operational upgrades (op up)

Old Aug 30, 18, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
operational upgrades (op up)

Seems on HKG-TPE I see it more often, I as UA Gold have got it a few times as surprise at the gate. Wondering EVA higher level status members get it a lot on this route?
Old Aug 31, 18, 3:05 am

It's a common knowledge that airlines upgrade their own elite members first, then the alliance elite members. If you were upgraded as a *A gold, I am sure the EVA elite members were also upgraded before you. And TPE-HKG is only 1 hour flight, the upgrade does not worth much. But please let us know what your real question is.
Old Sep 1, 18, 2:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE, AA, UA, *G
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
But please let us know what your real question is.
The question was whether BR elites get op-ups a lot *on this route* (and I presume implied "compared to other routes"). It's a fair question.
Taipei likes this.
Old Sep 26, 18, 9:14 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Does fare class matter? Ie, if I'm Diamond on a free ticket, will I get an OP UP before a *A Gold on a full priced ticket?
Old Sep 28, 18, 11:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
I'd have to think you as a BR Diamond would receive an op-up before me as a UA *Gold regardless of fare class.

Originally Posted by BlackHappy View Post
Does fare class matter? Ie, if I'm Diamond on a free ticket, will I get an OP UP before a *A Gold on a full priced ticket?
Old Sep 29, 18, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by 764toHI View Post
I'd have to think you as a BR Diamond would receive an op-up before me as a UA *Gold regardless of fare class.
okayómakes me feel optimistic in getting bumped up to PE, though Iím not holding my breath! Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 18, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Did you get your op-up? With lots of Japan flights cancelled, may have been lots of open seats on people connecting from Typhoon hit Japan this past weekend.
Old Sep 30, 18, 11:32 pm

Yes I did!
Taipei and capin like this.
Old Oct 2, 18, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Hi everyone,

I am on the BR68 from LHR to BKK in PE on October 29th flying back on the BR 67 from BKK to LHR also in PE on November 02nd. I no longer have any status with Star Alliance since I got stuck with Oneworld a while ago.

BR67 on November 02nd seems so busy that I can not even select seats in the PE cabin - on evair.com/manage my booking it says seats will be assigned at check-in.

Would someone check the loads on these fligths and let me know if there is a slight chance of getting an op up?

I am really looking forward to experiencing EVA Air. I have never flown with them but the feedback I've been reading is really very good.

Thank you!
Old Oct 2, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: TK Elite, HH G
It is way too early to tell anything about the loads for a flight early next month. Inquire a 1-2 days before the flight and you will get a more firm picture.

Anyway, the chances of an up-op are so slim for you that I wouldn't even consider it possible. I'm afraid that you are bound to be disappointed if you believe that you may be upgraded to C.
Old Oct 2, 18, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR View Post
It is way too early to tell anything about the loads for a flight early next month. Inquire a 1-2 days before the flight and you will get a more firm picture.

Anyway, the chances of an up-op are so slim for you that I wouldn't even consider it possible. I'm afraid that you are bound to be disappointed if you believe that you may be upgraded to C.
Thank you for your reply, SK AAR! I was just asking for the opinion of you guys, EVA Air experts. I will be perfectly content in PE and was just curious to hear the overall experience with regards to op ups.

The airline reputation is excellent and the reviews about EVA's PE product are also positive so it's all good!

Thank you again.
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by LondonFlight View Post
Thank you for your reply, SK AAR! I was just asking for the opinion of you guys, EVA Air experts. I will be perfectly content in PE and was just curious to hear the overall experience with regards to op ups.

The airline reputation is excellent and the reviews about EVA's PE product are also positive so it's all good!

Thank you again.
I do hope you can experience RL, but it seems unlikely youíll get an op-up. If there are spaces, priority goes Diamond, Staff (Free ticket voucher), Staff (discounted tickets, then Gold/Silver/etc. for the Europe flights, staff standby often reaches 10-20.

That said, not even staff can see loading beyond 2-3 weeks. So, best bet is to sit tight for now and hope for the best!
Old Oct 3, 18, 7:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
They are likely to bump everyone else who has status before you and let you have their seats instead.
Old Oct 4, 18, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy View Post

I do hope you can experience RL, but it seems unlikely youíll get an op-up. If there are spaces, priority goes Diamond, Staff (Free ticket voucher), Staff (discounted tickets, then Gold/Silver/etc. for the Europe flights, staff standby often reaches 10-20.

That said, not even staff can see loading beyond 2-3 weeks. So, best bet is to sit tight for now and hope for the best!
Thank you BlackHappy! Both flights on Oct 29 LHR-BKK and on Nov 02 BKK-LHR look super busy on EVA's own website but I can see on ExpertFlyer that some seats are actually blocked. Right now I am on 22G on the way to Thailand but have no assignment on the way back as EVA says all seats available for assignment have already been taken. I just hope not to end up in a middle seat. 😀
Old Oct 4, 18, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103 View Post
They are likely to bump everyone else who has status before you and let you have their seats instead.
Hi coolfish 1103! Hopefully the lucky upgraded passengers from PE will free up those much coveted bulkhead seats... 😉

Search this Thread
Search Engine: