Community
Wiki Posts
Search

operational upgrades (op up)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by capin
@LondonFlight, I think your questions were put very reasonably.

I am flying ORD-BKK on Nov 17th and back on December 2nd in Premium Economy. I have One World Emerald status (appreciate this means nothing to Eva) and just register for the EVA FF program. According to expertflyer and Eva's seat reservation system, The ORD-TPE sector looks very busy. Do Eva offer POUGs?
From my experience with Eva before, Eva does not offer POUG. AUP is possible but extremely unlikely. When a flight is full, they will op up their diamond and gold members (or sometimes Eva silver and *G if its very full)
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by jeffrey262626
From my experience with Eva before, Eva does not offer POUG. AUP is possible but extremely unlikely. When a flight is full, they will op up their diamond and gold members (or sometimes Eva silver and *G if its very full)
Thanks @jeffrey262626,

I might tap them up at the airport and see what they are looking for.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 4:44 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks @jeffrey262626,

I might tap them up at the airport and see what they are looking for.
Just a warning, asking about paid upgrades with BR at Check-in means paying the fare difference between your fare and a full-refundable C fare, which is normally 1.5-double the J saver fare. In terms of IUOS, asking at check-in won't help. They normally upgrade single Diamond/Gold travelers, followed by Diamond/Gold and their traveling partners, and then silver/*G. Upgrades are done beforehand by airport team prior to opening of check-in or after check-in closes in the order the computer gives them.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, BA Gold
Originally Posted by LondonFlight
Hello hayzel7773,

Thank you so much for checking! That's very good news. Ideally, I'd love to grab a bulkhead seat but if I at least manage to escape that middle seat in the last row on the BR67 back to London I will be happy!

Thank you again!
As Hayzel7773 mentioned, Eva's online seat selection is inaccurate. (unless you're Eva gold or above)

On your first flight, 22G is a good seat and at this point, it's unlikely that you'll get a better seat.

The second flight doesn't look too great.

Eva usually block off row 23 for status pax. However, it never hurt to ask when you get to the airport.

Code:
Flight Load for Oct29 BR68 : K7 L7 T2

Code:
Flight Load for Nov 2 BR67: K5 L5
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Also note that BR67/68 and other Europe flights typically have an ID waitlist of 10+ pax. These people will get seats before CG op ups.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:50 pm

So, I am already back from Bangkok and am happy to say that I really enjoyed flying EVA Air in Premium Economy. I flew with a work colleague and we were delighted to be assigned seats 20HK from LHR to BKK and 20AC from BKK to LHR.

My first experience flying EVA was very positive - service and food were very good and so was the crew:

Melissa Cho, on the right, was working in the PE cabin on the way from LHR to BKK - she was truly amazing. Overall the whole crew I came in contact with was very pleasant and worked extremely hard.

Pan Fried Chicken Cake with Lotus Root Served with Waldorf Salad, Roasted Cajun Cod With Creamy Mushroom Sauce Served with Steamed New Potatoes

Stewed Pork with Capital Sauce Served with Egg Fried Rice

Pork Pie and Cheese, Stir-Fried Noodles with Prawn and Vegetables

Pinky was absolutely fantastic on the way from BKK back to LHR.

Smoked Duck Slice with Thai Laap Pet and Apple Salad, Braised Pork with Five Spice Flavor Served with Steamed Rice

Mushroom Omelette Served with Pork Sausage

Stir Fried Noodles with Vegetables and Chicken Julienne

The Sport amenity kit was given on the BR68 to BKK. The Furla one was handed on the BR67 to LHR.

Overall both flights were excellent. If I am allowed some constructive criticism - meals should be served on real crockery and real glasses. The plastic containers and cups have cheapened the experience and detracted from the "premium" tag, I felt. I also wonder what it is like to fly on the other rows - it was great to be able to keep my legs stretched on row 20 so I would probably have been less satisfied by having just the small footrest for support. All seats should offer the same level of comfort and features, I suppose.

An extra three or four inches of recline would have, perhaps, helped me feel less upright and fall asleep. I did not manage to sleep but was comfortable though and had plenty of space to move around.

Perhaps EVA could also charge a fee for access to their lounges like Lufthansa does by charging EUR25 for access to their Business Lounge. I no longer have status with Star Alliance so I paid £20 to access the Plaza Premium Lounge at Terminal 2. For around the same cost per person we used the Oman Air lounge at BKK Airport via Priority Pass.

The only other option to fly in Premium Economy between LHR and BKK nonstop is British Airways but the fare seems to be higher for an inferior service and product.

I would not hesitate to fly EVA Air in Premium Economy again and will repeat the experience at the first opportunity.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me by answering my queries about seat assignment.

Last edited by LondonFlight; Nov 7, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
So, I am already back from Bangkok and am happy to say that I really enjoyed flying EVA Air in Premium Economy. I flew with a work colleague and we were delighted to be assigned seats 20HK from LHR to BKK and 20AC from BKK to LHR.

My first experience flying EVA was very positive - service and food were very good and so was the crew:

Melissa Cho, on the right, was working in the PE cabin on the way from LHR to BKK - she was truly amazing. Overall the whole crew I came in contact with was very pleasant and worked extremely hard.

Pan Fried Chicken Cake with Lotus Root Served with Waldorf Salad, Roasted Cajun Cod With Creamy Mushroom Sauce Served with Steamed New Potatoes

Smoked Duck Slice with Thai Laap Pet and Apple Salad, Braised Pork with Five Spice Flavor Served with Steamed Rice

The Sport amenity kit was given on the BR68 to BKK. The Furla one was handed on the BR67 to LHR.

Overall both flights were excellent. If I am allowed some constructive criticism - meals should be served on real crockery and real glasses. The plastic containers and cups have cheapened the experience and detracted from the "premium" tag, I felt. I also wonder what it is like to fly on the other rows - it was great to be able to keep my legs stretched on row 20 so I would probably have been less satisfied by having just the small footrest for support. All seats should offer the same level of comfort and features, I suppose.

An extra three or four inches of recline would have, perhaps, helped me feel less upright and fall asleep. I did not manage to sleep but was comfortable though and had plenty of space to move around.

Perhaps EVA could also charge a fee for access to their lounges like Lufthansa does by charging EUR25 for access to their Business Lounge. I no longer have status with Star Alliance so I paid £20 to access the Plaza Premium Lounge at Terminal 2. For around the same cost per person we used the Oman Air lounge at BKK Airport via Priority Pass.

The only other option to fly in Premium Economy between LHR and BKK nonstop is British Airways but the fare seems to be higher for an inferior service and product.

I would not hesitate to fly EVA Air in Premium Economy again and will repeat the experience at the first opportunity.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me by answering my queries about seat assignment.
Glad to hear you enjoyed your first experience with BR! The glass and crockery is something that BR has cheapened since 2008. Back then, it used to be glassware but they were slowly retired and replaced with the plastic because of the weight they added. Only in the last few years have they introduced metal cutlery. I hope to see them bring it back soon though,
LondonFlight likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I also wonder what it is like to fly on the other rows - it was great to be able to keep my legs stretched on row 20 so I would probably have been less satisfied by having just the small footrest for support. All seats should offer the same level of comfort and features, I suppose.
I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your BR flights. Your experience more or less mirrors mine from my recent BR flights VIE to TPE return in PE (with a stopover at BKK on the outbound).

I was in seat 20C on the BKK-TPE leg and in 23K for the return flight TPE-VIE. I'm quite tall and felt more comfortable in 22K. The footrest made a big difference for me; I actually used the pillow to make it more comfortable for my feet (shoes were off) and to get my feet a bit higher. In seat 20C I was able to stretch my legs and rest my feet on the seat pocket bolted to the bulkhead, but for some reason I didn't feel that comfortable nor slept much (this was BR206, the night/red-eye BKK-TPE flight)
LondonFlight likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 1:01 pm

Thanks a lot for this, Really nice review. I am flying BR55 on November 17th in PE, I hope my flight is as good as yours.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:41 pm

Thanks a lot for this, Really nice review. I am flying BR55 on November 17th in PE, I hope my flight is as good as yours.
Hello capin,

I have no doubt that you will also have a great experience! The EVA Air Premium Economy product is very good so I hope you will have a great time. If possible please share your experience.

Have a great flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.