Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

What if Vietnam EVisa Doesn't Arrive On Time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold

I requested my Vietnam EVisa 4 business days before my flight there, and at this point 2 of them have passed and my application is still processing. It should be done processing by the time my flight to Vietnam, but in case it doesn't, what is my recourse? Am willing to pay extra at the airport to expedite something in order to not miss this flight.

My itinerary is LAX to Taipei to Saigon. Assuming the EVisa has not arrived by the departure time of my Los Angeles flight, should I expect to be denied boarding for that flight, or only once I've arrived in Taipei?

Definitely will plan this further ahead next time!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)
visa on arrival

I’m surprised by how long it takes to deliver you evisa. Mine was in less than a couple of hours.

You can also get a visa on arrival. If I remember well you need two recent photos and cash to pay to immigration officer.

I suggest you check the Vietnam ambassy website for more details.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by 18wheeler_vanrekt
I requested my Vietnam EVisa 4 business days before my flight there, and at this point 2 of them have passed and my application is still processing. It should be done processing by the time my flight to Vietnam, but in case it doesn't, what is my recourse? Am willing to pay extra at the airport to expedite something in order to not miss this flight.

My itinerary is LAX to Taipei to Saigon. Assuming the EVisa has not arrived by the departure time of my Los Angeles flight, should I expect to be denied boarding for that flight, or only once I've arrived in Taipei?

Definitely will plan this further ahead next time!
They’ll deny you boarding in LAX. I would check out the visa-on-arrival program as a backup.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: TK E+, RJ S, AZ E
OP, are you a US passport holder? Do you have any other passport?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ Krisflyer Gold
Just a US Passport holder
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:33 am

As another poster suggested, you might want to do a visa on arrival approach as an insurance policy. That will, unfortunately, require you to hire one of many services (advertising online - I've used several of them over the years and have never had a problem) and they will get an approval letter to you on a same-day basis if needed - for an extra fee of course. This will allow you to board the aircraft. Without the eVisa or the visa on arrival approval letter you will, indeed, be denied boarding.

I've had generally good experiences getting an eVisa approved quickly. Usually within 48 hours. However, earlier this year it took 5 days (the approval coming on my day of arrival) so at that point I had to bite the bullet and get a visa on arrival approval letter in order to board my flight.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:46 am

May I ask you why one needs any pre-approval when traveling to visa-on-arrival countries?
I've flown multiple times to one such country and no one has ever asked me to see a visa prior to boarding.
Upon further research - it's indeed not the same case.
The "visa-on-arrival" routine differs considerably from country to country...
Admittedly I"m not that well traveled.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by unleashed; Apr 22, 2019 at 10:55 am
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Platinum Elite
It should clear soon. Had this happen to me as well. My wife (Canadian passport) cleared in 48 hours. Mine (US passport) took just under 2 weeks (8 biz days).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.