Eva de-icing incident at YYZ

Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Eva de-icing incident at YYZ

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...to-a-pole.html
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Aircraft involved is B-16718, the same aircraft that was involved with the CAT incident back on 11/22.
Pax are currently staying at Crowne Plaza Toronto.
Damage is significant. It looks like the captain used the wrong taxi-line and was not centerline after deicing.

However, at no point did the aircraft "evacuate".

Last edited by hayzel7773; Dec 2, 2017 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Oh boy.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
You guys should listen to tower recording.

The cockpit crew didn’t even see the light. The tower told EVA crew to stop and told them they hit the light pole. The crew responded by we didn’t feel like we hit a pole.

Totally wasn’t paying attention to surround environment.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Originally Posted by krispykrme
You guys should listen to tower recording.

The cockpit crew didn’t even see the light. The tower told EVA crew to stop and told them they hit the light pole. The crew responded by we didn’t feel like we hit a pole.

Totally wasn’t paying attention to surround environment.
I’m not sure if you’d feel anything hitting a pole with a 777. A bit like driving a car into a branch.

I do wonder if the crew mean “we thought it was much larger”, “we’ve hit poles before and thought this was different” or just phrased it badly.

Seems a lack of detail given this occurred 14h ago. Does EVA have that few planes or willingness to ship customers off elsewhere?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
Seems a lack of detail given this occurred 14h ago. Does EVA have that few planes or willingness to ship customers off elsewhere?
last time my cousin flew eva from SFO, they had a mechanical issue and then flight crew time out, they were offered to be put on the next EVA flight in 24 hours.
EVA ended up putting her onto a UA flight since she was trying to make our grandma's funeral.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by jc94
I’m not sure if you’d feel anything hitting a pole with a 777. A bit like driving a car into a branch.

I do wonder if the crew mean “we thought it was much larger”, “we’ve hit poles before and thought this was different” or just phrased it badly.

EVA offered a 10am AC flight from YYZ-YVR and connecting onto TPE on AC. They also offered a CX flight or a seat on tonight's flight from YYZ. In order to facilitate the extra pax, the aircraft bound for YYZ was swapped with SFO and a 353 seater was sent instead of a 333 seater.

Flight had 238 pax+2 infants. EVA has spare planes though I find it highly unlikely they'll send one. The pilots can't fly until TSB has interviewed them(They said they'll investigate on Monday) and I'm sure the company does not want them flying either. These pilots are about to face their worst nightmare when they arrive in TPE.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh gee. Now some people in Taiwan are going to think this plane is jinxed.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by username
Oh gee. Now some people in Taiwan are going to think this plane is jinxed.
haha, i think YYZ is jinxed. didnt a truck hit the wing a few months ago? :P
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
haha, i think YYZ is jinxed. didnt a truck hit the wing a few months ago? :P
Yes, a fuel truck collided with B-16725’s engine.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

The English skills of the flight crew are appalling. I miss the expat pilots already.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzDz5yxyBEE

The English skills of the flight crew are appalling. I miss the expat pilots already.
They have more expats then before now. However, most are FO's and rarely any of them make captain.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
They have more expats then before now. However, most are FO's and rarely any of them make captain.
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Do you mean back in the day? Yes, back in the day EVA had a bunch of expat pilots, especially after 9/11. Are you saying there are a lot of expat pilots these days, or were you referring to back in the day?

I've always held BR above CI, etc because of English proficiency. It doesn't appear that BR pilots have a solid understanding of the English language anymore.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly. Do you mean back in the day? Yes, back in the day EVA had a bunch of expat pilots, especially after 9/11. Are you saying there are a lot of expat pilots these days, or were you referring to back in the day?

I've always held BR above CI, etc because of English proficiency. It doesn't appear that BR pilots have a solid understanding of the English language anymore.
Nowadays. In the last couple years, there has been a massive hiring frenzy of expats. However, most expats leave after their bond is up because the pay/benefits/culture(immense pressure not to screw up from managers) is not as good compared to US/European carriers and EVA's upgrade system for Captain counts expat experience years at 1 year=0.5 years while locals have 1-to-1 for captain seat upgrade.

Initial training for expats also receives a multitude of complaints. They claim it is too rigorous. EVA has 19 flight sim sessions after they hire you before they will let you move to the line.
There are also stories of harsh punishments handed down from their TRB i.e. Captains being demoted for a go-around initiated when the FO was flying etc.
EVA's TRBs are brutal, they will punish you for any small thing out of line from the SOP.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Dec 5, 2017 at 8:29 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
i wonder how much to fix the wing

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.