Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Eva Air Announces Significant Expansion and Changes for 2019

Eva Air Announces Significant Expansion and Changes for 2019

Old Feb 1, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

News reports say 2Q 2019.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage
More expansions coming

Starting July 20., Narita goes triple daily
BR184 0800-1225 TPE NRT 789
BR183 1325-1605 NRT TPE 789.

Starting Aug 12., Phnom Penh (PNH) upgauges from 321 to 332 (except late Sept./early Oct. )

During May/June and Sept/Oct, BR281/282 Cebu(CEB) goes from 321 to 332/333, also BR277/278 (MNL) goes from 321 to 332/333.
During July/Aug, BR158/157 Komatsu(KMQ) goes from 321 to 333 and BR170/169 Seoul (ICN) goes from 321 to 333
buffegg likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:36 am

Programs: VA WP, UA WP, QF LTNB.
I've booked BR316 BNE-TPE in J for Jan next year, which recently just upgraded to A333 lie-flat which is still a slight improvement. Hoping for more solid news on the Dreamliner being deployed on this route over the coming months.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: VA Gold, IML Gold (*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by buffegg
I've booked BR316 BNE-TPE in J for Jan next year, which recently just upgraded to A333 lie-flat which is still a slight improvement. Hoping for more solid news on the Dreamliner being deployed on this route over the coming months.
Agreed. I took the old TPE-BNE J last year and the new one this year. The new one is an improvement ove the old and I was able to get some decent sleep. The new A333 seat is quite snug with limited storage while seated. But it does lie flat and you dont slide off the end.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: DL Gold, QF, VA, CI
Reported in Taiwan's Economic Daily News today:
  • Plan for 4 weekly flights to MXP from early 2020
  • Planning underway for a destination in Germany (currently rumoured to be MUC)
  • BNE moving to 78J starting Nov 2019
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:55 am
tya

Programs: TK Miles&Smiles, AAdvantage, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by someone0000
MUC does make a lot of sense being a strong business and tourism destination. But current Taiwan-Germany agreement doesn't allow it yet.
Given LH has not showed interests in serving Taiwan, I am skeptical if the German side would want to negotiate a new deal with Taiwan.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I'm kind of surprised that they start to focus on growing in Europe before some U.S. cities! Still remembering a few year ago EVA was talking about expanding to BOS, IAD in North America.. Does EVA even have right to operate route to Germany?

With Europe transitions to 789.. Wonder where they will put their 777s.. The only long haul expansion with 777 now is 3x weekly SEA for now.

But good news for EVA and TPE for getting some new destinations!
Old Mar 12, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
North America expansion is on hold because of competition basically... JL and HU took all the potential SE Asia transit traffic ex-BOS and KE is too entrenched in IAD-SE Asia for BR to get in.

The European focus now make sense because it is targeting Taiwan outbound traffic, not SE Asia transit.

MXP is going to be a good station for BR. Lots of outbound Taiwan tourism to Italy and Switzerland that currently routes thru VIE and now be routed open jaw to work with 4x weekly ops. I think the frequency is restricted to 4x by bilateral because CI operates to FCO 3x weekly.

MUC should be a good station too but the bilateral needs to be revised as CI has FRA and each side can only have 1 airline service regardless of which airport. Perhaps the revision is in the works and we just don't know it yet.

I think BR will start returning the older 77W when the lease starts to expire in 2 years. They can easily maintain the fleet capacity by retrofitting all the remaining owned 77W with 10 abreast Y cabin.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
North America expansion is on hold because of competition basically... JL and HU took all the potential SE Asia transit traffic ex-BOS and KE is too entrenched in IAD-SE Asia for BR to get in.
I believe it is more JL and CX that are serving SE Asia from Boston... and both with very high load factors (HU is a different story). There is plenty of opportunity for BR to get in the game, particularly if they do so before NH starts HND service. KE only has a single flight from IAD.

I'm also skeptical that there is enough one-way tourism business to Europe for these new routes. NA has overseas Taiwanese, student travel, SE Asia transit, business travel, and Taiwan->abroad tourism. Europe really only captures the last category.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by east_west
I'm also skeptical that there is enough one-way tourism business to Europe for these new routes. NA has overseas Taiwanese, student travel, SE Asia transit, business travel, and Taiwan->abroad tourism. Europe really only captures the last category.
A big assumption to all this is that the new service will be a nonstop TPE-MXP flight, which the article does not say. If it's a fifth freedom flight via BKK then it will capture effectively all of the above categories, noting that if it operates as a day flight from TPE and an evening flight back:
  • Morning departure from TPE allows BR to capture SE Asia transit traffic
  • BKK-MXP-BKK leg serves OD passengers well with a noon departure from BKK and an evening departure from MXP
  • BKK-MXP-BKK will have no overlap with TG's current service which is an evening departure from BKK followed by an early morning arrival back in BKK
  • BKK-TPE return leg serves NA connecting traffic
Old Mar 12, 2019, 4:49 pm

I'm curious how the yields are on these TPE-BKK-Europe routings... Can they fill up the J cabin? Business travel between Europe and Taiwan is already low, and adding in an extra 1200 miles (4 hours with the BKK layover) doesn't seem like an attractive option.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:51 pm

I'm curious how the yields are on these TPE-BKK-Europe routings... Can they fill up the J cabin? Business travel between Europe and Taiwan is already low, and adding in an extra 1200 miles (4 hours with the BKK layover) doesn't seem like an attractive option.
The yields from the fifth freedom flights come separately from the TPE-BKK and the BKK-Europe sectors, not so much from the whole route end to end per se
  • TPE-BKK is high yielding from connecting NA J travel. BR has already built a strong market for this
  • BKK-Europe is also high yielding from European business and leisure travelers who pay higher J fares relative to those pax originating from TPE. Most of the J seats on to LHR fill up at BKK.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 6:01 pm

• BKK-Europe is also high yielding from European business and leisure travelers who pay higher J fares relative to those pax originating from TPE. Most of the J seats on to LHR fill up at BKK.
I don't doubt this, but find it odd that the Europe-BKK market is so strong but none of the big 3 US carriers is willing to fly to BKK (reportedly, because of low yields and low J demand, if you read the UA boards).
Old Mar 12, 2019, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I don't doubt this, but find it odd that the Europe-BKK market is so strong but none of the big 3 US carriers is willing to fly to BKK (reportedly, because of low yields and low J demand, if you read the UA boards).
Cost differences mean yields mean different things to different airlines. What may be profitable for BR does not mean it is for the US3, considering their high cost structure.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by bzcat

The European focus now make sense because it is targeting Taiwan outbound traffic, not SE Asia transit.

MXP is going to be a good station for BR. Lots of outbound Taiwan tourism to Italy and Switzerland that currently routes thru VIE and now be routed open jaw to work with 4x weekly ops. I think the frequency is restricted to 4x by bilateral because CI operates to FCO 3x weekly.

MUC should be a good station too but the bilateral needs to be revised as CI has FRA and each side can only have 1 airline service regardless of which airport. Perhaps the revision is in the works and we just don't know it yet.

I think BR will start returning the older 77W when the lease starts to expire in 2 years. They can easily maintain the fleet capacity by retrofitting all the remaining owned 77W with 10 abreast Y cabin.
MXP and other comments were made by Chairman Steve Lin during the annual Evergreen Group Investor conference.

With regards to North America, BR has made it very clear that there will be no expansion for the next two years as they "develop existing markets" and focus resources on "other aspects of the overall network".

With regards to the German bilateral, the 3rd son has reportedly been dispatched to begin discussions with governments. He has been credited with many of the bilateral negotiations, including Italy, France, and the UK back in the day.

BR is expecting another great year in 2019, and their Jan/Feb results are already showing this. A jump of 15% and 7% respectively in yields while maintaining roughly the same LF.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.