Eva Air's New Fare Family

Old Mar 11, 19, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Eva Air's New Fare Family

So recently many airlines have broken down their classes of service when it comes to selling a ticket. Eg: "economy basic" "economy standard" "economy plus" etc... Eva Air's "basic" premium economy class charges around 50$ for seat selection. I for one think that's a little cheap on the carriers part. But that's just me. Also for example if you buy a "basic" premium economy ticket from YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ premium economy is not offered between TPE-MNL-TPE. As Eva uses the 777-300 between these cities the same "premium economy" seats are there for selection but its not marketed as premium economy. Having said that, these seats always fill up first cause people know they are more spacious. So when they fill up you are forced to choose an economy seat and if you want a bulkhead seat or exit seat in economy you have to pay around 60$ more. In my opinion I believe if you purchase premium economy there shouldn't be any "extra" fees except for excess baggage and changing ticket dates etc.
Am I wrong?
Old Mar 12, 19, 1:23 pm

It's disappointing to hear that EVA has now changed discount PE fares to charge for seat selection. IMHO, they should restrict the front economy cabin on TPE-MNL to PE only but then it is a short flight and the 777-300 is way better than the Uni Airways Airbus without PE doing TPE-HKG. That said, BR's PE fares ex-YYZ are often the lowest and they know all too well that we'd rather pay them $1,700 for an excellent PE without seat selection YYZ-TPE-HKG than pay $1,100 to AC for YYZ-HKG in a tiny economy seat.

There is one benefit for us of not having PE on the short-haul routes. Since the economy sections are coded as Y or B fares, the shorter segments are upgradeable to business class using other Star Alliance mileage programs.
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:09 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by yulbusdriver View Post
So recently many airlines have broken down their classes of service when it comes to selling a ticket. Eg: "economy basic" "economy standard" "economy plus" etc... Eva Air's "basic" premium economy class charges around 50$ for seat selection. I for one think that's a little cheap on the carriers part. But that's just me. Also for example if you buy a "basic" premium economy ticket from YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ premium economy is not offered between TPE-MNL-TPE. As Eva uses the 777-300 between these cities the same "premium economy" seats are there for selection but its not marketed as premium economy. Having said that, these seats always fill up first cause people know they are more spacious. So when they fill up you are forced to choose an economy seat and if you want a bulkhead seat or exit seat in economy you have to pay around 60$ more. In my opinion I believe if you purchase premium economy there shouldn't be any "extra" fees except for excess baggage and changing ticket dates etc.
Am I wrong?
I see no issues in requiring fees for seat selection. If you want to select before T-72, then buy the more expensive fare bucket. You get what you paid for.

With regards to the PE sears on non-PE routes, that is made clear at the top of the booking page. The inform you which routes are and aren't PE in Asia. The cabin is treated the same as Y, and therefore, it's first come first serve for those seats!
Old Mar 12, 19, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply and thanks for the info on upgrading between TPE-MNL-TPE it never occured to me I'll have a look at theior website. Do they accept Aeroplan points for the upgrade? Just an FYI I priced out a Premium Economy PLUS ticket for the same routing YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ which totaled 3300$ and they still wanted 60$ for an exit seat in Y class yikes!
Old Mar 13, 19, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by yulbusdriver View Post
Thanks for your reply and thanks for the info on upgrading between TPE-MNL-TPE it never occured to me I'll have a look at theior website. Do they accept Aeroplan points for the upgrade? Just an FYI I priced out a Premium Economy PLUS ticket for the same routing YYZ-TPE-MNL-TPE-YYZ which totaled 3300$ and they still wanted 60$ for an exit seat in Y class yikes!
You don't need a Plus ticket to select seats beforehand; standard gets you seat selection for free as well. Exit rows are only free for IML Diamond/Gold members, regardless of your ticket.

Aeroplan miles can be used for upgrades; you need to do it via SAUA at least 24 hours prior to departure.
Old Mar 15, 19, 12:50 pm

Programs: QR, AC, EVA, UL and PAL
Yes I have been in that situation. They should give the PE passengers the premium economy cabin on the TPE to MNL sector. Because the tickets I buy is PE from YYZ to MNL and not PE to YYZ to TPE.
Old Mar 16, 19, 1:53 pm
mck

Just noticed this new fare class for my family’s flight...

-Does anyone have experience trying to up fare PE basic P class so that EVA miles can be used for upgrade?

-We used to do airport upgrade routinely with EVA miles but that appears not permitted with new rules, anyone have experience?

thanks,
m
Old Mar 16, 19, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by mck View Post
Just noticed this new fare class for my family’s flight...

-Does anyone have experience trying to up fare PE basic P class so that EVA miles can be used for upgrade?

-We used to do airport upgrade routinely with EVA miles but that appears not permitted with new rules, anyone have experience?

thanks,
m
Call the center and they will quote you the price (new taxes and fees will apply).
Old Mar 18, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: Eva Air
Originally Posted by dav662 View Post
Yes I have been in that situation. They should give the PE passengers the premium economy cabin on the TPE to MNL sector. Because the tickets I buy is PE from YYZ to MNL and not PE to YYZ to TPE.
Actually EVA dose mention that the PE fares only for NA to Taipei and certain Asia cities with PE services (SIN, PEK, BKK and SGN). Leg to other Asia cities only Y class service is provided. You may check out the fare rule next time when you book