Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Y/B Economy fare upgrade to Royal Laurel using Infinity Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

I haven't done this type of an upgrade before, but my friends have and we could never find documentation on it.

My friends have purchased Y/B Economy fares from SFO-TPE and have used Infinityland miles to upgrade to PE and RL.

For the PE upgrade from a Y/B Economy it only cost ~10k (maybe it was 12.5k) points (one way)
For the RL upgrade from a Y/B Economy it only cost 30k points (one way)

According to EVA's site (Requirements - EVA Air | America) , for each one-way sector route, I believe the upgrade should have cost as follows:

For PE upgrade from Economy - 25k points (one way)
For RL upgrade from Economy - 60k points (one way)

So is there an undocumented rule that purchasing a more expensive Economy fare (i.e. Y/B) will require less points for upgrading?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
I believe they sometimes have mileage redemption promotions such as reduced mileage requirements for upgrades and/or award tickets for Infinity MileageLands members.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by randywei
Hi,

I haven't done this type of an upgrade before, but my friends have and we could never find documentation on it.

My friends have purchased Y/B Economy fares from SFO-TPE and have used Infinityland miles to upgrade to PE and RL.

For the PE upgrade from a Y/B Economy it only cost ~10k (maybe it was 12.5k) points (one way)
For the RL upgrade from a Y/B Economy it only cost 30k points (one way)

According to EVA's site (Requirements - EVA Air America) , for each one-way sector route, I believe the upgrade should have cost as follows:

For PE upgrade from Economy - 25k points (one way)
For RL upgrade from Economy - 60k points (one way)

So is there an undocumented rule that purchasing a more expensive Economy fare (i.e. Y/B) will require less points for upgrading?
There is a promotion going for for Y/B fares to upgrade to PE/RL. They run these promotions all the time for BR FFs.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 2:55 pm

Does anyone know if there's a way to check if there are upgrade availability prior to purchasing the ticket? I'm looking to fly PE/T class and upgrade to RL from LAX to TPE.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by endy
Does anyone know if there's a way to check if there are upgrade availability prior to purchasing the ticket? I'm looking to fly PE/T class and upgrade to RL from LAX to TPE.
I have found that the easiest way to check on availability is to simply call EVA and ask them if there is an upgrade available for the specific date/flights. They are very helpful. You will need a B/Y class econ fare or a L? (or K, I can't remember which) to be eligible for an upgrade. A T class ticket will not be eligible unless you want to pay cash at the desk when you check in (and it will be a lot).
Old Mar 13, 2018, 11:30 pm

Is it possible to pay cash to upgrade a few weeks out?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mxqisit
Is it possible to pay cash to upgrade a few weeks out?
Yes. They will quote you the fare difference over the phone or you can go into a local office to do it.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by dgun25
I have found that the easiest way to check on availability is to simply call EVA and ask them if there is an upgrade available for the specific date/flights. They are very helpful. You will need a B/Y class econ fare or a L? (or K, I can't remember which) to be eligible for an upgrade. A T class ticket will not be eligible unless you want to pay cash at the desk when you check in (and it will be a lot).
You need to have an existing ticket for them to check. A good way to look is Expertflyer.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
You need to have an existing ticket for them to check. A good way to look is Expertflyer.
I have called them before and politely asked if BR flights (X,Y,Z) had availability for upgrade with Infinity Miles for a Y/B class ticket without purchasing a ticket and they were able to tell me. Maybe I got lucky.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: EVA Diamond, Hilton Gold, National Exec
PE T-class is upgradeable to RL using EVA IML miles. However, usually you are put on waiting list since T-class is one of the last one to clear upgrade after K,L,M,Y class fares. I normally clear my T-class to RL 7-10 days before departure. Someone with no status was upgraded day before departure.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by asiadxer
PE T-class is upgradeable to RL using EVA IML miles. However, usually you are put on waiting list since T-class is one of the last one to clear upgrade after K,L,M,Y class fares. I normally clear my T-class to RL 7-10 days before departure. Someone with no status was upgraded day before departure.
Thanks, I can confirm that they were able to check for me by calling their office. Sadly, there are only waitlists for the dates I want. Since I don't have status with Eva, would you say the chances of my T-class ticket clearing close to 0? (4/18 BR11). The agent said that there are spaces on the TPE-LAX leg for upgrades, should I just take that? Or test my luck on the LAX-TPE leg?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Thanks, I can confirm that they were able to check for me by calling their office. Sadly, there are only waitlists for the dates I want. Since I don't have status with Eva, would you say the chances of my T-class ticket clearing close to 0? (4/18 BR11). The agent said that there are spaces on the TPE-LAX leg for upgrades, should I just take that? Or test my luck on the LAX-TPE leg?
I do not have visibility into upgrade space but BR5 4/18 has an award biz seat available which means it is likely to have upgrades available too. If BR5 would work instead of BR11 and it has upgrade space (check with BR) I would consider switching flights to get a confirmed upgrade.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I do not have visibility into upgrade space but BR5 4/18 has an award biz seat available which means it is likely to have upgrades available too. If BR5 would work instead of BR11 and it has upgrade space (check with BR) I would consider switching flights to get a confirmed upgrade.
Wow, I just booked my flight this afternoon. Looks like will be a charge if I try to switch my flights.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Wow, I just booked my flight this afternoon. Looks like will be a charge if I try to switch my flights.
PE to RL upgrades are currently all wait list for 18APR LAXTPE flights.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 12:27 pm

Just wanted to give an update that both my wife and I cleared the waitlist today. Thanks for all the help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.