Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taiwan E-Gate / Global Entry

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Not quite actually. My sons have to apply for an exit permit every time before we go to Taiwan despite having an oversees stamp. They are also required by law to use their Taiwanese passport.
Without giving immigration advice, I would suggest you follow up on the exit permit not being required each time. The only time I would think you would want to use your TWN passport is to maintain household registry and national insurance.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by longtimeflyin
Not quite actually. My sons have to apply for an exit permit every time before we go to Taiwan despite having an oversees stamp. They are also required by law to use their Taiwanese passport.

Any idea on where we would go to inquire about using the egates at TPE?
You can do it at the airport, at the counter where they exit stamp for military service exemption for overseas citizens. The only thing is I don’t think exiting taiwan e-gate works because customs has to check for that stamp. There is also a multiple entry/exit document that you can apply for so that you don’t have to get a stamp every time.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC
Originally Posted by jackson112233
You can do it at the airport, at the counter where they exit stamp for military service exemption for overseas citizens. The only thing is I don’t think exiting taiwan e-gate works because customs has to check for that stamp. There is also a multiple entry/exit document that you can apply for so that you don’t have to get a stamp every time.
My apologies for the mixup of terminology here. Yes, my sons have that document for multiple entry/exit, but it's only valid for a period of 3-6 months if I recall correctly. They have been told they explicitly need to use their Taiwanese passports.Customs does manually look at that document everything so I think you're right in that the egate program would not work for them.

Sorry to derail the thread, thank you both for your help
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I just used e-Gate a second time. I had a conversation with the attendant because he was asking for my ARC - I don't have one. I told him, "I am registered with e-Gate for Global Entry," and he seemed to understand. I feel as though I might have to carry my GE card for trips to Taiwan, but perhaps there will be fewer situations of, "You're in the wrong line," as more people enroll.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Titanium+LTG
Anyone finding the e-Gate machines very finicky for US Passports?
So far I'm 0 for 2 for successful scans and the immigration staff are 1 for 2.

The staff do note that the US Passports are aligned differently from the Taiwanese ones, but I've yet to get a successful scan, getting errors like "UV check failed" or something to that extent.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by PaclantFlyer
Anyone finding the e-Gate machines very finicky for US Passports?
So far I'm 0 for 2 for successful scans and the immigration staff are 1 for 2.

The staff do note that the US Passports are aligned differently from the Taiwanese ones, but I've yet to get a successful scan, getting errors like "UV check failed" or something to that extent.
There is a red light that's offset from the edge of the reader on the left side. Align the edge of your passport with that light. Do not place it flush against the edge of the reader. This was a best practice that the person helping me enroll told me. I'm 4/4 following this advice.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by Majuki; Jan 6, 2018 at 2:11 pm
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: FB Gold
I successfully signed up for the eGate yesterday arriving into T1 with CX. Due to the weather disruptions on my flight schedule, I ended up trying to enroll on a day before my scheduled appt. No problems, they found me in the system and had me signed up. Didn't even ask to see my NEXUS card.

US passport worked the first time I inserted into the eGate reader.. Didn't find it hard to read at all.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:02 am

Programs: A3*G, Marriott Titanium+LTG
Originally Posted by Majuki
There is a red light that's offset from the edge of the reader on the left side. Align the edge of your passport with that light. Do not place it flush against the edge of the reader. This was a best practice that the person helping me enroll told me. I'm 4/4 following this advice.
That definitely did the trick! I'm surprised the interviewer didn't have more specific guidance about aligning the passport other than it needs to be more in the middle (I even did the interview in Chinese!).

I compared my US passport with a Taiwanese Passport and found that the machine-readable section is definitely centered differently.
Maybe the newer US passports have a properly centered machine-readable section?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mlin32
I successfully signed up for the eGate yesterday arriving into T1 with CX. Due to the weather disruptions on my flight schedule, I ended up trying to enroll on a day before my scheduled appt. No problems, they found me in the system and had me signed up. Didn't even ask to see my NEXUS card.

US passport worked the first time I inserted into the eGate reader.. Didn't find it hard to read at all.
It's good to know there is some flexibility in the appointment scheduling. I arrived the first thing in the morning, which was during my scheduled appointment window, and there was nobody there. I believe ARC/APRC holders or ROC passport holders can enroll on the spot without an appointment, so I never really understood the need for an appointment for people for this program other than the enrollment takes a little longer.

That definitely did the trick! I'm surprised the interviewer didn't have more specific guidance about aligning the passport other than it needs to be more in the middle (I even did the interview in Chinese!).

I compared my US passport with a Taiwanese Passport and found that the machine-readable section is definitely centered differently.
I'm glad to know that worked! I'm a bit surprised that the readers have an issue with alignment since one would assume they'd be able to find the machine readable part as long as it's somewhere on the reader.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:21 pm

E-Gate Expiration?

Hi all,

I am having trouble finding exactly when the e-Gate membership expires. From a previous thread, I believe it expires with your current U.S. Passport expiration date.
Can someone confirm?
Thank you!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by pchen0
Hi all,

I am having trouble finding exactly when the e-Gate membership expires. From a previous thread, I believe it expires with your current U.S. Passport expiration date.
Can someone confirm?
Thank you!
Taiwan foreign policy operates on a principle of strict reciprocity, so the e-Gate membership for GE holders lasts as long as GE membership for Taiwan citizens (i.e., 5 years); this is also why both cost basically the same, both require an in-person interview with stupid questions, etc. etc. For whatever reason, the validity period doesn't currently appear to be listed on the NIA website, but I can confirm that my membership expiration date is 5 years from the date of my e-Gate interview.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Taiwan foreign policy operates on a principle of strict reciprocity, so the e-Gate membership for GE holders lasts as long as GE membership for Taiwan citizens (i.e., 5 years); this is also why both cost basically the same, both require an in-person interview with stupid questions, etc. etc. For whatever reason, the validity period doesn't currently appear to be listed on the NIA website, but I can confirm that my membership expiration date is 5 years from the date of my e-Gate interview.
Correct. I believe even as an ARC holder there is no need for an interview for e-Gate enrollment, right?

Now, who's going to be the first to renew their passport?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: Million Miles achieved | 2017 Delta Platinum, United NADA, Global Entry, PreCheck, NEXUS

Originally Posted by Majuki
It's good to know there is some flexibility in the appointment scheduling. I arrived the first thing in the morning, which was during my scheduled appointment window, and there was nobody there. I believe ARC/APRC holders or ROC passport holders can enroll on the spot without an appointment, so I never really understood the need for an appointment for people for this program other than the enrollment takes a little longer.

I'm glad to know that worked! I'm a bit surprised that the readers have an issue with alignment since one would assume they'd be able to find the machine readable part as long as it's somewhere on the reader.
I’ve tried to use my passport in eGate when I entered Taiwan late last year and when I left Taiwan today. As you can see upthread I had @ 5 experts try to use my passport in eGate multiple times and it never worked. They each tried multiple times and it never worked. When I left today, I tried the trick about lining up the passport with the upper left red light. Didn’t work. Then two eGate personnel tried multiple times. Never worked. So my passport is zero for around 25 or so. They were aware of the issue, apologized profusely and suggested the problem might be created by the crease or wrinkles in the bottom of the passport. But it didn’t seem there was any real confidence that they knew how to correct the issue.

My passport is nine years old. Does anyone of you have a passport that old that has worked? Sigh.
​​​​​​​
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian

I’ve tried to use my passport in eGate when I entered Taiwan late last year and when I left Taiwan today. As you can see upthread I had @ 5 experts try to use my passport in eGate multiple times and it never worked. They each tried multiple times and it never worked. When I left today, I tried the trick about lining up the passport with the upper left red light. Didn’t work. Then two eGate personnel tried multiple times. Never worked. So my passport is zero for around 25 or so. They were aware of the issue, apologized profusely and suggested the problem might be created by the crease or wrinkles in the bottom of the passport. But it didn’t seem there was any real confidence that they knew how to correct the issue.

My passport is nine years old. Does anyone of you have a passport that old that has worked? Sigh.
No issue with my <1-year-old passport in or out...
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:05 am

Programs: FB Gold
My passport is one of those biometric passports issued in 2016 and like i said, worked first attempt at the Taiwan eGate....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.