Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

SFO GA Accused of Discriminating Against Same-Sex Couple

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO GA Accused of Discriminating Against Same-Sex Couple

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Hard to believe that this couple is running with this as some sort of blatant gay discrimination. ONE parent, what is it they didn't understand ? Even if the GA was mistaken about that fact, I hardly think it was even noticed that they were a gay couple (in SFO no less) and certainly not singled out as a discriminatory action. ....."EVA Air is reviewing our diversity training with our airport staff and agents...." -- Why?...the GA or any other ground staff doesn't need diversity training, they just need to be corrected about what's allowed as far as correct family boarding procedures. Had absolutely nothing to do with them being a gay couple. Has everything to do with the Cobb family making a federal case out of nothing. Hopefully the gate agent didn't lose their job due to this over-reaction and EVA Air's unnecessary apology taking all the blame for an honest mistake.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Sep 7, 2018 at 10:54 pm
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Reportdly they were the only family preboard that was restricted to one parent. The others were not. It may not be a gay related action but it was selectively applied to them and not the others. It’s also against BR’s policy to do so.

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
Hard to believe that this couple is running with this as some sort of blatant gay discrimination. ONE parent, what is it they didn't understand ? Even if the GA was mistaken about that fact, I hardly think it was even noticed that they were a gay couple (in SFO no less) and certainly not singled out as a discriminatory action. ....."EVA Air is reviewing our diversity training with our airport staff and agents...." -- Why?...the GA or any other ground staff doesn't need diversity training, they just need to be corrected about what's allowed as far as correct family boarding procedures. Had absolutely nothing to do with them being a gay couple. Has everything to do with the Cobb family making a federal case out of nothing. Hopefully the gate agent didn't lose their job due to this over-reaction and EVA Air's unnecessary apology taking all the blame for an honest mistake.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Reportdly they were the only family preboard that was restricted to one parent. The others were not. It may not be a gay related action but it was selectively applied to them and not the others. It’s also against BR’s policy to do so.

Sorry, but a gate agent is too busy boarding hundreds of people and isn't going to have time to even notice this was a gay couple with a child that had to board separately. Going on Twitter and to all sorts of international news sources is beyond ridiculous. Good grief, boarding mistakes of all kinds are made on a daily basis with every airline in the world, but the Cobbs, I guess, are so super-sensitive and not able to handle a mistake. These crybabies are the people who need to search out their safe places, run and hide to it as quickly as possible. Maybe they need to consult a lawyer and then investigate or create PTSD insurance for any future perceived offenses and how to get through the trauma. I'd bet my life that there were other mistakes made by counter and/or gate agents on that flight - like taking a bag for gate check when there was still room on board for it or charging someone the wrong amount for a seat change, or not boarding a special meal request or any number of things. Of course those errors are annoying but most adults can certainly cope with the error and basically forget about it. We are all "victims" of something at one time or another.
hayzel7773 and hardworking21 like this.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Sep 8, 2018 at 9:20 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.