Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

New Service Coming? 全新服務升級發表會

New Service Coming? 全新服務升級發表會

Reply

Old Jan 6, 19, 10:51 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 115
Originally Posted by PaclantFlyer View Post

Weren't the new menus supposed to be effective in January?
I did not take a picture but the January in flight magazine made it sound like the Tanfu cuisine is just one main option (with accompanying appetizer and dessert). Something with abalone and only for CNY. So maybe not a complete menu refresh.
Agneisse is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 12:18 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Programs: *A Gold, SkyMiles,
Posts: 2,377
As much as I once loved EVA, the last changes were a farce. Gone were the cotton absorbent linens which were excellent, replaced by liquid repelling polyester which has the consistency of industrial fabric. The current PJs are embarrassing as they do not breathe and are quasi polo style and should be full button. The slippers in use are excellent and are some of the best available (NH has great slippers with United, Air Canada, Air France offering some of the worst.) The menus are not reflective of the routes served and could use the services of a qualified translator.Considering the robust quality of Taiwan cuisine, I keep hoping for something more reflective in quality, fancy nomenclature and description aside.

However, what I would really like to see is an improvement to BR's dismal OTP. It's unreliable.Better yet, I'd love to see BR improve its schedule to North America. The 1 am departure / 8 PM arrivals are killing it on the YYZ-TPE route. It just doesn't work for arriving connecting pax. Better yet, it needs new partners in North America. Air Canada and United are no friends and don't make using BR easy. Perhaps, it is because no matter the mild criticisms of onboard amenities or meals BR still beats the North American carriers in terms of comfort, service and general service.
Transpacificflyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 1:13 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer View Post
As much as I once loved EVA, the last changes were a farce. Gone were the cotton absorbent linens which were excellent, replaced by liquid repelling polyester which has the consistency of industrial fabric. The current PJs are embarrassing as they do not breathe and are quasi polo style and should be full button. The slippers in use are excellent and are some of the best available (NH has great slippers with United, Air Canada, Air France offering some of the worst.) The menus are not reflective of the routes served and could use the services of a qualified translator.Considering the robust quality of Taiwan cuisine, I keep hoping for something more reflective in quality, fancy nomenclature and description aside.

However, what I would really like to see is an improvement to BR's dismal OTP. It's unreliable.Better yet, I'd love to see BR improve its schedule to North America. The 1 am departure / 8 PM arrivals are killing it on the YYZ-TPE route. It just doesn't work for arriving connecting pax. Better yet, it needs new partners in North America. Air Canada and United are no friends and don't make using BR easy. Perhaps, it is because no matter the mild criticisms of onboard amenities or meals BR still beats the North American carriers in terms of comfort, service and general service.
I do agree with you about the food, the linens, and their OTP. BR has yet to change their offerings in the last 5 years and I've stopped eating onboard for I've grown sick of the food. Menu translations, or just translations in general, are poor and misspellings/errors are aplenty.
BR has also timed flights poorly. For example, the TPE-SIN route's OTP is less than 10% in the winter; 4 hours 30 minutes is simply not enough block time when considering the generally adverse weather in TPE and the prolonged approach in SIN. BR needs to push for OTP instead of having planes hold at gate while GA's attempt to locate stragglers in the terminal and they need to bring their contracted GA's into line for OTP instead of letting them run the op at their own pace (Hello SFO).

Regarding your statement on the North America schedule, BR chose the 1am/8pm times because it matches their onward Asian connections well. They don't have the demand or the aircraft to fly multiple banks to all their Asian destinations that they push for North American customers. I do not foresee a change in the schedule as long as their load factors/yield on all routes remain above their standards.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:58 pm
  #19  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,485
Oh boy, it sounds like they are sliding. I certainly hope they keep the safety front up. Is the slide related to the management change or it started before K Chang left?

Years ago, GAs were required to write reports if the flights were late. Have they stopped doing that? They also had positions at TPE airport where the agents' jobs were to find stray passengers at immigration and duty free shops.
username is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 12:34 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by username View Post
Oh boy, it sounds like they are sliding. I certainly hope they keep the safety front up. Is the slide related to the management change or it started before K Chang left?

Years ago, GAs were required to write reports if the flights were late. Have they stopped doing that? They also had positions at TPE airport where the agents' jobs were to find stray passengers at immigration and duty free shops.
Sounds like the slide is industry wide (from American airlines to the currently troubled Cathay). The truth is it's now more about who slides faster, and EVA is still above many of their competitors (although mainland carriers are catching up, very quickly).
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 2:17 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 478
Having flown twice already in last two weeks. Once on BR and once in CA (I had very roughy 2 weeks traveling)

There are things that I would say BR is still years ahead of CA or Chinese carrier in general.

1. Service wise- Chinese carrier are indeed getting better. The flight attendant attitude since 2014 has seen dramatic change.

2. Air China now actually has better movie options than BR.

However- there are still tons of problem with Chinese carriers on the following area

1. Cleanness of aircraft. Take example of my LAX-PEK-DEL flight. The 777 and A330 were all less than 6 years old. The seats, carpet, toilet were dirty, full of scratches. Itís just disgusting. I was on B-16703 just in October. The seats, toilet, carpet.... all are in much better shape.

2. Catering- other than European outbound. Chinese carriers food were not as good as BR. Yes BR menu can be more creative and more diverse choices. But Chinese carriers arenít that good. Still have tons of gap.

BR is cutting back, but every carrier is cutting back. Even SQ is not the same compare to 5 years ago.

I still take BR over any of Chinese carrier. In fact other than SQ- I still think BR is still one of the very best.

In business class- I would rank QR/SQ ahead of BR. Other than that based on my experience. I havenít experienced better service and better maintained fleet. Donít get me started on CX. If we want to talk about how mighty has fallen. CX I think takes the top spot in Asian carrier.
Taten_R.O.C. likes this.
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 4:38 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
Having flown twice already in last two weeks. Once on BR and once in CA (I had very roughy 2 weeks traveling)

There are things that I would say BR is still years ahead of CA or Chinese carrier in general.

1. Service wise- Chinese carrier are indeed getting better. The flight attendant attitude since 2014 has seen dramatic change.

2. Air China now actually has better movie options than BR.

However- there are still tons of problem with Chinese carriers on the following area

1. Cleanness of aircraft. Take example of my LAX-PEK-DEL flight. The 777 and A330 were all less than 6 years old. The seats, carpet, toilet were dirty, full of scratches. Itís just disgusting. I was on B-16703 just in October. The seats, toilet, carpet.... all are in much better shape.

2. Catering- other than European outbound. Chinese carriers food were not as good as BR. Yes BR menu can be more creative and more diverse choices. But Chinese carriers arenít that good. Still have tons of gap.

BR is cutting back, but every carrier is cutting back. Even SQ is not the same compare to 5 years ago.

I still take BR over any of Chinese carrier. In fact other than SQ- I still think BR is still one of the very best.

In business class- I would rank QR/SQ ahead of BR. Other than that based on my experience. I havenít experienced better service and better maintained fleet. Donít get me started on CX. If we want to talk about how mighty has fallen. CX I think takes the top spot in Asian carrier.
Spot on. Don't think Chinese carrier can fix the first issue anytime soon either (since it's more an issue with their customers).

It's a shame so see some CX employees work so hard to improve the airline, but the management...
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 19, 2:49 pm
  #23  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,445
Summary of Changes:
- New PJs by Jason Wu
- New "Tan Fu" cuisine on TPE-LAX/SFO/JFK
- New Desserts by Andre Bonaffinni on TPE-BNE/CDG/VIE
- New Cold-pressed Mango and Mixed Fruit Juice on TPE outbound (Pineapple remains on the inbound)
- New Eclat de Valrhona chocolate will be served with the coffee/tea post-meal service
- New Creme Caramel Tea by TWG now on offer

PE/Y will retain the current service with small improvements here and there. New dishware will be rolling out soon once they manage to send them to all outstations that need catering.

Official Press Release:
EVA Introduces Inflight Amenities by Jason Wu, Rimowa, Ferragamo New 2019 offerings also include aristocratic cuisine, inspired pastries - EVA Air | Global

Re 787 deliveries, they are expecting 6 (-9 and -10) this year. They will be getting their first self-owned 787 as well.

Side note: YYZ station has seriously had it hard. In addition to the numerous incidents throughout '17 and '18 (Collision with light pole, fuel truck damages nacelle, numerous passenger deaths, recent crew death, serious injuries to a group of GAs, and serious abuse by pax), the whole GA team has pretty much had a whole turnover.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 12:01 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 8,485
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
Sounds like the slide is industry wide (from American airlines to the currently troubled Cathay). The truth is it's now more about who slides faster, and EVA is still above many of their competitors (although mainland carriers are catching up, very quickly).
What do you think is the reason behind this? Is it because they are forecasting a bad year? Or, the never-ending drive to cut costs, especially after all the enhancements?
username is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 2:52 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: YYZ
Programs: Marriott/SPG, BR, CX, Aeroplan
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by username View Post
What do you think is the reason behind this? Is it because they are forecasting a bad year? Or, the never-ending drive to cut costs, especially after all the enhancements?
Your guess is as good as mine. Personally I think enhancements never come without string attached.
Dave510 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 9:00 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 141
It's strange with low oil prices for the foreseeable future. Costs should be down...
east_west is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 19, 1:26 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by username View Post
What do you think is the reason behind this? Is it because they are forecasting a bad year? Or, the never-ending drive to cut costs, especially after all the enhancements?
Originally Posted by Dave510 View Post
Your guess is as good as mine. Personally I think enhancements never come without string attached.
Originally Posted by east_west View Post
It's strange with low oil prices for the foreseeable future. Costs should be down...
BR hedges heavily with fuel. Oil price fluctuation does not really hit them hard like other airlines that may be more conservative with hedging.

As a publicly listed company, there are expectations of financial growth every year, especially amongst the hedge funds and investment companies that trade them. Every enhancement will obviously come with strings attached; you don't want cost to balloon.

BR's 4Q18 profit margin did not perform as well as 3Q18, which is disappointing to say the least considering the market's position. Although they forecast a relatively stable 2019, they've made it clear that growth will be a meager 2-5% as they focus on stabilizing existing markets and induction of new fleet types. It's 12 days into January, and they've already promised NT3000 raises for the ground staff members in Taiwan in addition to some new financial enticements for low-level administrative staffs. Additionally, they currently are paying off a newly settled USD 21 million price-fixing lawsuit in the US. With the new labor law in Taiwan, they reportedly took a NT60million hit because of work hour contractions, new overtime rules, and the inability to legally deny annual leave. To combat the cost issues this year, BR had a hiring freeze, with the exception of pilots and a one-for-one replacement, and foresees a hiring freeze for 2019 as well. BR began to store more cash on hand this year, with the reduction of profit share (in comparison to previous years profits) for employees across the board as well as their refusal to dish out a mid-year bonus despite record profits.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:06 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Anyone know the definition of "long-haul" flights according to BR?
I have a SIN-TPE and TPE-YVR coming up and wondering if the SIN-TPE will qualify as a long-haul and receive the new amenity kits.
TheBlueLabel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:15 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by TheBlueLabel View Post
Anyone know the definition of "long-haul" flights according to BR?
I have a SIN-TPE and TPE-YVR coming up and wondering if the SIN-TPE will qualify as a long-haul and receive the new amenity kits.
No. SIN-TPE is short flight. Even BKK-TPE doesn't get amenity kit.
krispykrme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 19, 4:47 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by TheBlueLabel View Post
Anyone know the definition of "long-haul" flights according to BR?
I have a SIN-TPE and TPE-YVR coming up and wondering if the SIN-TPE will qualify as a long-haul and receive the new amenity kits.
Longhaul=North America, Europe(Nonstop from TPE or BKK-Europe), and Oceania.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: