Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy vs. Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Premium Economy vs. Business

Taking a trip from JFK to MNL for personal and I am going to have to pay for it.

I am used to flying J all the time. BR's premium economy doesn't look bad. Has anyone flown that product that could comment?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:02 am

PE is good product on the 777. It's reasonably spacious, you get a decent amenity kit, food is good, and overall I find it to be worth the additional cost over Y.

However in no way does it compare to J.

If you have points with an *A partner, look into booking a seat in Y and doing an upgrade to J.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mxqisit
PE is good product on the 777. It's reasonably spacious, you get a decent amenity kit, food is good, and overall I find it to be worth the additional cost over Y.

However in no way does it compare to J.

If you have points with an *A partner, look into booking a seat in Y and doing an upgrade to J.
Thanks for the response and the good tips. Could I book a seat in Y with UA points and then upgrade, or is award travel not eligible? Second question: if I buy the seat in Y, what kind of cost would I be looking for to upgrade?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Thanks for the response and the good tips. Could I book a seat in Y with UA points and then upgrade, or is award travel not eligible? Second question: if I buy the seat in Y, what kind of cost would I be looking for to upgrade?
To upgrade, you have to buy Y or B class in economy then go to United.com to use your UA miles to upgrade. United website has the info on how to use UA miles to upgrade.

You can read this thread. A long discussion about Star Alliance Upgrade Award.
Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: UA-P, and Chase-ing the sapphire dragon
It's a little tricky since you'll have two segments...but ROM cost for LAX-TPE is:
Y / B fare usually in the ball park of 1400 USD for RT LAX - TPE. Upgrade is 30k each way (again, if the inventory allows for upgrade...so not worth the extra cost if you can't get the upgrade to J....but if you can, this is an extraordinary value) - likely more since you have a TPE-MNL. See above link for details. In the past, I've broken up my reservation and just did the bump for the transpac longhaul.
Good luck
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: alaska
Quick question on this. Am booked for PE coming up on a flight to Asia from the States. PE is packed, with only 1 seat left. Business is more than half empty.

Does EVA drop the price for J/J upgrades as it gets closer or would they just rather fly with empty seats in J?

(This makes little sense to me, but airline finances are a bit beyond me). Like, hey I'd pay another 500 to sit in J and they can get someone else into PE, wouldn't that make sense? I dunno. I know some airlines have the bidding thing, but EVA doesn't appear to.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
Taking a trip from JFK to MNL for personal and I am going to have to pay for it.

I am used to flying J all the time. BR's premium economy doesn't look bad. Has anyone flown that product that could comment?
Likely flying it shortly and will let you know.

I've flown PE that looks really equivalent on other airlines. If you can't sleep without lie-flat it might be a problem, but in terms of space and amenities, it's very equivalent to domestic first class.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gdam22
Likely flying it shortly and will let you know.

I've flown PE that looks really equivalent on other airlines. If you can't sleep without lie-flat it might be a problem, but in terms of space and amenities, it's very equivalent to domestic first class.
Thank you, definitely let us know! I could survive in domestic first class for 14 hours (I think)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Star Alliance
BR PE is actually a lot better than other PE products from other airlines. It involves the amenity kit that is absolutely fantastic.

I fly YYZ-TPE-MNL about 3 times a year and I've taken PE majority of the times. But whenever I could fly J, I'd always take it. The TPE-MNL I've been told you can choose the PE seats even with a Y ticket... can someone else confirm?
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:18 am

In 2014 I had YYZ-TPE, MNL-TPE and TPE-YYZ flights with BR on a trip to Asia. The two long flights were booked in PE. PE was not offered on the MNL-TPE flight I had chosen (Y and J only), so I was booked in Y but given a seat in J at check-in.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by gdam22
Quick question on this. Am booked for PE coming up on a flight to Asia from the States. PE is packed, with only 1 seat left. Business is more than half empty.
Sounds like PE is overbooked and upgrades to J will be made at the gate. If you have status with *A you will be pretty high on the op-upg. list.
On a recent VIE-BKK BR flight in PE I was upgraded to J at the gate (because of being TK*G). Good luck!

Anyway, PE on BR 77W is very nice and comparable with J/C on certain carriers. I had no issues sleeping in the PE seat and most likely you will have a comfortable flight too even in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.