Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Sending food from Business class to the back, possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sending food from Business class to the back, possible?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Here's what actually happened:

I asked my colleague to be my niece for the flight since we are 15 years apart. I took her along with me to group 1 boarding, merely telling the agent that she's flying for the first time and she's my niece. She had no problems walking down the business class cabin.

I asked the flight attendant to send food back to her, and they were very receptive about that, and the chief pursour even came by to greet me, and assured me that my "niece" will be taken cared of.

In the end, she got the entree, desert, while I got the bread and salad. She eve got a set of PJs and was invited to sit next to me right before the descent.
Funny thing is though, when her lobster was brought to her, her seatmate was looking at the menu and wondering why there was none! I had to visit her a few times, bring her some snacks, just so they know it's not favoritism from the airlines but from me.

And when she was walking up to the cabin, lead by a FA, I saw people sticking their heads out with that "disbelief" look on their eyes.

Cheers all.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by flyhen
Here's what actually happened:

I asked my colleague to be my niece for the flight since we are 15 years apart. I took her along with me to group 1 boarding, merely telling the agent that she's flying for the first time and she's my niece. She had no problems walking down the business class cabin.

I asked the flight attendant to send food back to her, and they were very receptive about that, and the chief pursour even came by to greet me, and assured me that my "niece" will be taken cared of.

In the end, she got the entree, desert, while I got the bread and salad. She eve got a set of PJs and was invited to sit next to me right before the descent.
Funny thing is though, when her lobster was brought to her, her seatmate was looking at the menu and wondering why there was none! I had to visit her a few times, bring her some snacks, just so they know it's not favoritism from the airlines but from me.

And when she was walking up to the cabin, lead by a FA, I saw people sticking their heads out with that "disbelief" look on their eyes.

Cheers all.
Glad it worked out - reminded me of an "incident" years ago flying Delta with my other half. Only one upgrade cleared on both of the flights, so we decided to split - I took coach FLL ATL and they took coach SFO ATL. During breakfast FLL ATL, they brought back their muffin and some small snack items for me, which then caused one of the nearby passengers to start whacking her husband on the arm demanding to know why SHE did not get a muffin - the badgering went on for quiet awhile, but the only real victim was the husband, although I had a good 45 minutes of nasty looks from her and other nearby pax, which didn't bother me at all - I had a muffin, they had zilch.

Flying SFO ATL, I had my revenge - I took my ice cream sundae and walked it back to coach presenting it to the other half in a grand fashion to ensure plenty of people could see - needless to say, I was the one getting whacked on the drive home Personally I don't see how who is getting what served to them is anyone's business especially other passengers flying in coach who should be well aware of the service they are being offered.

I am surprised BR is flexible with this - most airlines in Asia are so process and rule driven, any request that doesn't have a reference directly out of a manual book causes the crew to malfunction and panic.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I am surprised BR is flexible with this - most airlines in Asia are so process and rule driven, any request that doesn't have a reference directly out of a manual book causes the crew to malfunction and panic.
My take is that this is consistent with the Taiwanese/Chinese logic that "I paid for it, why can't I share it with my friend/family". I would not be surprised if BR has a policy to allow this to avoid upsetting premium passengers.

However, I think this is just disruptive on the service flow, creates confusion in the destination cabin, creates misunderstanding (e.g. passenger in J could think FA took the food back for other FAs) and should be avoided.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by username
My take is that this is consistent with the Taiwanese/Chinese logic that "I paid for it, why can't I share it with my friend/family". I would not be surprised if BR has a policy to allow this to avoid upsetting premium passengers.

However, I think this is just disruptive on the service flow, creates confusion in the destination cabin, creates misunderstanding (e.g. passenger in J could think FA took the food back for other FAs) and should be avoided.
disruptive? heck no! you are so wrong about this.

The chief FA assured me that she already told the entire crew that my "niece" is sitting in the back, and they will take good care of her. I told them, thanks, but if this causes trouble, don't bother. The reply I got from her "oh, it's not a problem, she will get her food before everyone does, so that way there is no interruption. And we can collect her plate along with others when it's done.

It's only two plates and a set of silverware, prior to the carts being push down the hallway. How is that disruptive?
hardworking21 likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The chief FA assured me that she already told the entire crew that my "niece" is sitting in the back, and they will take good care of her. I told them, thanks, but if this causes trouble, don't bother. The reply I got from her "oh, it's not a problem, she will get her food before everyone does, so that way there is no interruption. And we can collect her plate along with others when it's done.

It's only two plates and a set of silverware, prior to the carts being push down the hallway. How is that disruptive?
Did your request alter their normal routines?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:02 am
Original Poster

nope.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:43 pm

I agree with the "how is that disruptive?" question. As someone who is Taiwanese (though admittedly grew up in the States, so perhaps perspectives are different), this seems like an easy, not-rocket science way of doing it. Give the purser and FA team a polite heads up, ask respectfully, and they should be able to execute flawlessly. If others in coach are all nosy and complaining, well, they should've booked RL class ... it's not as if the pursuer and FAs are giving your "niece" special treatment out of the blue.

Keep it simple, folks.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hardworking21
I agree with the "how is that disruptive?" question. As someone who is Taiwanese (though admittedly grew up in the States, so perhaps perspectives are different), this seems like an easy, not-rocket science way of doing it. Give the purser and FA team a polite heads up, ask respectfully, and they should be able to execute flawlessly. If others in coach are all nosy and complaining, well, they should've booked RL class ... it's not as if the pursuer and FAs are giving your "niece" special treatment out of the blue.

Keep it simple, folks.
Right, exactly. Keep it simple and don't ask the FAs to go through the trouble and deviate from their normal process.
z4017 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Right, exactly. Keep it simple and don't ask the FAs to go through the trouble and deviate from their normal process.
Let us pretend it really is a hassle to send food back (which it isn’t). Who cares if they have to spend an extra minute doing something out of the ordinary? Does that mean I can’t ask them for an extra pillow, bottle of water, or rice crackers? They’re there to do a job, and as paying customers, why should we be so scared of asking them for stuff?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
No problem. I’ve done it many times.
Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Let us pretend it really is a hassle to send food back (which it isn’t). Who cares if they have to spend an extra minute doing something out of the ordinary? Does that mean I can’t ask them for an extra pillow, bottle of water, or rice crackers? They’re there to do a job, and as paying customers, why should we be so scared of asking them for stuff?
Sure you feel this way

If you see how busy they are preparing the food and getting the plane fed, you should appreciate this is not "an extra minute" as you claim. This is different from getting a blanket or water re-filled.

Just be a little considerate next time and don't routinely make this request.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:38 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Sure you feel this way

If you see how busy they are preparing the food and getting the plane fed, you should appreciate this is not "an extra minute" as you claim. This is different from getting a blanket or water re-filled.

Just be a little considerate next time and don't routinely make this request.
Lucky that the FAs have you looking out for them. Yes, I’ve seen how busy they are in the galley, but I’ve also seen how bored they can be—especially on long-haul night flights out of TPE. Don’t assume others are inconsiderate just because they ask FAs to do some work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.