Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Use of Pts to Fly EVA Business

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Best Use of Pts to Fly EVA Business

Hi not sure if this is the best place to ask these types of questions. I have the following points:

Chase Ultimate Rewards - 110,000
American Express - 47,000
Citi Thank You - 11,000

What's the best way to use these points to fly business from LAX to TPE?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Mods I figured out where to post this. Please delete
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
You only have 2 options: Singapore's FFP or United. United is the better choice since it only requires 80k (which you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to get) vs. Singapore's 105k for one-way.

There's not enough for a 2 way redemption, but if you save more American Express MR points, you can transfer 95k to ANA for a round trip ticket in business.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

So you're saying transfer them to United MileagePlus and then use those points with EVA?

Originally Posted by Dave510
You only have 2 options: Singapore's FFP or United. United is the better choice since it only requires 80k (which you can transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards to get) vs. Singapore's 105k for one-way.

There's not enough for a 2 way redemption, but if you save more American Express MR points, you can transfer 95k to ANA for a round trip ticket in business.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Bah United only shows one available flight for business for EVA even though EVA air has more availability on their website. Any suggestions on how to get around this?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by MyCoalFlyerTalk
So you're saying transfer them to United MileagePlus and then use those points with EVA?
Yes, 80k from Chase to United, and use United to book EVA one-way.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Call UA to see if they can book it. Some availability doesn't get reflected in searches, some is phantom availability and then there is also sometimes when availability is restricted to the operating airline's program but it's worth giving UA a call.

Bah United only shows one available flight for business for EVA even though EVA air has more availability on their website. Any suggestions on how to get around this?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:33 am

This is pretty typical -- many airlines release more award space to their own members than to partners. But as another poster suggested, it is worth calling UA to see if they can see this availability and book it for you by phone.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus
What i did was buy a ECO Flex on EVA and use United Points to upgrade to Royal Laurel class. It only costs 30k each way or 60k points roundtrip.

For instance I booked a ECO Flex roundtrip ticket from Houston-Manila at EVA Air. After booking, I transferred points from Chase UR to United Mileage Plus and upgraded the IAH-TPE and TPE-IAH legs for 30k points each way, using Star Alliance Upgrade.

I am ok with sitting on economy for the TPE-MNL and MNL-TPE since its only a 1.5 hr flight. I actually picked a premium economy seat for the short flight since EVA does not offer premium economy service for MNL.

I paid around $1,400 for the round trip tickets, which is around double than the cheapest economy seats, but is more than 3 times cheaper than paying the cheapest business class seat. Plus, I only spent 60k points roundtrip compared to spending 80k each way. Also, i find there's more availability using Star Alliance Upgrade compared to using points entirely.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: BR *G, Aeroplan, AA, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carlos.htx
What i did was buy a ECO Flex on EVA and use United Points to upgrade to Royal Laurel class. It only costs 30k each way or 60k points roundtrip.

For instance I booked a ECO Flex roundtrip ticket from Houston-Manila at EVA Air. After booking, I transferred points from Chase UR to United Mileage Plus and upgraded the IAH-TPE and TPE-IAH legs for 30k points each way, using Star Alliance Upgrade.

I am ok with sitting on economy for the TPE-MNL and MNL-TPE since its only a 1.5 hr flight. I actually picked a premium economy seat for the short flight since EVA does not offer premium economy service for MNL.

I paid around $1,400 for the round trip tickets, which is around double than the cheapest economy seats, but is more than 3 times cheaper than paying the cheapest business class seat. Plus, I only spent 60k points roundtrip compared to spending 80k each way. Also, i find there's more availability using Star Alliance Upgrade compared to using points entirely.
I do something very similar except I transfer Amex MR points to Aeroplan and upgrade to Royal Laurel class and that is only 25k each way so 50k round trip. Much better than using EVA's own currency (60k one-way from economy to business or 35k from elite class to business)! I always just check Aeroplan award availability for business class before buying my EVA ticket. I have found that Aeroplan award inventory is sometimes different from what United has (though usually pretty similar).
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by carlos.htx

I was wondering why you didn't get the cheaper semi-flex, then saw the MP policy that that fare class incurs a $350 copay! Zoinks!

Originally Posted by staralliancetravellust
I do something very similar except I transfer Amex MR points to Aeroplan and upgrade to Royal Laurel class and that is only 25k each way so 50k round trip. Much better than using EVA's own currency (60k one-way from economy to business or 35k from elite class to business)! I always just check Aeroplan award availability for business class before buying my EVA ticket. I have found that Aeroplan award inventory is sometimes different from what United has (though usually pretty similar).
I haven't heard of Aeroplan. Does it work for flights out of LAX? Obviously 25k Chase UR or Citi ThankYou Points beats 30k from MileagePlus.

I'm looking at getting an award upgrade from LAX-TPE but MP website shows no award inventory. In that case, I'd rather fly ONT-TPE on BR, which is substantially less hassle than flying out of LAX.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BR *G, Aeroplan, AA, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JackTripper
I haven't heard of Aeroplan. Does it work for flights out of LAX? Obviously 25k Chase UR or Citi ThankYou Points beats 30k from MileagePlus.

I'm looking at getting an award upgrade from LAX-TPE but MP website shows no award inventory. In that case, I'd rather fly ONT-TPE on BR, which is substantially less hassle than flying out of LAX.
Unfortunately you can only transfer Amex MR or SPG/Marriott points to Aeroplan so if you find award availability and can get your MR balance up to 50k, you'll be able to upgrade to business class round-trip.

I've been finding pretty good award availability for LAX and SEA recently and upgraded multiple times using Aeroplan miles (most recently for Dec 2018/Jan 2019 travel). Sounds like you can also get a better sense of award availability by calling EVA directly but have to be careful of what is available to EVA's own frequent fliers vs. other Star Alliance partners (see Star Alliance Upgrade Award on EVA thread).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:56 pm

I was wondering why you didn't get the cheaper semi-flex, then saw the MP policy that that fare class incurs a $350 copay! Zoinks!
Glad I found this thread. I am also looking to book a flight on EVA. I am also curious about paying for the more expensive flight vs the Semi.

I dont see the 80k Business UA option for my flight (only the 35K economy option). My other option is using 33K Chase Ultimate Reward pts. Would I be able to buy with chase then upgrade with UA miles?
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by staralliancetravellust
I always just check Aeroplan award availability for business class before buying my EVA ticket.
The upgrade books into Z, not I. Best practice is to call BR and ask if there is Z inventory available, as it does not show in any of the online search engines.

Huh? There's no co-pay on a *A upgrade.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:29 am

Would my best bet be to book the 35K United Miles for Economy on my EVA BR flight (JFK-TPE) and hope business opens up?

Or can I book with 33K Chase UR points and some how upgrade another way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.