Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Eva Air Announces Significant Expansion and Changes for 2019

Eva Air Announces Significant Expansion and Changes for 2019

Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Cost differences mean yields mean different things to different airlines. What may be profitable for BR does not mean it is for the US3, considering their high cost structure.
True, but why not go after higher yield NA markets compared to what has been reported as low-yield BKK. Low cost structure means even more profit.

UA reported 14.6c stage-adjusted yields for NYC-TPE, higher than HKG and ICN (on 1 stop flight options, so presumably IAD/BOS would be fairly similar). Non-stop service should only be higher.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, QF, VA, CI
Originally Posted by east_west
True, but why not go after higher yield NA markets compared to what has been reported as low-yield BKK. Low cost structure means even more profit.

UA reported 14.6c stage-adjusted yields for NYC-TPE, higher than HKG and ICN (on 1 stop flight options, so presumably IAD/BOS would be fairly similar). Non-stop service should only be higher.
This isn't quite an apples to apples comparison as UA's target market are passengers either:
  • Flying to TPE only from SFO, vice versa
  • Connecting via SFO to fly to TPE, vice versa. They can draw passengers from basically any of the domestic ports UA flies to

BR, meanwhile, relies on Tier 1 NA cities with large, predominantly Asian populations who want to connect onwards to Asia via TPE. There may be some OD passengers who genuinely want to fly between TPE and NA, but by and large Taiwan's domestic and overseas population alone are not going to be enough to fill planes for some of these markets, particularly for a min 4 weekly frequency to sustain the market. They need the transit traffic. Currently they have most of the Tier 1 cities covered.

Further, there could be cargo considerations at play which makes the yield for MXP overall higher than a new NA city. Flying to the US East Coast would probably create load restrictions which severely limit their ability to carry higher yielding cargo.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by someone0000
This isn't quite an apples to apples comparison as UA's target market are passengers either:
  • Flying to TPE only from SFO, vice versa
  • Connecting via SFO to fly to TPE, vice versa. They can draw passengers from basically any of the domestic ports UA flies to
Further, there could be cargo considerations at play which makes the yield for MXP overall higher than a new NA city. Flying to the US East Coast would probably create load restrictions which severely limit their ability to carry higher yielding cargo.
I'm making two, distinct, arguments. I believe these arguments apply to both BOS/IAD, but PHL is close enough to JFK that it would be hard to make it work.
1) UA has revealed relatively high-yield for the 1-stop NYC-TPE OD market, even in the presence of BR/CI non-stops and multiple other 1-stop options. There was discussion on the UA board about how TPE is probably in line for the next EWR TPAC ahead of ICN. IAD/BOS have similar demographics/affluence and are #6 and #10 in metro population, similar to Toronto.
2) BOS/IAD is bursting at the seams on TPAC, see the 90+ load factors on CX and JL, indicating a substantial amount of connecting traffic.

On the other hand, I do think these routes would be best served by 789s rather than 777s, and this would limit cargo. But routing cargo via BKK doesn't seem to be optimal from a cost point of view.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Europe-BKK has good yields but that doesn't mean US-BKK will have good yields because definition of good yield is relative to operating costs. Europe-BKK is roughly 5,000 nautical miles while US West Coast to BKK is over 7,000 nautical miles. You need much higher average fare for US-BKK to justify non-stop flights.

BOS or IAD to Asia is potentially good market for BR but east-west is probably right about equipment for cargo. I think BOS is a little saturated right now with JL, CX, HU. BR can take a wait and see approach.

Another one that people like to talk about is SJC-TPE. 77W definitely won't work on that route due to airport restrictions.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by east_west
I'm making two, distinct, arguments. I believe these arguments apply to both BOS/IAD, but PHL is close enough to JFK that it would be hard to make it work.
1) UA has revealed relatively high-yield for the 1-stop NYC-TPE OD market, even in the presence of BR/CI non-stops and multiple other 1-stop options. There was discussion on the UA board about how TPE is probably in line for the next EWR TPAC ahead of ICN. IAD/BOS have similar demographics/affluence and are #6 and #10 in metro population, similar to Toronto.
2) BOS/IAD is bursting at the seams on TPAC, see the 90+ load factors on CX and JL, indicating a substantial amount of connecting traffic.

On the other hand, I do think these routes would be best served by 789s rather than 777s, and this would limit cargo. But routing cargo via BKK doesn't seem to be optimal from a cost point of view.
BR evaluates cargo+pax for route considerations. 789 on BOS-TPE would barely be able to haul any, making it not as profitable as they would like. BR's SFO morning flight performs terribly in the cabin, but continues because cargo is filling the belly to the brim.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bzcat
North America expansion is on hold because of competition basically...
Doesn't seem to have stopped BR expanding Seattle service... SEA gets JL, CX, and SQ this year, and BR still expanded SEA from 7x to 10x weekly.

Personally I am highly skeptical that SEA has enough trans-Pacific passengers to support all these airlines. But it is nice to now finally have good representation of OneWorld to Asia. Until now we've had none, now we'll have 2.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Doesn't seem to have stopped BR expanding Seattle service... SEA gets JL, CX, and SQ this year, and BR still expanded SEA from 7x to 10x weekly.

Personally I am highly skeptical that SEA has enough trans-Pacific passengers to support all these airlines. But it is nice to now finally have good representation of OneWorld to Asia. Until now we've had none, now we'll have 2.
Upgauge is in response to the new services. Hence why they are also starting a very heavy SEA ad campaign.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:52 am

Reported in Taiwan's Economic Daily News today:
  • Plan for 4 weekly flights to MXP from early 2020
  • Planning underway for a destination in Germany (currently rumoured to be MUC)
  • BNE moving to 78J starting Nov 2019
Good news, will use BR to BNE in Nov/Dec 2019.

Originally Posted by flyingeverywhere1
I'm kind of surprised that they start to focus on growing in Europe before some U.S. cities! Still remembering a few year ago EVA was talking about expanding to BOS, IAD in North America.. Does EVA even have right to operate route to Germany?

With Europe transitions to 789.. Wonder where they will put their 777s.. The only long haul expansion with 777 now is 3x weekly SEA for now.

But good news for EVA and TPE for getting some new destinations!
What about the remaining European routes? With four frames they are getting less than a handul of 789. Wasn't it AMS and VIE so far only?
buffegg likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:53 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
A big assumption to all this is that the new service will be a nonstop TPE-MXP flight, which the article does not say. If it's a fifth freedom flight via BKK then it will capture effectively all of the above categories, noting that if it operates as a day flight from TPE and an evening flight back:
  • Morning departure from TPE allows BR to capture SE Asia transit traffic
  • BKK-MXP-BKK leg serves OD passengers well with a noon departure from BKK and an evening departure from MXP
  • BKK-MXP-BKK will have no overlap with TG's current service which is an evening departure from BKK followed by an early morning arrival back in BKK
  • BKK-TPE return leg serves NA connecting traffic
I work with students going out from Taiwan and wish there more Taiwan-EU flights as at certain times seats are hard to find. EU is a growing market for students while US bound students are becoming less each year from Taiwan. Prices for student EU flights are higher in General but offset much lower school fees so demand is growing . So not sure any growth to the States in student traffic,but there is growth in the Taiwan-Canada market and students can fly via LAX?SFO/SEA ect. so maybe this marketing is growing.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iamamadscientist
Good news, will use BR to BNE in Nov/Dec 2019.

What about the remaining European routes? With four frames they are getting less than a handul of 789. Wasn't it AMS and VIE so far only?
CDG is remaining 777, as is LHR. Both routes have more than enough cargo and demand to sustain a full 777 (CDG LF is 90%+ with full cargo and LHR is premium heavy)
iamamadscientist likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Just some random thoughts.. Is it likely that BR partners more extensively with other carriers in the NA? Seems like UA/AC are not very keen. I always feel that partnering with AS would work well with BR. Don't know if it is BR who is unwilling or AS... For now you can purchase tickets to secondary NA cites with connections to AS, but that's about it. Or BR can even partner with B6. I think SQ partners with both of them..
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Just some random thoughts.. Is it likely that BR partners more extensively with other carriers in the NA? Seems like UA/AC are not very keen. I always feel that partnering with AS would work well with BR. Don't know if it is BR who is unwilling or AS... For now you can purchase tickets to secondary NA cites with connections to AS, but that's about it. Or BR can even partner with B6. I think SQ partners with both of them..
I don't think UA can get too close since they are already in a JV with NH. AC has been on/off with BR. Right now, I don't think the agreement with AS/VX or B6 is really a priority so they haven't really put much thought into it.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:59 pm

BR seems to sell connecting service onto UA/AS/B6 with equal preference. In fact, I often see AS flights when a similar UA flight were available. The biggest problem is BR inbounds arrive so late that there is basically nothing to connect to within MCT. I'll often book a separate B6 flight that violates the MCT, with a backup rental car.

Also, quite clearly UA and BR are very much competitors. UA is the only US carrier with their own metal to TPE.

This is much like UA and SQ.
Unionruler likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 4:44 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Or BR can even partner with B6.
Doesn't BR already codeshare with B6?
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:54 pm

777 will remain on the AMS route, so no 787 anymore for the summer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.