Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Exiting TPE After Passing Through Transit Control (Airside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG

Hi There,

Apologies if this is a dumb or duplicated question (I did do a thread search to see if my question is already answered, but did not find anything).

Next week I am flying with Eva from VIE to BNE. The connection in TPE is quite long (16 hours), so I thought I would head into Taipei for a few hours (I might go via the Novotel for a quick nap and freshen up). I will be flying business class and will have a wheelie carry-on case with me, which I don't want to lug into the city.

I was thinking I could go through the transit procedure and then access the Infinity lounge, which the Eva website says has hand baggage storage. However once I had done that would it be possible to then proceed to immigration and exit the airport? I know that some airport layouts make this quite difficult once you are airside post-security screening.

Additionally, if I do use the Novotel for day use, I need to give an arrival time. Would 1 hour be about right for immigration queues early in the morning (my flight from Vienna arrives at around 7:30am)?

I'm looking forward to experiencing Eva and TPE for the first time and appreciate the advice of those with more knowledge of TPE.

Thanks, Shuttle
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: EVA: Gold; Starlux: Explorer; China Airlines: Gold
Your boarding pass to BNE is required to get the key to the locker to store your luggage in the Garden. Not sure if Infinity has the locker or not. If it’s an open space, maybe your next boarding pass is not required.
The Novotel is outside the terminal, once you clean your immegration, You need to get a 10 mins shuttle there and process the outboard procedure as normally.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Gold, QF, VA, CI
Originally Posted by Shuttle
Hi There,

Apologies if this is a dumb or duplicated question (I did do a thread search to see if my question is already answered, but did not find anything).

Next week I am flying with Eva from VIE to BNE. The connection in TPE is quite long (16 hours), so I thought I would head into Taipei for a few hours (I might go via the Novotel for a quick nap and freshen up). I will be flying business class and will have a wheelie carry-on case with me, which I don't want to lug into the city.

I was thinking I could go through the transit procedure and then access the Infinity lounge, which the Eva website says has hand baggage storage. However once I had done that would it be possible to then proceed to immigration and exit the airport? I know that some airport layouts make this quite difficult once you are airside post-security screening.

Additionally, if I do use the Novotel for day use, I need to give an arrival time. Would 1 hour be about right for immigration queues early in the morning (my flight from Vienna arrives at around 7:30am)?

I'm looking forward to experiencing Eva and TPE for the first time and appreciate the advice of those with more knowledge of TPE.

Thanks, Shuttle
Hi Shuttle,

Unfortunately you can't access the arrivals exit from where the Infinity lounge is. However the good news is there are lockers and a luggage minding service in the Arrivals Hall of T2 (recall it's left then left when you exit into the Arrivals Hall).

I've not personally used the luggage minding service but I have used the lockers. They're cheap, have English instructions and you can store all day.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/store3_1/1112

There are showers in the Arrivals area if you don't mind using them.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/store3_1/1113
Old Feb 17, 2019, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK E+, LH Sen, Accor Plat, Base level: AF, AS, DL, Hilton, IHG
Originally Posted by someone0000
Hi Shuttle,

Unfortunately you can't access the arrivals exit from where the Infinity lounge is. However the good news is there are lockers and a luggage minding service in the Arrivals Hall of T2 (recall it's left then left when you exit into the Arrivals Hall).

I've not personally used the luggage minding service but I have used the lockers. They're cheap, have English instructions and you can store all day.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/store3_1/1112

There are showers in the Arrivals area if you don't mind using them.

https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/english/store3_1/1113
Thank you very much for the advice someone0000 - you've saved me getting 'trapped' airside. I'll just exit the airport directly after arrriving than trying to access the lounge first and leave my trollycase at the public luggage storage as you suggest.

Shuttle
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by Shuttle

Thank you very much for the advice someone0000 - you've saved me getting 'trapped' airside. I'll just exit the airport directly after arrriving than trying to access the lounge first and leave my trollycase at the public luggage storage as you suggest.

Shuttle
It's not impossible to get out from Departures area but not easy and not recommended as kinda depends if staff will help you. I would go to Novotel, leave your bags there. The city train stops at the hotel (its one stop past the EVA air terminal (number 2), so you can use the city rail link (Taoyuan Metro) for your transport to the city centre. They sell day passes which would be good for your needs and cheaper.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Unless the Novotel has reasonable rates, I would suggest buying a day pass for Taoyuan Airport MRT so you can go to the city center and find a nice hotel there.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taipei
It's not impossible to get out from Departures area but not easy and not recommended as kinda depends if staff will help you. I would go to Novotel, leave your bags there. The city train stops at the hotel (its one stop past the EVA air terminal (number 2), so you can use the city rail link (Taoyuan Metro) for your transport to the city centre. They sell day passes which would be good for your needs and cheaper.
Thanks Taipei, that is what I was thinking would be the best course of action - I hadn't originally realised that the Novotel was on the MRT line, so I can easily stop off on the way back from the city centre if I do head into Taipei (I am planning a full day in the city on my return layover for sure).

Regards, Shuttle
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: IML GOLD, Bonvoy LTPE, WOH Globalist, AAEXPLT
Taipei also has many 5 star "hourly" hotels for a quick shower or nap. In case storage lockers are full, there are also full service shipping companies that can store for you, but it might be more expensive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.