Community
Wiki Posts
Search

operational upgrades (op up)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlackHappy

I do hope you can experience RL, but it seems unlikely you’ll get an op-up. If there are spaces, priority goes Diamond, Staff (Free ticket voucher), Staff (discounted tickets, then Gold/Silver/etc. for the Europe flights, staff standby often reaches 10-20.

That said, not even staff can see loading beyond 2-3 weeks. So, best bet is to sit tight for now and hope for the best!
You made it sounds like EVA would op up people just to fill up their C cabin. This is absolutely false. No, they will NOT op up people from economy cabin to business cabin even if there are plenty of open seats in business cabin. The only reason for op up on long haul flights is because the economy is oversold.

Last edited by Mama; Oct 4, 2018 at 2:40 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by Mama
You made it sounds like EVA would op up people just to fill up their C cabin. This is absolutely false. No, they will NOT op up people from economy cabin to business cabin even if there are plenty of open seats in business cabin. The only reason for op up on long haul flights is because the economy is oversold.
thanks for correcting a misinterpretation of my note. Also, they wouldn’t upgrade from EY to RL on his flight. They’ll only do one cabin. Which means, one other reason for an op up would be if PE is oversold.

Lastly, they will also op down if it’s a staff ticket and the PE cabin is oversold.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by BlackHappy

thanks for correcting a misinterpretation of my note. Also, they wouldn’t upgrade from EY to RL on his flight. They’ll only do one cabin. Which means, one other reason for an op up would be if PE is oversold.

Lastly, they will also op down if it’s a staff ticket and the PE cabin is oversold.
Really? I paid for PE both ways and right now the cabin looks very busy on both legs, so much so that I cannot even select a seat on the way back from BKK to LHR.

Premium Economy LHR-BKK 29OCT

Premium Economy BKK-LHR 02NOV "Seat selection function is closed for this flight, please have your seat assigned at the airport."

How accurate is the seat map when you try to select seats on EVA's website?

There is no way I would accept to be downgraded. At which stage of the process would the downgrade happen - check-in, gate, on board? I would not want to trade down on comfort so if they happen to want to downgrade me can I actually refuse to board the plane and ask to be accomodated on the next flight, perhaps with another airline that also has a Premium Economy cabin?

Last edited by LondonFlight; Oct 4, 2018 at 1:05 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Balckhappy was talking about "staff ticket" being op down. Your ticket is not a "staff ticket", is it?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Mama
Balckhappy was talking about "staff ticket" being op down. Your ticket is not a "staff ticket", is it?
Thank you for the clarification, Mama. I am relieved I misread Blackhappy's comment.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
LondonFlight - you are way overthinking this. You will neither be upgraded nor downgraded; you will travel exactly as the ticket is - in PE! You already have a nice seat for the outbound flight - for the return flight you will be able to select a seat at online check-in or ultimately the staff will assign you as seat check-in (if you don't like it inquire about another seat). Some of the seats are blocked and appear as already assigned in the seat map - but they will be released for online check-in or for check-in at the airport.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:52 am

Hi SK AAR,

I am new to EVA Air and was curious to hear about their upgrade policy. As you will see in my initial post I am fine with the class of travel and do not expect to be upgraded, although I asked if there is a slight chance of getting an op up, that's all. I have been flying for a considerable while and do get the odd surprise now and then.

Hopefully I will get a good seat on the way back - I will jump on the online check-in as it opens.

Thanks again.

Last edited by LondonFlight; Oct 5, 2018 at 4:29 am
Old Oct 16, 2018, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
It is not impossible though. I was upgraded (up-op) last week BR62, VIE-BKK from PE to RL (I'm TK Gold). PE overbooked. I witnessed other upgrades as well; all processed at the gate. Some where clearly friends/relatives of senior gate staff (some chitchat, waving goodbye etc) and one appeared to be TG staff.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by LondonFlight

Hopefully I will get a good seat on the way back - I will jump on the online check-in as it opens.

Thanks again.
Keep checking daily a week before departure. EVA usually open up non reserved blocked seats.

Current open seats :
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: MP, BR
Hi SK AAR,

I am new to EVA Air and was curious to hear about their upgrade policy. As you will see in my initial post I am fine with the class of travel and do not expect to be upgraded, although I asked if there is a slight chance of getting an op up, that's all. I have been flying for a considerable while and do get the odd surprise now and then.

Thanks again.
I think what many of us here is trying to say is "don't have any expectations on upgrade", especially since you have no status whatsoever. Many Asian carriers do not give upgrades out the way some American and European airlines do - they are happy to fly with empty premium cabins if no tickets were sold.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:24 am

Hello Chromie25,

Thank you so much for your comments.

Just to make it clear, I have no expectations of being upgraded. This will be my first time flying EVA so I asked what their upgrade policies are like, curious to hear how they manage their cabins when they seem to be as oversold as their PE is on both BR67 LHR-BKK on October 29th and BR68 BKK-LHR on November 02nd. The PE is practically sold out on both ways so I asked: Would someone check the loads on these flights and let me know if there is a slight chance of getting an op-up?

That's all. I used to be Star Alliance Gold with Varig, then with Air Canada, then with United, with British Airways... so I think I had enough exposure to the upgrading game to agree that if you want to fly in a premium cabin you better book it right away. I cannot tell you how many times I noticed that my status had been overlooked to allow airline employees and friends of staff to access premium space that perhaps should have been allocated to paying passengers - we have all been there, I suppose.

You are very right, airlines are happy to fly with empty premium cabins - on some occasions I have found myself sitting there with just a small handful of other passengers while the back of the plane was packed.

I have an aisle seat in the middle section of the plane on the way to BKK as there was nothing else to select. There was no availability to select seats on the return leg and, to my horror, I discovered this week that I have been automatically assigned a middle seat in the last row so I am very unhappy and concerned about that. I just hope there will be enough Golds, Diamonds and other super-duper status holders who will be blessed with upgrades so I may stand a chance of grabbing a decent seat on the way back home.

As kindly suggested by asiadxer, I am checking every day to see if a decent seat will eventually open. I am crossing my fingers for myself.

Last edited by LondonFlight; Oct 21, 2018 at 5:33 am
Old Oct 21, 2018, 5:26 am

I am very happy to hear that you were upgraded, SK AAR! Hopefully the same will happen on my flights so I can access better seats in the Premium Economy cabin.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I am very happy to hear that you were upgraded, SK AAR! Hopefully the same will happen on my flights so I can access better seats in the Premium Economy cabin.
Just wanted you to know that according to the latest bookings on your flight, the PE cabin is nowhere near sold out or overbooked. You will be able to switch seats accordingly when the blocked seats are opened by rev. mgmt. I suggest calling in and putting a note on your reservation that you would like a better seat.
BR68 PE Loading:
K7 L2 T0 P0
BR67 PE Loading:
K4 L1 T0 P0
BR's online seat selection seat map is not accurate in portraying availability because it shows blocked seats as selected.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 2:22 pm

Hello hayzel7773,

Thank you so much for checking! That's very good news. Ideally, I'd love to grab a bulkhead seat but if I at least manage to escape that middle seat in the last row on the BR67 back to London I will be happy!

Thank you again!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 9:39 am

Hello Chromie25,

Thank you so much for your comments.

Just to make it clear, I have no expectations of being upgraded. This will be my first time flying EVA so I asked what their upgrade policies are like, curious to hear how they manage their cabins when they seem to be as oversold as their PE is on both BR67 LHR-BKK on October 29th and BR68 BKK-LHR on November 02nd. The PE is practically sold out on both ways so I asked: Would someone check the loads on these flights and let me know if there is a slight chance of getting an op-up?

That's all. I used to be Star Alliance Gold with Varig, then with Air Canada, then with United, with British Airways... so I think I had enough exposure to the upgrading game to agree that if you want to fly in a premium cabin you better book it right away. I cannot tell you how many times I noticed that my status had been overlooked to allow airline employees and friends of staff to access premium space that perhaps should have been allocated to paying passengers - we have all been there, I suppose.

You are very right, airlines are happy to fly with empty premium cabins - on some occasions I have found myself sitting there with just a small handful of other passengers while the back of the plane was packed.

I have an aisle seat in the middle section of the plane on the way to BKK as there was nothing else to select. There was no availability to select seats on the return leg and, to my horror, I discovered this week that I have been automatically assigned a middle seat in the last row so I am very unhappy and concerned about that. I just hope there will be enough Golds, Diamonds and other super-duper status holders who will be blessed with upgrades so I may stand a chance of grabbing a decent seat on the way back home.

As kindly suggested by asiadxer, I am checking every day to see if a decent seat will eventually open. I am crossing my fingers for myself.
@LondonFlight, I think your questions were put very reasonably.

I am flying ORD-BKK on Nov 17th and back on December 2nd in Premium Economy. I have One World Emerald status (appreciate this means nothing to Eva) and just registered for the EVA FF program. According to expertflyer and Eva's seat reservation system, The ORD-TPE sector looks very busy. Do Eva offer POUGs?

Last edited by capin; Oct 23, 2018 at 12:25 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.