Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Eva Air's New Fare Family

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Eva Air's New Fare Family

So recently many airlines have broken down their classes of service when it comes to selling a ticket. Eg: "economy basic" "economy standard" "economy plus" etc... Eva Air's "basic" premium economy class charges around 50$ for seat selection. I for one think that's a little cheap on the carriers part. But that's just me. Also for example if you buy a "basic" premium economy ticket from YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ premium economy is not offered between TPE-MNL-TPE. As Eva uses the 777-300 between these cities the same "premium economy" seats are there for selection but its not marketed as premium economy. Having said that, these seats always fill up first cause people know they are more spacious. So when they fill up you are forced to choose an economy seat and if you want a bulkhead seat or exit seat in economy you have to pay around 60$ more. In my opinion I believe if you purchase premium economy there shouldn't be any "extra" fees except for excess baggage and changing ticket dates etc.
Am I wrong?
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:23 pm

It's disappointing to hear that EVA has now changed discount PE fares to charge for seat selection. IMHO, they should restrict the front economy cabin on TPE-MNL to PE only but then it is a short flight and the 777-300 is way better than the Uni Airways Airbus without PE doing TPE-HKG. That said, BR's PE fares ex-YYZ are often the lowest and they know all too well that we'd rather pay them $1,700 for an excellent PE without seat selection YYZ-TPE-HKG than pay $1,100 to AC for YYZ-HKG in a tiny economy seat.

There is one benefit for us of not having PE on the short-haul routes. Since the economy sections are coded as Y or B fares, the shorter segments are upgradeable to business class using other Star Alliance mileage programs.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yulbusdriver
So recently many airlines have broken down their classes of service when it comes to selling a ticket. Eg: "economy basic" "economy standard" "economy plus" etc... Eva Air's "basic" premium economy class charges around 50$ for seat selection. I for one think that's a little cheap on the carriers part. But that's just me. Also for example if you buy a "basic" premium economy ticket from YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ premium economy is not offered between TPE-MNL-TPE. As Eva uses the 777-300 between these cities the same "premium economy" seats are there for selection but its not marketed as premium economy. Having said that, these seats always fill up first cause people know they are more spacious. So when they fill up you are forced to choose an economy seat and if you want a bulkhead seat or exit seat in economy you have to pay around 60$ more. In my opinion I believe if you purchase premium economy there shouldn't be any "extra" fees except for excess baggage and changing ticket dates etc.
Am I wrong?
I see no issues in requiring fees for seat selection. If you want to select before T-72, then buy the more expensive fare bucket. You get what you paid for.

With regards to the PE sears on non-PE routes, that is made clear at the top of the booking page. The inform you which routes are and aren't PE in Asia. The cabin is treated the same as Y, and therefore, it's first come first serve for those seats!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the info on upgrading between TPE-MNL-TPE it never occured to me I'll have a look at theior website. Do they accept Aeroplan points for the upgrade? Just an FYI I priced out a Premium Economy PLUS ticket for the same routing YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ which totaled 3300$ and they still wanted 60$ for an exit seat in Y class yikes!
Old Mar 13, 2019, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by yulbusdriver
Thanks for your reply and thanks for the info on upgrading between TPE-MNL-TPE it never occured to me I'll have a look at theior website. Do they accept Aeroplan points for the upgrade? Just an FYI I priced out a Premium Economy PLUS ticket for the same routing YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ which totaled 3300$ and they still wanted 60$ for an exit seat in Y class yikes!
You don't need a Plus ticket to select seats beforehand; standard gets you seat selection for free as well. Exit rows are only free for IML Diamond/Gold members, regardless of your ticket.

Aeroplan miles can be used for upgrades; you need to do it via SAUA at least 24 hours prior to departure.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Yes I have been in that situation. They should give the PE passengers the premium economy cabin on the TPE to MNL sector. Because the tickets I buy is PE from YYZ to MNL and not PE to YYZ to TPE.
yulbusdriver likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 1:53 pm
mck

Just noticed this new fare class for my family’s flight...

-Does anyone have experience trying to up fare PE basic P class so that EVA miles can be used for upgrade?

-We used to do airport upgrade routinely with EVA miles but that appears not permitted with new rules, anyone have experience?

thanks,
m
Old Mar 16, 2019, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by mck
Just noticed this new fare class for my family’s flight...

-Does anyone have experience trying to up fare PE basic P class so that EVA miles can be used for upgrade?

-We used to do airport upgrade routinely with EVA miles but that appears not permitted with new rules, anyone have experience?

thanks,
m
Call the center and they will quote you the price (new taxes and fees will apply).
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:55 am

Programs: EVA: Gold; Starlux: Explorer; China Airlines: Gold
Originally Posted by dav662
Yes I have been in that situation. They should give the PE passengers the premium economy cabin on the TPE to MNL sector. Because the tickets I buy is PE from YYZ to MNL and not PE to YYZ to TPE.
Actually EVA dose mention that the PE fares only for NA to Taipei and certain Asia cities with PE services (SIN, PEK, BKK and SGN). Leg to other Asia cities only Y class service is provided. You may check out the fare rule next time when you book
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Asiana/EVA/Bonvoy
Haven't flown or paid attention to EVA in many years, been on QR and CX.
EVA was about $200 less than CX for our upcoming BKK-LAX trip.

Did the booking, went to select our seats. Seat map was pretty much wide open for the June departure. And then I noticed there's a charge for PE seat selection. Huh? Kept going just to see what it would be for all 4 sectors. Wow, 7,000 Baht - about + $200 USD, which puts it same as CX in PE.

I came here trying to find answers and did. "Fare family" effective earlier this month. PE "Basic" = chargeable seats. I like PE for the extra comfort/space and to rise above the fray a bit. But this feels like a shot across the PE bow. What's next, charging for the pillow and blanket? LOL. Back to CX, or maybe try OZ this time.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:49 am

Programs: TG ROP Gold, SQ KF Gold, Marriott Ambassador Elite, Accor ALL Plat., Shangri-La Jade, GHA Plat.
I'm really pissed at these new J class fare buckets...

I'm based in BKK, and flying to Europe with BR used to be 30% cheaper than TG with an arguably better hard product.
I used to pay only around 88k THB for a BKK-TPE-CDG-TPE-BKK all in J class, with very lax penalties.
Now the cheapest basic business class fare 117k USD, with crazy penalties (10k THB for refund, 10k for change, 4k for no show)...

Gone are the days of an unbeatable value for money with reverse herringbone seats...
Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I dont find their new fare family competitive at all. AC PE class allows for seat selection as well as 125% mileage accumulation whereas BR's PE class 100% mileage accumulation and chargeable seat selection. I used to fly AC a lot to Asia but started using BR as their fares were better plus the overnight flight times I found were much better also. Their marketing department need to look at what the other airlines are offering. Hope they dont reconfigure their 777's to a 3X4X3
Old Mar 28, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, 20 years
EVA's new fair structure, if you purchase discounted airfare you have to pay for seat selection. $40US Long-haul & $15 regional. The good all seats were open for selection in PE except the two window basinet sides, for a June trip. EVA's price structure appears to me to be more expensive now, even shopping the sales. Paid last 2 years for PE $1,100/$1,000US for PE to BKK, which included free seat selection though limited availability. This year for PE $1,600 plus $110 for seat selection. And oil prices are still down.

If I had purchased a standard fare which includes complimentary seat selection it would have cost me $2,404 US RT ($700 more). I'll pay the fee. All this adds up when your paying for 3 seats.

EVA's new fare family cost basis is quickly approaching it's competitors fares. And with Cathay, Singapore and Jal entering the SEA market I will have more choices, I already scored a Biz fare for October on Singapore for a great rate.
Nanda Chai likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 10:37 pm

I guess I was in the dark about this until I found out just now. Disappointing.
Just booked P-class PE for this winter, only to find out about the $40 seat assignment fee which will end up costing me $320 round-trip for our family of 4. As it is, EVA's P class only earns you UA miles at only 50% conversion. On the other hand, I also have a PE booking on SQ this fall at their lowest PE booking class which gets me free seat assignment and UA mile earning at 100%.
Nanda Chai likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: Asiana/EVA/Bonvoy
Originally Posted by evergrn
I guess I was in the dark about this until I found out just now. Disappointing.
Just booked P-class PE for this winter, only to find out about the $40 seat assignment fee which will end up costing me $320 round-trip for our family of 4. As it is, EVA's P class only earns you UA miles at only 50% conversion. On the other hand, I also have a PE booking on SQ this fall at their lowest PE booking class which gets me free seat assignment and UA mile earning at 100%.
-----------------------------
Yup, it's a surprise. It's not just the extra money, it's the desperation to parse their existing online services, and then charge you for something that has been routine all along. And then what's next? I didn't pay it, cancelled my booking and decided to lump it and fly regular economy this time on Asiana. Figured what the he!!, fly on the A380 before they go away, and we all wind up crammed into A350s. Sigh.

I selected my way out of an A350 flight for my LAX trip, choosing A380s all the way through. PE on Asiana's A350 didn't look very good. The first few rows in front of the ECO cabin...... right where the bassinets and babies will be. Uh, I don't think so.....no thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.