FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Diamond ... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1934818-diamond.html)

flyerfly Oct 10, 2018 2:09 am

Diamond ...

Hi All, first time posting in the IML forum ... I am the beneficiary of all the good insights/ advices in this forum - thanks for that.

I switched from CX to BR for long haul flights a couple of years ago (partly prompted by the revamp of the CX Marco Polo programme). Have just earned enough for the Diamond status and waiting for it to be effective comes November. I fly mostly in RL for long haul and occasionally in PE intra Asia. BR has fabulous on-board services (friendly crew, nice wines, yummy porridge - enough to make up for the behind the curve premium hard products) and I am generally happy every time I step on-board. I am just wondering:

- are there any additional soft-perks that Diamond members usually get on the ground and on board.
- any idea how many Diamond members are there in the wild? - just curious as IML seems hard to compare to a few other Star Alliance programs ...

But I know I am worse off by putting miles in IML ... the earn/burn rates are just so hmmmmmmm @#$R@#T^%#$@%@!

hayzel7773 Oct 10, 2018 7:19 am

Originally Posted by flyerfly (Post 30298671)
Hi All, first time posting in the IML forum ... I am the beneficiary of all the good insights/ advices in this forum - thanks for that.

I switched from CX to BR for long haul flights a couple of years ago (partly prompted by the revamp of the CX Marco Polo programme). Have just earned enough for the Diamond status and waiting for it to be effective comes November. I fly mostly in RL for long haul and occasionally in PE intra Asia. BR has fabulous on-board services (friendly crew, nice wines, yummy porridge - enough to make up for the behind the curve premium hard products) and I am generally happy every time I step on-board. I am just wondering:

- are there any additional soft-perks that Diamond members usually get on the ground and on board.
- any idea how many Diamond members are there in the wild? - just curious as IML seems hard to compare to a few other Star Alliance programs ...

But I know I am worse off by putting miles in IML ... the earn/burn rates are just so hmmmmmmm @#$R@#T^%#$@%@!

You get a 'hello' from the CP if you are in RL, or the AP in PE/Y. Sometimes, the CP will come say hello even if you are sitting in the back. There are actually quite a few diamonds; it is very easy to get and keep status on BR If you fly N.America to SEA around 4-6x a year. Route with the most Diamonds is TPE-HKG and TPE-SFO.

BlackHappy Oct 10, 2018 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 30299274)
You get a 'hello' from the CP if you are in RL, or the AP in PE/Y. Sometimes, the CP will come say hello even if you are sitting in the back. There are actually quite a few diamonds; it is very easy to get and keep status on BR If you fly N.America to SEA around 4-6x a year. Route with the most Diamonds is TPE-HKG and TPE-SFO.

CP should say hello to everyone in RL. The SOP changed, so that they're no longer required to give greetings to CDs, but some of them still do. Greetings in PE/EY (on 777s) would be given by L3/L4, who are DPs. APs should only be in RL.

I usually ask how many CDs there are. From my informal surveys, there are typically the most in SHA/HKG/SFO (ie, 6-10). JFK/SEA are usually 1-2 (me included).

hayzel7773 Oct 11, 2018 5:30 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy (Post 30301927)
CP should say hello to everyone in RL. The SOP changed, so that they're no longer required to give greetings to CDs, but some of them still do. Greetings in PE/EY (on 777s) would be given by L3/L4, who are DPs. APs should only be in RL.

I usually ask how many CDs there are. From my informal surveys, there are typically the most in SHA/HKG/SFO (ie, 6-10). JFK/SEA are usually 1-2 (me included).

SFO is the dreaded CD route. The FA's hate it. They have to be on top of their game and not screw up in front of some of the CDs cause they are easily irritated and will complain incessantly to the company.

BlackHappy Oct 11, 2018 6:38 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 30303035)
SFO is the dreaded CD route. The FA's hate it. They have to be on top of their game and not screw up in front of some of the CDs cause they are easily irritated and will complain incessantly to the company.

Along the same lines, they will mark passengers who are difficult. Eg, Mr. X always complains about the food, Mr Y drinks too much, Mr Z tries to talk to all the pretty FAs, etc. I hear once you get a remark next to your name, it’s hard to get it removed.

flyerfly Oct 11, 2018 9:01 pm

Thanks all ... I always behave courteously while I am flying and never turn them down whenever the CP/DP ask me if I am willing to write a comment letter - in fact recently when I encounter nice crew I volunteer to write one for them !

On a LAX-TPE flight last month, a CD sitting in PE complaint loudly and in an entitled way about not given the RL slipper and pjamas (the CP and PE DP both refused to provide "cross-cabin" product, and when the CD pressed on and told them he was given those in his previous 3 flights on the same route, the CP still told him no and she thought the previous CPs were in the wrong and she will lodge a report to the company). I thought that was gutsy given EVA service culture seems to be to bow to customers. As I received excellent service, I asked the CP if I could write a compliment for them and she was visibly happy - and commented that the compliment would help to neutralize whatever bad comments they are expecting from the same flight.

Anyway I enjoy my time with EVA so far and would look forward to more pleasant flights with them ... in fact I have booked myself on BR868 on Nov 1 (seems BR867 is sold out) - hopefully EVA don't swap out the 787-9 last min.

BlackHappy Oct 12, 2018 4:05 am

Originally Posted by flyerfly (Post 30305939)
Thanks all ... I always behave courteously while I am flying and never turn them down whenever the CP/DP ask me if I am willing to write a comment letter - in fact recently when I encounter nice crew I volunteer to write one for them !

On a LAX-TPE flight last month, a CD sitting in PE complaint loudly and in an entitled way about not given the RL slipper and pjamas (the CP and PE DP both refused to provide "cross-cabin" product, and when the CD pressed on and told them he was given those in his previous 3 flights on the same route, the CP still told him no and she thought the previous CPs were in the wrong and she will lodge a report to the company). I thought that was gutsy given EVA service culture seems to be to bow to customers. As I received excellent service, I asked the CP if I could write a compliment for them and she was visibly happy - and commented that the compliment would help to neutralize whatever bad comments they are expecting from the same flight.

Anyway I enjoy my time with EVA so far and would look forward to more pleasant flights with them ... in fact I have booked myself on BR868 on Nov 1 (seems BR867 is sold out) - hopefully EVA don't swap out the 787-9 last min.

I’m always on the fence regarding the comment letters. Usually if there’s good service, I submit one online afterwards. It just seems strange that they’ll ask for a letter, we write one, and give it back to them to turn into the company. You’re right that it does more to neutralize bad reviews rather than elevate them in any way.

Their PE slippers are pretty bad. After I went through 2 pairs that broke apart, CP did give me an RL pair. But I would just be embarrassed wearing the Pajamas in PE or EY—seems like an odd request.

Oh—another perk about being CD is that they’re more likely to fix or reimburse you for damaged baggage—though YMMV.

hayzel7773 Oct 12, 2018 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by BlackHappy (Post 30306730)

I’m always on the fence regarding the comment letters. Usually if there’s good service, I submit one online afterwards. It just seems strange that they’ll ask for a letter, we write one, and give it back to them to turn into the company. You’re right that it does more to neutralize bad reviews rather than elevate them in any way.

Their PE slippers are pretty bad. After I went through 2 pairs that broke apart, CP did give me an RL pair. But I would just be embarrassed wearing the Pajamas in PE or EY—seems like an odd request.

Oh—another perk about being CD is that they’re more likely to fix or reimburse you for damaged baggage—though YMMV.

Attitude is everything for the luggage. Show up at the counter screaming and yelling like a crazy person, they are less wiling to help and will instead tell you to go online.

abovethepacific Oct 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Just wondering, do gold card members get a greeting or acknowledgement onboard? And are there any unwritten soft perks for gold card members?

hayzel7773 Oct 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by abovethepacific (Post 30312642)
Just wondering, do gold card members get a greeting or acknowledgement onboard? And are there any unwritten soft perks for gold card members?

Nope.

BlackHappy Oct 13, 2018 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 30312740)
Nope.

That said, diamonds and golds are noted on the passenger list, so the FAs will know who you are.

Counterpointing Oct 13, 2018 11:22 pm

Haven't tried EVA yet but with all the intrigue, I might just have to try.

They might be good, they might be bad but I like experiences.

hayzel7773 Oct 14, 2018 11:13 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy (Post 30313107)

That said, diamonds and golds are noted on the passenger list, so the FAs will know who you are.

There are too many golds. The requirements are a joke. The joke amongst the FA's are that the gold card is one level above a MRT card.

restlessinRNO Oct 14, 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773 (Post 30314466)
There are too many golds. The requirements are a joke. The joke amongst the FA's are that the gold card is one level above a MRT card.

I am not a IML member. But I think their Gold requirements are very similar to other Star Alliance carriers. As I read the BR web page "Within a 12 months period during the current valid Silver Card status: 50,000 miles or more on qualifying international flights …". :)

hayzel7773 Oct 14, 2018 11:52 am

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO (Post 30314536)
I am not a IML member. But I think their Gold requirements are very similar to other Star Alliance carriers. As I read the BR web page "Within a 12 months period during the current valid Silver Card status: 50,000 miles or more on qualifying international flights …". :)

A roundtrip from the US to S.E.A. is around 20k miles. You need 3 to get gold, then you just have to fly 4-5 times in two years to maintain it. You only need 80k within a two year period to maintain it.

This is why when people get angry then demand things from the BR staff saying they are gold and what not, they will remark your name.