Least worst seats in 10-abreast Y?

Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Least worst seats in 10-abreast Y?

I feel pretty stupid because I went with a more expensive fare on EVA because I thought it was 9 seats across, but now I find out it's 10. Does anyone know which seats the AVODs are under in this formation? Is there a way for me to figure out where the windows are? I'm hoping to get the opportunity to lean against the wall and pretend I'm somewhere else.

I'm on BR17 and the only seats available are in rows 51, 52, and 53, if that matters.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

I will answer my own question after flying this configuration with EVA twice. They are all pretty terrible and feel cramped. These flights are worth it for a $600 ticket, but for $1300 I think I could have done better elsewhere, especially because the flights were fully booked both ways so really felt like a cattle car for a 13-hour flight. Ten across is too much for a 5-star airline (in my grumpy opinion). Plus a 45-minute wait to go through security during the transfer in Tapei.

Last edited by giblet; Feb 19, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by giblet
I will answer my own question after flying this configuration with EVA twice. They are all pretty terrible and feel cramped. These flights are worth it for a $600 ticket, but for $1300 I think I could have done better elsewhere, especially because the flights were fully booked both ways so really felt like a cattle car for a 13-hour flight. Ten across is too much for a 5-star airline (in my grumpy opinion), and even the premium economy seats are 10 across. Plus a 45-minute wait to go through security during the transfer in Tapei.
PE is 8-abreast in a 2-4-2 configuration.

10-abreast is unfortunately the industry standard nowadays.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
PE is 8-abreast in a 2-4-2 configuration.
Sorry, you're right. I edited my post.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
I will answer my own question after flying this configuration with EVA twice. They are all pretty terrible and feel cramped. These flights are worth it for a $600 ticket, but for $1300 I think I could have done better elsewhere, especially because the flights were fully booked both ways so really felt like a cattle car for a 13-hour flight. Ten across is too much for a 5-star airline (in my grumpy opinion). Plus a 45-minute wait to go through security during the transfer in Tapei.
You get what you pay for. CX, SQ and such are all going 10 across.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
You get what you pay for. CX, SQ and such are all going 10 across.
I'm not sure what you mean when you say "you get what you pay for." It seems like many of the more expensive premium airlines are going 10 across, but some of the less expensive ones are not. So how are you getting what you pay for with EVA? The food? The limited selection of English-language movies?

On this route there are several airlines with 9-across seating and less expensive tickets, so I'm not sure if ticket price really correlates here. Or maybe it was just a swipe at people who stoop to flying in economy.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:48 pm

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "you get what you pay for." It seems like many of the more expensive premium airlines are going 10 across, but some of the less expensive ones are not. So how are you getting what you pay for with EVA? The food? The limited selection of English-language movies?

On this route there are several airlines with 9-across seating and less expensive tickets, so I'm not sure if ticket price really correlates here. Or maybe it was just a swipe at people who stoop to flying in economy.
On SFO-TPE, there are CI, BR, UA nonstop and for those connecting: CZ, MU, NH, JL, CX, and KE.(All these serve SFO with 777)
10-abreast: CI, BR, UA, NH, MU
9-abreast: CX(soon to be 10), JL(requires overnight in TOY so not ideal), KE, CZ

Looking at random days in March, all airlines(9 or 10) are around $800(Only CI is running a special at 650) so looks like they are really gouging at the Y pax.

However, I think the previous poster may have been referring to "you get what you pay for" as in you pay for Y cabin, you get Y cabin service. You pay for PE, you get a PE level and so on.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Looking at random days in March, all airlines(9 or 10) are around $800(Only CI is running a special at 650) so looks like they are really gouging at the Y pax.

However, I think the previous poster may have been referring to "you get what you pay for" as in you pay for Y cabin, you get Y cabin service. You pay for PE, you get a PE level and so on.
I was only connecting in TPE because I was flying EVA, I usually fly out of BKK so there are more airline options. I paid $1300 for this ticket and although I am glad I got to where I was going in one piece, it wasn't good value. If I were flying BKK-SFO, I could spend the same $1300 on EVA for a PE seat. But flying BKK-SFO on the same dates is nearly $2000 for PE.

But yes, I understand the common feeling that Y passengers, no matter how much they pay, deserve whatever new low the airlines can stoop to. And I guess those flying ex-Asia "get what they pay for" even more emphatically than those based in the US or UK.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:47 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Correct. I don't understand the rationale of Y passengers complaining about the ever decreasing lack of space, and service, when their fares have dropped dramatically in the last 10 years.

If Y is too uncomfortable for you, AND you acknowledge the fare is only $600, then I really don't understand the point of the post. Clearly the original poster appreciates how cheap it was to fly TPAC, but you get what you pay for. Something about a cake and eating it too.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Correct. I don't understand the rationale of Y passengers complaining about the ever decreasing lack of space, and service, when their fares have dropped dramatically in the last 10 years.

If Y is too uncomfortable for you, AND you acknowledge the fare is only $600, then I really don't understand the point of the post. Clearly the original poster appreciates how cheap it was to fly TPAC, but you get what you pay for. Something about a cake and eating it too.
You misunderstood my original post and didn't read the follow-up post. I (the OP) paid $1300 for a ticket in Y, not $600.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:05 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
You misunderstood my original post and didn't read the follow-up post. I (the OP) paid $1300 for a ticket in Y, not $600.
$1300 is pretty expensive. Was it a Y/B/K fare? If so, you should consider spending a small amount of Aeroplan miles (25k) to upgrade directly to Royal Laurel next time.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave510
$1300 is pretty expensive. Was it a Y/B/K fare? If so, you should consider spending a small amount of Aeroplan miles (25k) to upgrade directly to Royal Laurel next time.
One way was B, the other was not. No upgrades were available (I tried!). Flights ex-Asia are just more expensive than flights ex-US/UK (or should I say, the cake that Y passengers get to have, and eat, too, is more expensive).
Old Feb 22, 2018, 8:41 pm

$1300 for Y is really high...did you book last minute?

Unfortunate that BR has decided to create a 10-abreast subfleet but it is the industry standard nowadays.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

I booked 18 days in advance, so could have given it more time. All of the tickets for the second week of Feb were expensive. I was also flying ex-PNH and that makes it slightly more expensive (than BKK, say). I don't think these ones usually get below $1000.

I live in a city that is poorly served by the alliance airlines. To get from REP to SFO in just two flight, many 10-abreast seats cost more than $2000. So yeah, I chafe at the "you get what you pay for" comment because while in theory that is true, in reality it's not without about a million caveats. I appreciate some of the airlines that, while having added 10-across seating, have also upgraded their entertainment options. BR has a limited movie selection, the food is not great, and on my flights anyway, the staff seemed harried and overworked. As much as I hate flying these cramped long-haul flights, the flight attendants don't seem to be enjoying it either. I think the increased capacity has made their jobs a lot more unpleasant.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:45 am

I booked 18 days in advance, so could have given it more time. All of the tickets for the second week of Feb were expensive. I was also flying ex-PNH and that makes it slightly more expensive (than BKK, say). I don't think these ones usually get below $1000.

I live in a city that is poorly served by the alliance airlines. To get from REP to SFO in just two flight, many 10-abreast seats cost more than $2000. So yeah, I chafe at the "you get what you pay for" comment because while in theory that is true, in reality it's not without about a million caveats. I appreciate some of the airlines that, while having added 10-across seating, have also upgraded their entertainment options. BR has a limited movie selection, the food is not great, and on my flights anyway, the staff seemed harried and overworked. As much as I hate flying these cramped long-haul flights, the flight attendants don't seem to be enjoying it either. I think the increased capacity has made their jobs a lot more unpleasant.
The seond week of February this year was Chinese New Years, so the prices are going to be extremely high in and out of Tpe, higher than any other time of the year!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.