Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA AIR 2018 Outlook/Future Fleet Plans

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Do you happen to know when the SEA-EWR leg was stopped?

Originally Posted by username
1993 - 6/6/1993 TPE-SEA-EWR, I think. LAX was 12/12/1992. They used to pick those dates that were interesting so I remember them.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:12 am

1993 - 6/6/1993 TPE-SEA-EWR, I think. LAX was 12/12/1992. They used to pick those dates that were interesting so I remember them.
doesnt that violate one of the flight freedom rules?
i know CX flies HKG--> Vancouver --> NYC.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by BuBu4
It’s legal as long as you don’t pick anyone up in SEA. QF does it with their LAX-JFK
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Do you happen to know when the SEA-EWR leg was stopped?

Nope. I seem to remember they switched the EWR stop to ANC for a while and switched back. Did they stop the SEA stopover when they moved to 777?
Originally Posted by BuBu4
BR was not allowed to carry new passengers between SEA-EWR but one can stop there. I actually did that both ways and visited the Boeing Plant
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:05 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, ROP Gold, CX Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if EVA has taken delivery of its second 787-9? I see that tomorrow's (7 Nov) BR 891 and BR 851 are both scheduled to be operated by 787-9 .. the flights depart TPE 1 hour 5 mins apart ...
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by flyerfly
Does anyone know if EVA has taken delivery of its second 787-9? I see that tomorrow's (7 Nov) BR 891 and BR 851 are both scheduled to be operated by 787-9 .. the flights depart TPE 1 hour 5 mins apart ...
The 2nd aircraft was delivered on Oct29. It has been undergoing EIS servicing by EGAT for the last few days, including engine swaps.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BR Diamond, ROP Gold, CX Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
thanks hayzel7773 you are the best source of EVA Air info !
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
I seem to recall BR operated to EWR 7 days a weeks but only via SEA 3 days a week. The other days were via ANC. So MD11 on days via SEA and 747-400 on days via ANC. SEA-EWR didn't last that long... I think it went away completely after BR got enough 747 combi to start daily to EWR via ANC.

ANC stop was dropped when BR introduced 777-300ER on the route, which switched to JFK a few years later.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't remember that EWR got to daily but that makes sense - especially since they stopped JFK. I think SEA-EWR lasted a few years (at least 4) since I lived on the east coast back then and remember transitting at SEA more than ANC, if at all (I transitted ANC once for sure on CI).

I don't remember they actually used the M11 for EWR - I thought it was JFK but someone said that was not true. I do remember that when they did SEA-TPE on the MD-11, the plane actually stopped at ANC also. I remember asking about that since I thought the MD-11 could do nonstop.

Also, when they first started TPE-SEA-EWR, it was actually a redeye out of SEA into EWR in the morning and the flight would get back to TPE late afternoon. Then the switched to the evening schedule.

SEA-EWR were frequently pretty empty in all 4 cabins but I guess it was nowhere nearly as bad as LAX-PTY.

I also remember one FA telling me she was doing SEA-EWR-SEA same day turn.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 2:56 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
I don't remember that EWR got to daily but that makes sense - especially since they stopped JFK. I think SEA-EWR lasted a few years (at least 4) since I lived on the east coast back then and remember transitting at SEA more than ANC, if at all (I transitted ANC once for sure on CI).

I don't remember they actually used the M11 for EWR - I thought it was JFK but someone said that was not true. I do remember that when they did SEA-TPE on the MD-11, the plane actually stopped at ANC also. I remember asking about that since I thought the MD-11 could do nonstop.

Also, when they first started TPE-SEA-EWR, it was actually a redeye out of SEA into EWR in the morning and the flight would get back to TPE late afternoon. Then the switched to the evening schedule.

SEA-EWR were frequently pretty empty in all 4 cabins but I guess it was nowhere nearly as bad as LAX-PTY.

I also remember one FA telling me she was doing SEA-EWR-SEA same day turn.
I am pretty sure when BR operated EWR-SEA-TPE and JFK-ANC-TPE are all on 747 combi. As that time I was flying pretty much one time every quarter from 1993-1997. MD-11 was never used to EWR or JFK.

The only MD-11 that was flying in that time frame from Taipei to US was China airlines to SFO.

It it is correct that the crew would do SEA/EWR same day turn. Because crew told me that.

EWR started 4 times a week- then daily- then 4 times a week/thrice a week to JFK- then back to daily.

Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I would always do a layover in SEA before continuing to EWR. It was a bit strange because I still went through customs, but they just gave me a small note saying I was flying domestic. So, the agents just let me waltz through. Seems like a lot could have gone wrong and probably couldn’t happen again after 9/11.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by bzcat
I seem to recall BR operated to EWR 7 days a weeks but only via SEA 3 days a week. The other days were via ANC. So MD11 on days via SEA and 747-400 on days via ANC. SEA-EWR didn't last that long... I think it went away completely after BR got enough 747 combi to start daily to EWR via ANC.

ANC stop was dropped when BR introduced 777-300ER on the route, which switched to JFK a few years later.
This is incorrect.

BR31/32 started with 4 time weekly via Seattle in 1993. It then went daily after more combi was delivered. From May 1995 it was split to TPE-SEA-EWR and TPE-ANC-JFK (35/36). The JFK service stopped sometime in late 1996. 31/32 became daily EWR-SEA-TPE. After dedicated Seattle service was launched (25/26). BR31/32 went to 4 time weekly and then expanded to 5 time weekly (via ANC in return). 31/32 went both direction direct after 77W replaced 747.

So basically when Seattle got its own dedicated service, EWR/JFK went via ANC permanently (but reduction to 4 times a week). I can’t remember how Seattle service got expanded to where it is now.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
I would always do a layover in SEA before continuing to EWR. It was a bit strange because I still went through customs, but they just gave me a small note saying I was flying domestic. So, the agents just let me waltz through. Seems like a lot could have gone wrong and probably couldn’t happen again after 9/11.
I don’t think I cleared customs at Seattle. It always been clear is customs in JFK or EWR. BR did not have 5th freedom rights between SEA and EWR/JFK. If I remember correctly, both direction the JFK/EWR passengers would be quarantined at sealed off area in the terminal (glass door surrounded). People would get off or on at Seattle. But Newark/JFK passenger would always gets locked in the terminal.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I know I couldn’t just fly SEA to EWR—always had to get the full trip to TPE. It was still really convenient for me even though doing a layover was an extra 150 bucks or something.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:04 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.