Search

J Perks Checklist Check

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: hahaha
J Perks Checklist Check [EVA Air Royal Laurel Business Class]

Hi everybody,

My mom is a refugee who seldom visits her homeland. For one of her last trips home, I decided to do a SAUA to her trip. Nobody in our family has ever flown J, and I wanted her to have the full experience. I thought she would appreciate a checklist of J privileges for her own reference, but I thought you guys at FT could help me out to make sure I didn’t miss anything on this small but special gesture. Not that I’m asking her to check everything off this list since she’s so old and kind she wouldn’t want to trouble any FAs for any experience on this list, I just wanted to have a physical reference for her to choose to select services if need be.

We’re all FOTSG; we don’t fly often at all, and we don’t know about much perks in J besides enviously leering when we board the plane from the front. It’d be appreciated if anyone could provide some advice for this rare experience.

Her route is YEG-YVR-TPE-SGN. YEG-YVR in Y (well, basic economy) and operated by AC no codeshare, and YVR-TPE + TPE-SGN in J (SAUA class Z).

Here’s what I have so far in terms of a checklist.

@ YEG:
- Baggage allowance goes up to 70 lbs rather than the usual 50 lbs, 2 bags
- Meal selection prior to 24 hours before departure has been made

@ YVR layover
- Access to YVR Maple Leaf Lounge (I assume this is the best *A lounge in YVR, but honestly I don’t know any better at YVR as a FOTSG myself)
- Priority boarding onto flight
- Welcome drink when everyone else is still boarding
- YVR fast-track security and check-in if deciding to enter Vancouver, thanks @Schweden!

Depart YVR en route to TPE (B777)
- Meal, selected a few days in advance, and a second meal during the daytime
- Pyjamas!
- Amenity kit!
- Lie-flat seat!
- Breakfast meal when close to TPE
- FAs who are willing to chat nicely with you, she loves practicing her English anyway
- Big touchscreen
- FA can make your bed, thanks @Schweden
- Brand name champagne, thanks @Schweden but not 8 bottles of Dom I'm guessing, plus I think one glass would be enough for her
- Hang the winter jacket in the front closet, thanks @northsideguy
- Slippers on the plane! She'd rather wear shoes the entire flight than have her feet touch the dirty floor, but this is great! Thanks @northsideguy
- She can her pic taken while she's in J! Thanks @northsideguy

@ TPE layover
- Access to the EVA Infinity Lounge (is this correct?), where she can relax for a bit before boarding, including showers! Thanks, @northsideguy
- Priority boarding onto next flight
- Welcome drink when everyone else is still boarding

Depart TPE en route to SGN (B777 again)
- Same as above but one less meal, no amenity kit, and no pyjamas, thanks @restlessinRNO!

@ SGN destination
- Priority baggage, assuming it works, comes out first of the lot

@ SGN departure
- Priority check-in!! Thanks @Schweden!

Anything to add?? I appreciate this community a lot over the years since it’s given me a lot of info for my academic research, but now I hope you guys can give me some advice for my mom who’s due to travel in a couple of days! ;D

Last edited by asovse1; Jan 22, 2019 at 3:31 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 2MM
asovse1 - I don't recognize the abbreviation "FOTSG". I take it she is flying BR YVR-TPE-SGN in J. She will have access to the EVA Infinity Lounge at TPE. There is no amenity kit or PJs on the shorter segment TPE-SGN. I am sure she will enjoy her business class experience.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:16 am

She gets priority check-in at SGN on the return too. Is the YEG-YVR leg on the same ticket or does she need to check in again? If not, she gets to use priority check-in at YVR as well as fast track security there too.

From YVR-TPE, she can also have her bed made by the FAs if she wants to sleep. There's also the name brand champagne if she fancies that.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:05 am

Considering she is starting in Canada during the winter, the BR FA’s will hang her coat in the cabin closet.

When she checks in to Infinity Lounge, have her inquire about using the showers. The Infinity has 4 oustanding showers. When entering the Infinity & Star Lounge, you use a common entry way. As you face the check in counter, Infinity Lounge is to your right.

On her BR flight, when she is ready to sleep,have her ask the FA for assistance with the mattress pad and bedding. Oh and don’t forget to use the slippers that they will provide for her!

If she has a camera phone or camera, she can also ask the FA to take a photo of her in the business class seat.
asovse1 likes this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:16 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:12 pm

Oh, please let her know that the drinks, meals, deserts, snacks, amenity kits, pj’s and slippers are free of charge (but not the duty free purchases). I have witness the first time C class passenger politely turn down these items becuse they thought they will be charged for the items or they get embarrased when they ask how much these items will cost. If she does not understand how to operate any of the seat controls or entertainment controls, to just ask a FA.

I have also seen passengers inform the FA’s that this is their first time in C. These FA’s took the extra step to give that passenger a pleasant flight!
asovse1 and slimjin like this.

Last edited by northsideguy; Jan 21, 2019 at 3:20 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is such a nice thing for the OP to do, not only the business class ticket but also researching the benefits here.
asovse1 and slimjin like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is such a nice thing for the OP to do, not only the business class ticket but also researching the benefits here.

Ditto! Sound like he has yet to experience BR Business, but he got his mother there. Good for him! But what the heck is FOTSG?
MSPeconomist, asovse1 and jysim like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by northsideguy

Ditto! Sound like he has yet to experience BR Business, but he got his mother there. Good for him! But what the heck is FOTSG?
FOTSG = Flying Once To See Grandma, an acronym for an infrequent flier.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
asovse1 - I don't recognize the abbreviation "FOTSG". I take it she is flying BR YVR-TPE-SGN in J. She will have access to the EVA Infinity Lounge at TPE. There is no amenity kit or PJs on the shorter segment TPE-SGN. I am sure she will enjoy her business class experience.
Originally Posted by AsiaTravel2019
yup! Sorry for being AWOL, but in this case, she actually IS flying to see grandma! haha

Originally Posted by Schweden
She gets priority check-in at SGN on the return too. Is the YEG-YVR leg on the same ticket or does she need to check in again? If not, she gets to use priority check-in at YVR as well as fast track security there too.

From YVR-TPE, she can also have her bed made by the FAs if she wants to sleep. There's also the name brand champagne if she fancies that.
So I just saw her off, and she has a four hour connection ex-YEG and awaiting BR 9 to TPE. AC in YEG didn't issue her a boarding pass for her BR segments so she can't rest up in MLL right now. I thought of telling her to head out to the BR desks pre-security to get a BP...but I think telling her to run around and going thru security again (albeit fast track) is too much walking for her. I'll settle on emailing her screenshots of her BP from me checking in on my computer here in YEG.

Considering she is starting in Canada during the winter, the BR FA’s will hang her coat in the cabin closet.

When she checks in to Infinity Lounge, have her inquire about using the showers. The Infinity has 4 oustanding showers. When entering the Infinity & Star Lounge, you use a common entry way. As you face the check in counter, Infinity Lounge is to your right.

On her BR flight, when she is ready to sleep,have her ask the FA for assistance with the mattress pad and bedding. Oh and don’t forget to use the slippers that they will provide for her!

If she has a camera phone or camera, she can also ask the FA to take a photo of her in the business class seat.
Oh, please let her know that the drinks, meals, deserts, snacks, amenity kits, pj’s and slippers are free of charge (but not the duty free purchases). I have witness the first time C class passenger politely turn down these items becuse they thought they will be charged for the items or they get embarrased when they ask how much these items will cost. If she does not understand how to operate any of the seat controls or entertainment controls, to just ask a FA.

I have also seen passengers inform the FA’s that this is their first time in C. These FA’s took the extra step to give that passenger a pleasant flight!
Thank you for the outstanding information! I'm going to add yours + everyone else's suggestions to the list! FT over the years has helped me a lot during my travels, so I hope this list appears on somebody's Google search to help others with theirs! I love the photo idea! She's gonna wanna show this to her sisters!

Thanks very much for the kind words. I lurk FT a lot as a no-status pleb (FOTSG!), but I do my master's research in aviation and this community really helps me through the tough days! It's nice to pick up the lingo and talk like an insider (though I admit I'm overdoing it), or even just daydream about your travels. Hopefully I'll join the ranks one day! I mainly lurk in the AC/Aeroplan forum (since that's my flag carrier), but I'll say: from SAUA help to learning more about J perks to this very thread, the BR forum is certainly a very friendly community!
MSPeconomist and BlackHappy like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:26 pm

Ha ha. That’s funny! Thanks so much!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It somehow reminds me of the acronym (not the person) POTUS.

BTW is there a transfer desk that can generate the boarding pass before the gate opens so that she can enjoy the lounge? Alternatively, will AC accept a printout of an itinerary and a receipt to enter the MLL? Business class TPAC on an alliance partner should be a no brainer for the dragons to realize that lounge access is an entitlement.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

It somehow reminds me of the acronym (not the person) POTUS.

BTW is there a transfer desk that can generate the boarding pass before the gate opens so that she can enjoy the lounge? Alternatively, will AC accept a printout of an itinerary and a receipt to enter the MLL? Business class TPAC on an alliance partner should be a no brainer for the dragons to realize that lounge access is an entitlement.
Kinda figured it out, but it was crude.

So she went to the gate and nobody was there. I told her to walk to the MLL while I figured something out. I asked her how the heck she managed to get into the international terminal without an international BP, but she said she showed her baggage tags checked thru to SGN and the staff just waved her through.

Anyway, she's still walking around to the MLL and I'm trying to figure something out. I end up generating a boarding pass by checking in with her info on EVA's mobile site. It. Looks. Terrible. I take a screenshot by resizing my browser to her phone's aspect ratio and send it off to her email. Her email doesn't load so I give up and send two screenshots to her phone via MMS: the boarding pass, and the boarding pass QR code.

She called back and reported that the MLL dragon was extremely sketched out by these screenshots, and had to call the BR office to make sure she was legit.

She's enjoying the chicken at the MLL, and says to thank all of my 'online friends' for helping her along! Hope to report back with more good news!

Also, to answer your question:
I'm not sure if there is a transfer desk in the INTL terminal. Definitely might be one at domestic so that pax can generate BPs to enter INTL. And since Canada requires passengers to do a quick CBSA check when they arrive at YVR (correct me if I'm wrong please), pax arrive at a different floor and I don't know why there'd be a transfer desk at YVR INTL. Something sounds fishy with my explanation, so I'd appreciate if someone could correct me if I'm wrong.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:43 pm

Sorry but I can't help with the transit details as I can only recall going through YVR for transborder (Canada-USA) flights. Still, the good news is that she's in the MLL lounge and presumably officially checked in for the next flight.
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
So AC at YEG wouldn't issue a BP for the BR segments. <sigh>. Was the AC flight YEG-YVR on a separate ticket then?
asovse1 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by asovse1
yup! Sorry for being AWOL, but in this case, she actually IS flying to see grandma! haha

So I just saw her off, and she has a four hour connection ex-YEG and awaiting BR 9 to TPE. AC in YEG didn't issue her a boarding pass for her BR segments so she can't rest up in MLL right now. I thought of telling her to head out to the BR desks pre-security to get a BP...but I think telling her to run around and going thru security again (albeit fast track) is too much walking for her. I'll settle on emailing her screenshots of her BP from me checking in on my computer here in YEG.

Thank you for the outstanding information! I'm going to add yours + everyone else's suggestions to the list! FT over the years has helped me a lot during my travels, so I hope this list appears on somebody's Google search to help others with theirs! I love the photo idea! She's gonna wanna show this to her sisters!

Thanks very much for the kind words. I lurk FT a lot as a no-status pleb (FOTSG!), but I do my master's research in aviation and this community really helps me through the tough days! It's nice to pick up the lingo and talk like an insider (though I admit I'm overdoing it), or even just daydream about your travels. Hopefully I'll join the ranks one day! I mainly lurk in the AC/Aeroplan forum (since that's my flag carrier), but I'll say: from SAUA help to learning more about J perks to this very thread, the BR forum is certainly a very friendly community!

You are so welcomed! It doesn’t matter if you fly 100 mile or 100,00 miles a year here on FT. What matters is that you can help others when you can by sharing information and thank you so much for the follow up reports!
asovse1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.