. The principle behind the requirement to pay dues (aka automatic check off) even if not a union member was to prevent the freeloading of workers who would gain the benefits of the collective agreement, without making any contribution to the costs of obtaining those benefits. Keep in mind that many of the negotiated workplace improvements are a reflection of the experts retained to support the changes and to negotiate them. These changes often require data through studies or research to support the change. All of this costs money. The concept of fairness is a long standing principle of successful labour negotiation.
It should also be understood, that the TFAU position does not require anyone to join the union. Rather TFAU is asking non-union members to pay a fee, reflective of the individually allocated costs, that would grant them the same benefits as union members. The concept is no different than that which is applied to professional associations or "orders" of professionals. This is a concept that was accepted about 70+ years ago elsewhere.Some of Taiwan's businesses need to advance beyond the era of indentured servitude.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by BlackHappy

Thats what I’m trying to figure out too. A lot of flights aren’t on sale anymore (in their system, too), but why can’t they get us on them if there are empty seats? They suggested I just go to the airport and standby, but that’s a real pain.
Original flight BR16 TPE-LAX 20Jun cancelled.
Replacement flight BR6 21 Jun.
RL Class second cabin, 10 seats open, I did not check upfront.
PE Class where I was, 36 seats occupied out of 64.
Economy Class about 95% full.
I was surprised at the load up front, considering passengers transferred to BR12 were begging unsuccessfully to get on BR6 at the BR16 gate counter.
My opinion on the BR6 load factor : RL and PE were not filled just in case they did not have extra FAs shown up, and they operated with just the minimum required FAs. Extra FAs normally working upfront, without them, service may be slacking, and RL pax are the first ones to complain especially FT members.
So far my original flights for this weekend are on schedule
unleashed and BlackHappy like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by asiadxer
Original flight BR16 TPE-LAX 20Jun cancelled.
Replacement flight BR6 21 Jun.
I was surprised at the load up front, considering passengers transferred to BR12 were begging unsuccessfully to get on BR6 at the BR16 gate counter.
I'm sorry if I'm confused/missing something..
Both BR16 and BR6 have been cancelled.
only BR12 kept going from the beginning of the strike.
on which flight the passengers were begging to get?

Edit: BR6 has been cancelled starting with June 22
It kept flying on prior days.
Disregard my question..

Last edited by unleashed; Jun 26, 2019 at 7:05 pm
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Negotiations Tonight

Spoke with a EVA agent at the LAX office and she informed me that negotiations between the airline and union will take place tonight. Not sure, how true or accurate this is, but let’s see
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:34 pm

"The union would collect opinions from all of its members on how to adjust its demands and draft a new version today, union member Chu Chia-yun (曲佳雲) told other members on the picket line outside EVA headquarters in Taoyuan’s Nankan (南崁).“If you want to fight to the end, please show us your determination, but if you want this to be over, and you think this is just about dignity, the union can also accept that,” she said"
Union to adjust demands to resume talks with EVA - Taipei Times

Looking for a way out?
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The second statement is an outlandish exaggeration and unfounded.
This is an economic strike where union members are bullying non-members. That is precisely how a protection racket operates.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by danyalrulez
Spoke with a EVA agent at the LAX office and she informed me that negotiations between the airline and union will take place tonight. Not sure, how true or accurate this is, but let’s see
There were closed doors negotiation initiated by the labor ministry on 6/22 that was not reported to the public (known 6/26). According to the labor ministry, neither party signed the agreement made on that date, which was the number of vacation days for union members doing union work. Press cited that EVA was unhappy with the negotiation as the labor ministry is asking EVA to cave in for many demands.

EVA gave some FA notary documents to the union for the passports (2 consecutive days). Union accepted the documents but will not return the passports unless the FA show up in person to claim (and it will take 2 extra days).

Supposedly another negotiation was to be set on 6/25, EVA did not show up.

On 6/26, EVA's lawyer team created a 4 hour window (9a-1p) of accepting documentations from the FA to report passport being hostage by the union. EVA said they will absorb the costs if the FAs show up to apply. ~20 people showed up to report passport losses in order to start the application of new passport. Press said also around 200 FAs phoned/inquired. This does not include the number of notaries previously accepted.

Those FAs who supported strike and took pictures in Vienna returned to Taipei via another flight (Vienna is not in operation). They came to union to deliver their passports showing they are now striking.

EVA said (6/24) they will not bother with negotiations if the union does not propose a proposal with logic.

It's reported that the union will come up with something on 6/27 for a re-negotiation. However, based on what the union members been saying through television shows and in front of the company's doors, it seems like nothing was discussed other than repeating the demands.

Again, lawyers went to the union on 6/26 to deliver 32 notaries for returning passports and no one from the union accepted. They just said the FA must show up in person to claim and the process will take 2 days. They believe these FAs are under pressure from the company to claim and they will not accept these notaries unless they discuss with the FA personally.

EVA will announce additional cancellations on 6/28 for the next 5 days (7/6-10).
tropikey and unleashed like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:16 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
They just said the FA must show up in person to claim and the process will take 2 days. They believe these FAs are under pressure from the company to claim and they will not accept these notaries unless they discuss with the FA personally.
The union really acts like a mob.
I think EVA wants this confrontation as evidence in filing a criminal lawsuit against the union.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Union has just announced that they are accepting majority of management terms and are going back to the table.

Remaining is $150 flight safety bonus- how it is applied.

For Beijing and Tokyo- extend the month where over night is applied or more detail on dedicated Beijing/Tokyo rotation.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by krispykrme
Union has just announced that they are accepting majority of management terms and are going back to the table.

Remaining is $150 flight safety bonus- how it is applied.

For Beijing and Tokyo- extend the month where over night is applied or more detail on dedicated Beijing/Tokyo rotation.
Live feeds from the union:

1. Union wants EVA to find alternative plans to strengthen the union in exchange for free rides.
2. Per diem increase can be replaced with flight safety $, but should be further discuss by segment, hours and/or duration.
3. Overnight flight for Beijing and Tokyo. Monthly plans.
4. Union to participate in EVA's board meetings and all labor issue related meetings. Union should be notified for any management changes and job offerrings.
5. 4 additional demands not released per labor ministry request.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by gengar
This is an economic strike where union members are bullying non-members. That is precisely how a protection racket operates.
No, that is not how protection rackets operate. Please substantiate your claim of bullying. Where are the corroborated reports of bullying? I have the impression that you are voicing your personal opinion as fact. What's your point with the reference to an "economic" strike? With the exception of work safety collective actions, strikes almost always have have a financial cause, and are in effect "economic".

How is this "bullying" being carried out? 80% of the EVA TFAU membership had to vote in favour of the strike. That's a rather high threshold to achieve, so there was obviously a significant sentiment in favour of the collective action. Approximately 75% of EVA's working FAs are unionized. My understanding is that non unionized workers are more likely to have senior or onboard "managerial "roles . I think it would be a tad difficult to "bully" the senior purser or SD. It's a bit of a stretch to claim that the young women who are the core FAs are given to physical assaults, unless we are expected to believe that they have become Hello Kitty styled Ninjas.
Less hysterical hyperbole and just the facts please.
jmw and dav662 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Live feeds from the union:

1. Union wants EVA to find alternative plans to strengthen the union in exchange for free rides.
2. Per diem increase can be replaced with flight safety $, but should be further discuss by segment, hours and/or duration.
3. Overnight flight for Beijing and Tokyo. Monthly plans.
4. Union to participate in EVA's board meetings and all labor issue related meetings. Union should be notified for any management changes and job offerrings.
5. 4 additional demands not released per labor ministry request.
if I am BR management- I won’t cave to government pressure.

Tsai will I’ll be gone if she continue to allow government to bully business
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krispykrme
if I am BR management- I won’t cave to government pressure.

Tsai will I’ll be gone if she continue to allow government to bully business
I think BR management will have to move somewhat to show they are willing - even thought they have done a decent amount already. It is all part of a "face saving" thing. Iron fist won't work going forward so they do have to adjust - not too much to show "strike gets you candies" but enough to show "we care". It won't be easy going forward. I just hope it does not screw the reputation they worked so hard to get the last almost 30 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.