Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by coolfish1103
One of the few arguments I got from another board is..

1. CI has $5 per diem now, BR has $3 (but... wait BR got more year end bonus and most of CI's one-stop flights were cut)
2. It does not violate the rules but the FAs think it's too short. FAs believe they are the one who is flying and you cannot understand their situation cause you are not working on the plane (though we work once we are off the plane, like we don't know jet lag does not get any better the longer you stay at another place once you return).
3. Other airlines has nothing to do with us, we believe the rule itself is too short so it is too short (though I am unsure why they don't go complain with the CAA if that's the case, and now other airlines cannot be used to compare when it's not in their favor).
4. Not just PEK, many flights were named. They will tell you pay us UA benefits and $ and we will talk about UA duty hours (so is it really a health issue?).

Basically anything not going their way they tell you to not compare or you don't understand. I give up, lol.
1. The way BR counts per diem is different too(IIRC). Per diem for BR starts the moment the trip starts(so basically when they are in TPE)[I don't get why they do this...perhaps they have changed] while CI only starts to count when they hit the ground at the outstation. They were rather unhappy with the year-end bonus(BR 4 months, CI 2.5 equiv.) but they have zero say in that.
2. They don't like it because all other North America flights do not run on that schedule.
For example...for those on BR6(TPE-LAX Morning flight).
The schedule is BR6 on Sunday morning...arriving LAX time Sunday Morning
Then you get Sunday and Monday off...you depart Monday midnight on BR11/15.
The 4x week made the schedule very awkward, hence mgmt. decision to do a 3 day.
3. Ironic...at the beginning, they actually used CX as a "model airline" and got the CX FAs to put out a poster of support for them
4. Strawberry soldiers...

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
It's nice that your wife is a retired FA. The working conditions today are quite different than what they were 25 years ago when she first started. Layovers for crews were longer, there was less pax density on flights, passengers did not attack FAs etc. The old B767 and B747 did not have 10 across seating did it? At the end of her career, she had the seniority to avoid the difficult conditions that the younger FAs encounter today and that's part of the struggle the FAs have.
Yea...nope. BR used to do same day turns on some Southeast Asia flights like BKK, SIN, KUL etc. and crews got the extra day layover but one day shorter in DO once in TPE. Post-2008, they gave them a choice of 2 days off in TPE with one day layover or the other way around. Crew chose 2 days off in TPE.
Pax density...a difference of 10-30 pax(seriously?). On the 77B, the crew count is now 14-16(sometimes even more) people(used to be 12-15). On longer flights, they dispatch an extra 1-3 FAs(some RL seats become crew rest). 77A/M have maintained the same crew count from when 777s were introduced. They increased the # of crew rest(they originally went with a crew rest in the Door 4 area that had 5 beds and one recliner) but they switched to a crew rest with 8 beds in the rear. And EVA doesn't play seniority like UA or AA or DL, everything is based off your performance. There is no schedule bidding and what not...you get what you get(you can flight request) and if you want any changes, find a swap(unless you previously arranged and were approved for a certain schedule because you want to utilize a continuous schedule of DO during some month). And the 747s were 10-abreast!
And pax attacked FAs??? Is this a new evolution in BR pax? When did it start?
longtimeflyin likes this.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Feb 21, 2018 at 8:36 pm
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
1. The way BR counts per diem is different too(IIRC). Per diem for BR starts the moment the trip starts(so basically when they are in TPE)[I don't get why they do this...perhaps they have changed] while CI only starts to count when they hit the ground at the outstation. They were rather unhappy with the year-end bonus(BR 4 months, CI 2.5 equiv.) but they have zero say in that.
3. Ironic...at the beginning, they actually used CX as a "model airline" and got the CX FAs to put out a poster of support for them
CI per diem starts when the plane pushes back from the boarding gate, so they are pretty much similar. I think you are talking about CX?

And the 747s were 10-abreast!
And pax attacked FAs??? Is this a new evolution in BR pax? When did it start?
I am not sure what is he talking about. BR's 744s had 10 abreast in economy...
I think the question goes.. which airlines 747-400 since BR operated did not have 10 abreast in economy?
hayzel7773 and longtimeflyin like this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
CI per diem starts when the plane pushes back from the boarding gate, so they are pretty much similar. I think you are talking about CX?
I stand corrected. BR FAs get other benefits that CI FAs don't get such as free meals at Company HQ if they want etc. but they don't add much value to the job.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
If BR wants to get paid at UA level. Then they better pay taxes at US and CA rates.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by krispykrme
If BR wants to get paid at UA level. Then they better pay taxes at US and CA rates.
You would be a bit surprised at the income tax rate in Taiwan actually.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Overall income tax burden in Taiwan is high, but it is heavily progressive and with very limited deductions. At lower-to-moderate income levels, effective tax rates are much higher in CA (e.g., ~$40k annual income, CA resident can expect ~21% effective tax rate, whereas in Taiwan it is only ~11%). Especially relative to PPI, the difference is quite significant.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:51 pm

Trust me. I know more about Taiwan Tax then you know.

Because I am also paying taxes in Taiwan.

My tax in CA- Federal is over 37%, CA is 10%. Yeah Taiwan tax will never come close to that.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended

Trust me. I know more about Taiwan Tax then you know.

Because I am also paying taxes in Taiwan.

My tax in CA- Federal is over 37%, CA is 10%. Yeah Taiwan tax will never come close to that.
There is no income tax bracket in Taiwan at 10%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...rogressive_tax

While I am not as well versed in the Taiwanese tax system, my wife is, as she is Taiwanese Canadian and file taxes in both countries, as do two of my children.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:32 am

There is no income tax bracket in Taiwan at 10%.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...rogressive_tax

While I am not as well versed in the Taiwanese tax system, my wife is, as she is Taiwanese Canadian and file taxes in both countries, as do two of my children.
CA means California state tax.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Consistency ever since Chang left has gone downhill - very disappointed. Their crews are starting to get more and more entitled, but what can you do. I hope the union gets abolished and EVA to return to the old days.
Ever since he became sick it's been bad and 0 consistency.

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
management vs workers in the public sphere.... people will usually sympathize with the workers, assuming they've been bullied by big greedy corporation........ same story, theme in different languages across the world.

so I don’t support EVA cabin crew. There are a lot more labor issues in taiwan, but BR crew isn’t one of them.
I don't sympathize at all for the crew either. They complain way too much in every aspect. If you don't believe me, check there social media profiles. IMO if you work for a company that is in the service business, it's not a good idea going on social media voicing your hate for annoying PAX, etc.
You get paid to do a job, if you don't like it, go somewhere else.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
You mean when he died?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Last I checked he had passed away, but yes, this lack of consistency has me shifting my business to Cathay Pacific when I can. Cathay may have dirtier planes than before, and if you fly with them enough you can see where they have started to reduce their service over the last 5 or so years, but at least the crew are consistent. My spend in 2018 will be far less with BR this year than with Cathay.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
You mean when he died?
Last I checked he had passed away, but yes, this lack of consistency has me shifting my business to Cathay Pacific when I can. Cathay may have dirtier planes than before, and if you fly with them enough you can see where they have started to reduce their service over the last 5 or so years, but at least the crew are consistent. My spend in 2018 will be far less with BR this year than with Cathay.
Not bad I mean since he's been sick. Meaning years before his death? If he was sick.....

I agree. Even though EVA has the better flight time, I still fly NH > BR. Certainly can't really compare as they are not apples to apples. NH is far superior night and day compared to BR. Infact,CA outbound seems more favorable to me than BR now.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 11:33 pm

Not bad I mean since he's been sick. Meaning years before his death? If he was sick.....

I agree. Even though EVA has the better flight time, I still fly NH > BR. Certainly can't really compare as they are not apples to apples. NH is far superior night and day compared to BR. Infact,CA outbound seems more favorable to me than BR now.
I rarely flew NH.

But last three trips (NRT-SIN, SIN-HND, NRT-LAX). All in J. I think the catering is bad. The attendant services on the other hand are excellent. But I don’t like the stagger J seat NH has. The cushion is too thin. I like BR seats much better.

Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:54 am
Suspended

I rarely flew NH.

But last three trips (NRT-SIN, SIN-HND, NRT-LAX). All in J. I think the catering is bad. The attendant services on the other hand are excellent. But I don’t like the stagger J seat NH has. The cushion is too thin. I like BR seats much better.

Same. Also Japanese airlines are too warm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.