Wiki Posts
Search

Airside check in at TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Singapore Air, Southwest
Airside check in at TBIT

I will be flying business with EVA from LAX-TPE, carry-on only luggage. However I am flying into LAX on AA on a separate ticket. Can I take the air bridge from T4 to TBIT staying airside and check in for my EVA flight either at the gate of in the *A lounge? I understand that online check in is not permitted with EVA flights from the US. BTW I have 1 hr 49 min connect time.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 2:22 am

Not sure if it helps, but I have had my boarding pass printed at the *A lounge when connecting from UA to SQ. But in my case I had already checked in online, and I had just over 2 hours between flights.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Remember you don't actually have a connection as they're separate tickets so you should be prepared to have to exit, check-in and go through security (without PreCheck as Eva doesn't participate). Trying at the lounge does sound like a good plan but be prepared to have to do the whole process if they cannot. 1h50m does make either sound doable. The check-in desk closes 45 minutes before the flight departs.
Often1 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Also bear in mind that BR has a minimum 60-minute check-in. OP is transferring between two tickets with 1:50 between scheduled arrival and departure. Thus, he has 49 minutes to make it from seated on the AA inbound aircraft to wherever he checks in. Even checked in, that is awfully tight because there won't be any protection should the AA flight be delayed.

I would absolutely call BR and confirm that they will check you in at the lounge or gate.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The other problem is how does OP get into the lounge without an invitation / BP? The *A Lounge is very busy that time of the day and I am not sure how the dragon will handle it.

I would:

1 - Call the airport office at +1-310-646-9813 to find out how to do this
2 - See if they can at least add the inbound and outbound AA flights to the BR PNR as Information Only segments so they know where you are in case things go wrong
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Check-in is not relevant in OP's situation. The only issue is conformance (verifying CC, etc.) and BP printing as OP can still ACI on the BR website. BR just won't issue the BP until after completing conformance.

At SFO, it has never been a problem passing conformance at the gate. I have never flown BR ex-LAX but there is no reason why the policies/procedures should be different there (OP can call BR to verify for sure). OP can try the *A lounge first, and if that fails, just go to the gate to get the BP.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:40 am

I flew BR ex-LAX last year and checked in online, connecting at LAX on a different ticket. BR simply called our names at the gate about an hour before boarding to perform conformance and get a boarding pass.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
To me, the issue is not getting the BP airside, it's the 1:49 connection to international long-haul at LAX on separate tix. Bad idea. Lots of runway work at LAX causing delays lately, and if you miss, there's no protection.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Just another data point: I had a similar situation at LAX with a UA->CX set of flights on separate tickets, and wanted to check in at the QF First Class lounge. They acted like they had never heard of such a thing before (checking in at the lounge). How they accomodated me was to call down to the main check-in counter, read them my passport information, and then have them check me in. I then got a BP "reprint" at the gate prior to boarding. Whether the *A lounge and BR is willing to do such a thing (if they end up not being able to check in directly), I have no idea.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Steve M
Just another data point: I had a similar situation at LAX with a UA->CX set of flights on separate tickets, and wanted to check in at the QF First Class lounge. They acted like they had never heard of such a thing before (checking in at the lounge). How they accomodated me was to call down to the main check-in counter, read them my passport information, and then have them check me in. I then got a BP "reprint" at the gate prior to boarding. Whether the *A lounge and BR is willing to do such a thing (if they end up not being able to check in directly), I have no idea.
I will repeat once again that check-in is not the problem in OP's situation as OP can still ACI on the BR website. What OP cannot obtain is the BP, which BR will not issue until passing conformance.

This raises two issues as far as the OP taking care of conformance check at the LAX *A lounge: 1) Is there anyone at the LAX *A lounge who can actually perform the check; and 2) will they allow OP to enter the LAX *A lounge without a BP, even if 1) is possible.

OP will almost certainly be allowed to pass conformance at the BR gate in LAX, given that such is IME standard procedure at SFO. Note that, prior to the closing of the SFO BR lounge (due to being taken over by the new UA Polaris lounge), the difference between SFO and LAX was that SFO had its own BR lounge where BR staff could perform conformance.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Steve M
How they accomodated me was to call down to the main check-in counter, read them my passport information, and then have them check me in. I then got a BP "reprint" at the gate prior to boarding. Whether the *A lounge and BR is willing to do such a thing (if they end up not being able to check in directly), I have no idea.
Originally Posted by gengar
1) Is there anyone at the LAX *A lounge who can actually perform the check; and 2) will they allow OP to enter the LAX *A lounge without a BP, even if 1) is possible.
I don't have specific knowledge of BR, but most of the *A carriers have reps at the counter in the *A lounge starting about two hours prior to departure who can check-in pax and print BPs.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I haven't done this with BR specifically, but I've had no problems checking in with TK and CA airside after arriving by AS on a separate ticket. In both cases, the lounge allowed me in on the basis of my ticket confirmation, and the boarding pass was issued at the gate shortly before boarding.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't have specific knowledge of BR, but most of the *A carriers have reps at the counter in the *A lounge starting about two hours prior to departure who can check-in pax and print BPs.
Usually there is at least one BR staff at the counter in the LAX *A lounge whenever I enter the lounge waiting for my flight.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/PM, BAEC GGL, Asiana Diamond Plus(Lifetime), AC *Tangerine
Haven't done it that way to BR at LAX(yet), but I've never had an issue going to OZ and NH from UA, AA, or DL(while they were still in T5/6). There always seems to be a representative from all of the airlines at the lounge about 3 hours before their flights are scheduled to leave. I always have a printout of my itinerary or ticket receipt with me so even if the airline I'm flying on isn't at the lounge yet the dragons let me in with no questions.
Lately when I've checked bags from UA to OZ the OZ rep usually hunts me down when they get there to replace my home printed BP with a card stock one.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 4:39 pm

Wow they finally have an airside walkway...

https://onemileatatime.boardingarea....terminals-lax/

So you just go to gate before boarding and have your doc check.

OP in your case, cant you just OLCI on EVA Air and screenshot the boarding pass?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.