Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
EVA released a really nasty statement today, condemning the sit-in and saying that they were disruptive to nearby businesses. They were also protesting at a place unrelated to the airline and therefore, the company was unable to come out to negotiate. They were also disruptive to society as a whole as they blocked the sidewalk and road and caused workers to have issues when arriving and departing on Evergreen busses.

They also said that throughout prior negotiations, the union has had no negotiating room. They want "take all or nothing" and that is not negotiating in good faith. The call on the union to negotiate in good faith and be rational in their demands.

Mgmt. will not roll back flights that are more than legal AND are comparable to other carriers(unlike what TFAU claims). They are only doing this because these are the ones that they find tiring(lots of needy pax, short flight time).
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
EVA released a really nasty statement today, condemning the sit-in and saying that they were disruptive to nearby businesses. They were also protesting at a place unrelated to the airline and therefore, the company was unable to come out to negotiate. They were also disruptive to society as a whole as they blocked the sidewalk and road and caused workers to have issues when arriving and departing on Evergreen busses.

They also said that throughout prior negotiations, the union has had no negotiating room. They want "take all or nothing" and that is not negotiating in good faith. The call on the union to negotiate in good faith and be rational in their demands.

Mgmt. will not roll back flights that are more than legal AND are comparable to other carriers(unlike what TFAU claims). They are only doing this because these are the ones that they find tiring(lots of needy pax, short flight time).
Maybe the pax should just let the tired FAs sit in their seats and we can serve them food and drinks instead.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC

I'm with EVA Management on this. This is a slippery slope that the airline is heading down and it's only a matter of time until they behave like the legacy carriers do in North America.
hayzel7773 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
I'm with EVA Management on this. This is a slippery slope that the airline is heading down and it's only a matter of time until they behave like the legacy carriers do in North America.
In this Chinese interview, the union rep was shocked when she learned from the show host that SFO flights are once every six month on avg for the 4600 FAs(including reserves). Previously, they claimed that reserves would not count towards the 1 per 6 months.

In addition, she explained why they were so opposed to SFO 3-day(starts around 30:00 if you can understand Chinese). According to her, the SFO route is very tiring for FAs. She said the 4-5 day trips were already killers because the load factor is very high in all cabins and there are a lot of "Gui Bing", otherwise known as Infinity Mileageland Diamond and Gold card members.

They also said that the arrival time is during the hotels checkout so the outside noise is actually quite a bit(housekeeping etc.).

Talk about lazy...
longtimeflyin likes this.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jan 23, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 12:13 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA

I am unsure how is that nasty?

Technically the union should protest against the CAA not EVA if EVA is well within the rules.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
There are several parties that can be blamed for this mess.

1. CI - the strike of CI FAs years ago was a success. So it showed how BR FAs need to do.

2. UA - UA canceled HKG-SGN. So it forced the previous SFO-HKG-SGN pax to switch to NH (SFO-NRT-SGN) or BR (SFO-TPE-SGN).

Also, SFO is an elite heavy hub (to UA as well as other airlines). So I am not surprised the claim by the FAU.

However - despite those, BR FAs lack excuses. Specifically, I believe the BR FAs ultimate goal is to force BR to match UA FA compensation, which is significantly higher.

I don't see why BR will compromise, especially given the new conservative management that know nothing about the industry.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
I am unsure how is that nasty?

Technically the union should protest against the CAA not EVA if EVA is well within the rules.
This is in comparison to previous statements(around 15) that they have released responding to the unions.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by garykung

1. CI - the strike of CI FAs years ago was a success. So it showed how BR FAs need to do.

2. UA - UA canceled HKG-SGN. So it forced the previous SFO-HKG-SGN pax to switch to NH (SFO-NRT-SGN) or BR (SFO-TPE-SGN).

Also, SFO is an elite heavy hub (to UA as well as other airlines). So I am not surprised the claim by the FAU.

However - despite those, BR FAs lack excuses. Specifically, I believe the BR FAs ultimate goal is to force BR to match UA FA compensation, which is significantly higher.

I don't see why BR will compromise, especially given the new conservative management that know nothing about the industry.
New mgmt does not know anything about the airline industry?!?!?!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by garykung

1. It's the same union. Whatever actually got done was due to politics, I hardly see it can be replicated to EVA when it's not owned by the government plus what happened 1.5 years ago.

2. I am unsure how many pax actually went to EVA. UA will definitely send all their pax to ANA if possible with their joint venture (plus they got a pacific share).

Apparently the FAs don't like elite heavy. They think the VIPs are too demanding.

Match UA compensation? I highly doubt that's possible when one is based in US and the other is in Taiwan with different price index. They are probably trying to match that $5 per diem off of EVA that CAL gave. The new management may be conservative, but they are definitely far from knowing nothing about the industry (that's CAL when Ho came up, which he gave in 1.5 years ago and gave the union the thought of they can demand anything anytime, though he cut back later after the strike is over).

This is in comparison to previous statements(around 15) that they have released responding to the unions.
I am still unsure about what's nasty? More like extremely disappointed?
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Plat
In this Chinese interview, the union rep was shocked when she learned from the show host that SFO flights are once every six month on avg for the 4600 FAs(including reserves). Previously, they claimed that reserves would not count towards the 1 per 6 months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88258tLJX8&t=1738s
In addition, she explained why they were so opposed to SFO 3-day(starts around 30:00 if you can understand Chinese). According to her, the SFO route is very tiring for FAs. She said the 4-5 day trips were already killers because the load factor is very high in all cabins and there are a lot of "Gui Bing", otherwise known as Infinity Mileageland Diamond and Gold card members.

They also said that the arrival time is during the hotels checkout so the outside noise is actually quite a bit(housekeeping etc.).

Talk about lazy...
I don't understand what this FA was complaining about on public TV. I have to wonder why she chose to be a flight attendant. (Or even chose to work at all.)

Perhaps FAs believe they deserve longer rest period once they land in SFO. However, I have to laugh at the following reasons:

SFO flights too full.
Too many Gold members on the flight.
Pilots have longer rest period. FAs should be the same.
Noise in hotel.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:09 pm

1. It's the same union. Whatever actually got done was due to politics, I hardly see it can be replicated to EVA when it's not owned by the government plus what happened 1.5 years ago.

2. I am unsure how many pax actually went to EVA. UA will definitely send all their pax to ANA if possible with their joint venture (plus they got a pacific share).

Apparently the FAs don't like elite heavy. They think the VIPs are too demanding.

Match UA compensation? I highly doubt that's possible when one is based in US and the other is in Taiwan with different price index. They are probably trying to match that $5 per diem off of EVA that CAL gave. The new management may be conservative, but they are definitely far from knowing nothing about the industry (that's CAL when Ho came up, which he gave in 1.5 years ago and gave the union the thought of they can demand anything anytime, though he cut back later after the strike is over).

I guess...but they generally have never released statements calling FAs noisy and saying they are not negotiating rationally.

No way the govt lets them bully BR. That would send the wrong message to private companies in Taiwan.

Actually, the flight attendants were complaining that the govt came and shut down the road lights for just one block of the road, that one block happened to be the one they were occupying. Evergreen Marine also shut everything off and it became pretty dark at night. They weren't very happy with the govt for that.
You can see the lights on and off in the pic below:
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Flight attendants are surprised that they have to deal with jet lag and landing in a time zone that isn't theirs?

EVA Air is being more of a disappointment every day. My most recent flight on BR35 was atrocious, although BR215 (I believe) from Taipei to Singapore was one of the best crews on EVA I've flown with.

Consistency ever since Chang left has gone downhill - very disappointed. Their crews are starting to get more and more entitled, but what can you do. I hope the union gets abolished and EVA to return to the old days.

While I don't speak Mandarin (or understand much), I showed the video upthread to my wife (who is Taiwanese). She said "well, they're just flight attendants, maybe someone should remind them". I was a bit taken back by the statement, but then she explained to me that they do get plenty of rest given the tight turn around, and it's not like they need the rest that pilots need, and it's not like dealing with jet lag is something that is an uncommon task for flight attendants. She does have a point, I guess. (I have to side with her. Happy wife, happy life)
coolfish1103 and hayzel7773 like this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Flight attendants are surprised that they have to deal with jet lag and landing in a time zone that isn't theirs?

EVA Air is being more of a disappointment every day. My most recent flight on BR35 was atrocious, although BR215 (I believe) from Taipei to Singapore was one of the best crews on EVA I've flown with.

Consistency ever since Chang left has gone downhill - very disappointed. Their crews are starting to get more and more entitled, but what can you do. I hope the union gets abolished and EVA to return to the old days.

While I don't speak Mandarin (or understand much), I showed the video upthread to my wife (who is Taiwanese). She said "well, they're just flight attendants, maybe someone should remind them". I was a bit taken back by the statement, but then she explained to me that they do get plenty of rest given the tight turn around, and it's not like they need the rest that pilots need, and it's not like dealing with jet lag is something that is an uncommon task for flight attendants. She does have a point, I guess. (I have to side with her. Happy wife, happy life)
Totally agree. We could see some very poor labor relations and poor service for awhile while all this plays out. I wouldn't be surprised if BR somehow finds something that cripples the union.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388
I don't understand what this FA was complaining about on public TV. I have to wonder why she chose to be a flight attendant. (Or even chose to work at all.)

Perhaps FAs believe they deserve longer rest period once they land in SFO. However, I have to laugh at the following reasons:

SFO flights too full.
Too many Gold members on the flight.
Pilots have longer rest period. FAs should be the same.
Noise in hotel.
Many Taiwanese who saw that news panel were disappointed. I am unsure why they want to be a FA as well... maybe to hop on a bandwagon of a big company's prince and get married away?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
It is not about how I think, but the FAU thinks. If they think last time was a success, they would try the same trick to force BR to compromise.

I am not sure either. But how come BR can fill up 2-3 B77W each week? This is the only plausible explanation.

I thought service was based on cabins, not status. Was I wrong?

New mgmt does not know anything about the airline industry?!?!?!
The new management may be conservative, but they are definitely far from knowing nothing about the industry (that's CAL when Ho came up, which he gave in 1.5 years ago and gave the union the thought of they can demand anything anytime, though he cut back later after the strike is over).

Not meant to divert the focus to the family - the new CEO is definitely not knowing enough than the previous one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.