Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hayzel7773
EFFECTIVE MARCH 5TH, 2019

Eva Air WiFi will be a data-based plan instead of a time-based plan. Time-based plans will be suspended.

New Rates (USD)
  • 30MB* - $4.95
  • 100MB - $14.95
  • 300MB - $29.95
*There is a speed restriction of 100 kb/s.

Terms and Conditions
  • Plans can only be purchased onboard the aircraft
  • Mileage redemption and Pre-Purchase will be suspended online
  • Plans are limited to use within the purchase flight (i.e. BR67 TPE-BKK-LHR, your purchased plan can only work for one segment)
Experience Free Wifi Onboard:
  • On Longhaul Flights Only:
    • Plus in Business Class: 100MB
    • Standard in Business and Plus in PE: 50MB
    • Basic in Business and Plus in Economy: 30MB
  • Valid until August 25, 2019
https://www.evaair.com/en-global/flying-with-eva/inflight-entertainment-service/staying-connected-in-seat-power/
Print Wikipost

Eva Air Revamps Wifi Service

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 8:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Eva Air Revamps Wifi Service

Effective March 5th, 2019, WiFi plans will be sold by data amounts instead of time amounts. Pre-purchase and Mileage redemption will be suspended.

I'm disappointed with some of BR's current changes.
Violin1990 and Doctorfatpanda like this.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Feb 27, 2019 at 8:54 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
That's pretty awful - moving in the wrong direction.

Then again, my wifi was almost completely inoperable during my last two trips, so I've been planning to be without it. At least T-Mobile/T-Systems was quick to refund on both occasions.
Violin1990 likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:02 pm

Whilst it's a step in the wrong direction it's worth pointing out that EVA isn't the first airline that uses the T-Mobile Panasonic system to make this change.

Etihad changed their prices a couple of years ago now and Singapore Airlines changed theirs from time to data based as well.

Here are some of what the Panasonic based wifi airlines now charge:

Etihad charges (US$)
$4.95 for 30MB ($.165 per MB)
$11.95 for 90MB ($.133 per MB)
$19.95 for 180MB ($.111 per MB)

Singapore charges (US$)
$8 for 30MB ($.267 per MB)
$15 for 60MB ($.25 per MB)
$23 for 100MB ($.23 per MB)

EVA Charges (US$)
$14.95 for 100MB ($.1495 per MB)
$29.95 for 300MB ($.0998 per MB)

Scoot charges (US$)
$5.99 for 20MB ($.2995 per MB)
$16.99 for 80MB ($.212375 per MB)
$32.99 for 200MB ($.16495 per MB)

Aer Lingus charges (US$)
$7.95 for 50MB ($.159 per MB)
$15.95 for 120MB ($.133 per MB)
$32.95 for 270MB ($.122 per MB)

Obviously, that's just a selection of the data based airlines but is shows that EVA is still the cheapest when it comes to the cost per MB.

If you've got a flight in the next 6 months and can still purchase a time based plan via the website then you'll still be able to use it likewise Mastercard Boingo will still provide unlimited and free access for those with a Boingo eligible MasterCard.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gengar
That's pretty awful - moving in the wrong direction.

Then again, my wifi was almost completely inoperable during my last two trips, so I've been planning to be without it. At least T-Mobile/T-Systems was quick to refund on both occasions.
Originally Posted by henrus
Whilst it's a step in the wrong direction it's worth pointing out that EVA isn't the first airline that uses the T-Mobile Panasonic system to make this change.

Etihad changed their prices a couple of years ago now and Singapore Airlines changed theirs from time to data based as well.

Here are some of what the Panasonic based wifi airlines now charge:

Etihad charges (US$)
$11.95 for 90MB ($.133 per MB)
$19.95 for 180MB ($.111 per MB)

Singapore charges (US$)
$8 for 30MB ($.267 per MB)
$15 for 60MB ($.25 per MB)
$23 for 100MB ($.23 per MB)

EVA Charges (US$)
$14.95 for 100MB ($.1495 per MB)
$29.95 for 300MB ($.0998 per MB)

Scoot charges (US$)
$5.99 for 20MB ($.2995 per MB)
$16.99 for 80MB ($.212375 per MB)
$32.99 for 200MB ($.16495 per MB)

Aer Lingus charges (US$)
$7.95 for 50MB ($.159 per MB)
$15.95 for 120MB ($.133 per MB)
$32.95 for 270MB ($.122 per MB)

Obviously, that's just a selection of the data based airlines but is shows that EVA is still the cheapest when it comes to the cost per MB.

If you've got a flight in the next 6 months and can still purchase a time based plan via the website then you'll still be able to use it likewise Mastercard Boingo will still provide unlimited and free access for those with a Boingo eligible MasterCard.
Part of the change is because of Deutsche Telekom's revamped pricing system. Time-based plans are no longer economical for BR.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Part of the change is because of Deutsche Telekom's revamped pricing system. Time-based plans are no longer economical for BR.
Airlines must still be making something for the data rates or they're just really expensive upward of US$100 per GB (based on the cheapest per MB cost of the EVA plan).

I guess whilst expensive (and involving a new install) the question will be asked about introducing the new gogo 2ku where a flight pass sets you back US$20 and speeds over Europe can be as much as 50mbps.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Has anyone been able to figure out how to get the code for complimentary wifi? The literature states it is supposed to be available from 48hrs to 3hrs before flight, but when accessing the flight information online there was absolutely no link or anything on the website showing where to get the code.

Ground staff at SFO were clueless (but to be expected).
Onboard, FAs (even purser) were clueless.

I might e-mail BR and see if they'll somehow credit/compensate for the wifi I eventually bought on-board.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:58 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:16 am

WiFi Code

Trying to bump this,as I also am trying to find out this information

Has anyone been able to figure out how to get the code for complimentary wifi? The literature states it is supposed to be available from 48hrs to 3hrs before flight, but when accessing the flight information online there was absolutely no link or anything on the website showing where to get the code.

I might e-mail BR and see if they'll somehow credit/compensate for the wifi I eventually bought on-board.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 7:07 pm

Called EVA Air Hong Kong as I checked in within the 48 hour window but did not see link to get wifi voucher code. Reservations advised that free wifi is only given to tickets ISSUED after March 5 (not flight date). Oh dear..... So if you issued your ticket AFTER March 5, the link online would look different.
Rafael A Suarez likes this.

Last edited by zhaobao; Mar 15, 2019 at 7:13 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by zhaobao
Called EVA Air Hong Kong as I checked in within the 48 hour window but did not see link to get wifi voucher code. Reservations advised that free wifi is only given to tickets ISSUED after March 5 (not flight date). Oh dear..... So if you issued your ticket AFTER March 5, the link online would look different.
Wow, that's pretty terrible. Tagging @CeeGee also.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:30 am

That sucks,It is not worth the effort and there is probably something hidden in the T and C that covers it, but what would happen if I insisted that when I bought my ticket it was stated that I could pre purchase wifi(at the old price).
I could argue that that was one of the reasons that I bought my ticket and that now they have changed it.The amount they would lose if they gave the allowance to all RL ticket holders is small but I can imagine a lot of flyers finding out 48 hrs before they fly, that they are not eligible would not be very happy.
As I said,for me,it is just not worth the effort to chase up but to others it might be.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CeeGee
That sucks,It is not worth the effort and there is probably something hidden in the T and C that covers it, but what would happen if I insisted that when I bought my ticket it was stated that I could pre purchase wifi(at the old price).
I could argue that that was one of the reasons that I bought my ticket and that now they have changed it.The amount they would lose if they gave the allowance to all RL ticket holders is small but I can imagine a lot of flyers finding out 48 hrs before they fly, that they are not eligible would not be very happy.
As I said,for me,it is just not worth the effort to chase up but to others it might be.
Perhaps. If you are not a valuable customer though, they would just have you refer to Note 7:
  1. EVA Air has the legal right to make the final decision in the event of conflicting interpretations. EVA Air reserves the right to amend all relevant requirements or rules with regard to the inflight Wi-Fi service.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:05 pm

Also note that the free wifi advertised in their website is also limited by fare class.
Old May 5, 2019, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rafael A Suarez
Also note that the free wifi advertised in their website is also limited by fare class.
That's been made clear from the beginning. It's listed on the website by fare class.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
The link is fairly easy to find for wifi, although the amount seems pretty paltry. Not going to be streaming any shows, certainly.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The link is fairly easy to find for wifi, although the amount seems pretty paltry. Not going to be streaming any shows, certainly.

There is no way any streaming is going on with the available bandwidth, data caps or not. I could not even load some websites under the old plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.