which lounge is the best at TPE

Old Oct 1, 19, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Given the choice between connecting on OW at HKG or connecting at TPE on BR, and all else being equal, I will chose HKG every time.
You can't possibly compare any of the Cathay lounges to BR - the CX product is far more mature, and has a dramatically different global brand vs BR. That is changing very slowly, and I agree that BR needs to step up its lounge product and spacing issues, but with the loss of one of the greatest airline leaders in Asia when he was replaced at BR, I highly doubt the new leaders have any plan to upgrade much of anything, which is a decision made at their peril.
Old Oct 1, 19, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
You can't possibly compare any of the Cathay lounges to BR
As a consumer, I can and do That's why I have five CX TPACs this year and no BR (after trying them several times last year).

And it's not just the lounges. HKG handles large crowds better than TPE.
Old Oct 1, 19, 10:48 pm

Despite all the complaining on this board about BR lounges, they are in the top handful of *A J lounges in the world. And overcrowding applies to pretty much all of these lounges if you are there at peak transit times.

My pecking order:
1) UA Polaris Lounge
2) LX (ZRH -- Int'l Departures)
3) ANA J ~= BR J
4) SQ J ~= LAX *A J
5) OZ J
6) LH J (in Europe) ~= OS J (Vienna) ~= LX J (Geneva) ~= NZ J ~= A3 J
7) LH J ~= TK J (in the USA) ~= TG J (HKG)
8) AC J ~= UA Non-Polaris Lounges (USA/Asia/Europe) ~= TP J ~= CA J

I haven't been to TK in IST so can't comment there, but have heard good things.
Old Oct 3, 19, 11:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
Despite all the complaining on this board about BR lounges, they are in the top handful of *A J lounges in the world.
I don't agree at all. I would call them below average for J/*G lounges in a carrier's hub. I'd put them on a par with OZ at ICN (which is not a compliment) or OS in VIE (which is an apt analogy in other respects as well, since OS has crappy lounges but a fantastic onboard soft product).

As for your list, there are probably at least a dozen LH BUS/SEN lounges that are better than Infinity/Star. And there are currently five Polaris lounges. So if you're ranking actual lounges, I think Star/Infinity have a hard time cracking the top thirty.
Kremmen likes this.
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I don't agree at all. I would call them below average for J/*G lounges in a carrier's hub. I'd put them on a par with OZ at ICN (which is not a compliment) or OS in VIE (which is an apt analogy in other respects as well, since OS has crappy lounges but a fantastic onboard soft product).

As for your list, there are probably at least a dozen LH BUS/SEN lounges that are better than Infinity/Star. And there are currently five Polaris lounges. So if you're ranking actual lounges, I think Star/Infinity have a hard time cracking the top thirty.
We'll have to agree to disagree, but I'd love to know which LH lounges you enjoy. In my experience, the LH shower situation is no better (and almost always worse), the food consists of stale pretzels and low-end liquor. At BR at least I can enjoy a quality whisky, some decent food, and good ice cream. I can't discern any difference between OS/VIE and LH/FRA-MUC, etc.

Actually, I'm curious if you could include your *A lounge ranking.

OZ ICN occasionally has a made-to-order hot food station, but the shower situation is even more pathetic.
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:57 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
At BR at least I can enjoy a quality whisky, some decent food, and good ice cream.
The food isn't always decent. Finding anything that's actually hot can be hard. And, as I said, I've seen them just put the same ice cream into almost every position, leaving no choices that I like.

I would rank BR's TPE lounges as inferior to lounges I've experienced from: UA (Polaris), SQ, NZ, SK, NH, OZ, TG and even CA (tight call, but CA's food is vastly better).

For that matter, the BR lounge at BKK is superior in every respect to the TPE ones, starting with having sufficient space.
Old Oct 4, 19, 10:19 am

You lost me at CA's food being vastly better, you mean CA's lounge in PEK ? That monstrosity and the "food" served ?

Edit: You're probably talking about CA's lounge in TPE in which case I withdraw my comments as I've never been to it

Last edited by Virginia Emery; Oct 4, 19 at 10:25 am Reason: Added comment
Old Oct 4, 19, 10:33 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Virginia Emery View Post
You lost me at CA's food being vastly better, you mean CA's lounge in PEK ?
I've only used the PVG lounge. (So, neither PEK nor TPE.) I was pleasantly surprised by hot, decent food that was replenished regularly.

At BR's lounge in TPE, it was hard to find a single thing that was properly hot or worth eating. I tried a number of items and left most of it on my plate, as I'd classify it as close to inedible.
Old Oct 4, 19, 10:43 am

Having been to CA's lounge @ PVG last year (unremarkable - had to google pictures of lounge to recall), we'll just have to agree to disagree. But in fairness it's better than their PEK lounge both space and food
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:15 pm
Suspended

I think for any airline to have such an awful home base lounge speaks volumes for the way the airline is run. BA is the same,the F lounges at LHR are truly awful and dont even get me started on AA.
Old Oct 4, 19, 6:00 pm

I stand by my *A rankings. BR usually has 2-3 ice cream choices, and if you don't like them you can hop to the other side. I am puzzled by the hot food concerns, there are usually multiple decent choices, I particularly like the sweet potatoes/yams, but the western choices are indeed poor. And if you look at liquor selection, BR is far ahead (this is something that can be quantified by $ per bottle (wines, liquors) compared across lounges, and I've been meaning to do this...).

BR also has to-go plastic water bottles which I greatly appreciate before a 14hr flight.

As pointed out up-post, The Club is often fairly empty when the others are packed, but I think you lose the Kavalan.
Old Oct 4, 19, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by maball View Post
BA is the same,the F lounges at LHR are truly awful...
The BA lounges are one of the only things I feel like they haven't LCC'd (yet). I would take the BA Galleries First lounges at LHR (either T3/T5) over the BR lounges without hesitation, and they have the CCR on top of that for actual F pax.

BR Star/Infinity might have been average or even OK lounges 10 years ago, but they've been far surpassed by offerings like UA Polaris and often have an overcrowding problem to boot. The ice cream is the only thing I really feel like they have going for them.
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
The BA lounges are one of the only things I feel like they haven't LCC'd (yet). I would take the BA Galleries First lounges at LHR (either T3/T5) over the BR lounges without hesitation, and they have the CCR on top of that for actual F pax.
Comparing F lounges to J is not really fair. That being said, I'll take BR J's in-flight soft product over BA F's soft product.

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
BR Star/Infinity might have been average or even OK lounges 10 years ago, but they've been far surpassed by offerings like UA Polaris and often have an overcrowding problem to boot. The ice cream is the only thing I really feel like they have going for them.
I agree that Polaris has moved the needle in terms of *A J lounge quality, and even more surprising that it comes from the much maligned UA. But I'm not sure that much else has changed significantly in the last 10 years across *A business lounges, although I don't recall when the Swiss Int'l J lounge opened.
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:59 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Comparing F lounges to J is not really fair. That being said, I'll take BR J's in-flight soft product over BA F's soft product.
I wasn't comparing the lounges in a BA vs BR context, only in regard to OP comment. BA has a lot to be rightfully criticized for but to say LHR's F lounges are "truly awful" is just absurd.

I do prefer BR J food/champagne over BA F generally, but that is a personal preference as opposed to a measure of objective quality. Objectively, they wind up being pretty similar, down to the champagne.

FAs on BA tend to be better (and can be excellent), but to be fair, the FAs on my recent BR J TPAC were actually pretty good (in stark contrast to other post-strike reports here). Midflight, an FA who noticed I was awake even asked me if I needed anything - it's been years since I ever remember that happening!

I agree that Polaris has moved the needle in terms of *A J lounge quality, and even more surprising that it comes from the much maligned UA. But I'm not sure that much else has changed significantly in the last 10 years across *A business lounges, although I don't recall when the Swiss Int'l J lounge opened.
I do agree it was surprising from UA, but UA already cut Polaris onboard soft product significantly so we'll just have to see what happens with the Polaris lounges in the long run. The one thing Polaris has going for it is space and relative uncrowdedness. That's one aspect of the BR lounges that IME has gotten much worse over time.
Old Oct 5, 19, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BAEC Gold
Just confine all your travels to Sunday mornings in between long-haul banks and the EVA lounges are great! I'm currently one of about 5 passengers in the Infinity. Food is tasty , hot, and plentiful, and the place is spotless!
restlessinRNO likes this.

Search this Thread