Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in Question- SEA

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Check in Question- SEA

We are flying PDX-SEA on AS, arriving 21:00 prior to departing on BR25 at 00:20. Separate PNRs. The BR flight is an award ticket, booked with ANA miles. We will not have checked bags. Will we be able to check in either electronically or airside after arrival at SEA? I'd like to avoid having to go through security at SEA if possible....
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold
I had similar question for my PDX>SEA>TPE on one PNR. I assume that EVA will want me to check in with them in SEA to see my passport and CC I bought EVA issued tix with. If I get into SEA 3 hours before flight should I just wait for gate to open or is it better to go to ticket counter and check in? Elite Class so I don't think line at counter will be an issue. Should have plenty of time, but going through security twice is never fun.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Asquared1
I had similar question for my PDX>SEA>TPE on one PNR. I assume that EVA will want me to check in with them in SEA to see my passport and CC I bought EVA issued tix with. If I get into SEA 3 hours before flight should I just wait for gate to open or is it better to go to ticket counter and check in? Elite Class so I don't think line at counter will be an issue. Should have plenty of time, but going through security twice is never fun.
Same situation and questions here. Flying PDX>SEA>TPE>MNL in November via EVA (Elite Class). All legs ticketed under EVA, all under same PNR. PDX>SEA is via AS arriving 2100H. Will the AS counter in PDX print my BR boarding pass? If not, will we have to exit airside to check in at EVA counters to get boarding pass or will the gate agent be able to do it for us. I plan to check in online either way, if possible.

Also, baggage allowance as stated on my ticket is 2 x 62lbs (standard for EVA Elite). Will Alaska Air honor that? I flew via AS/CX last February and they had no problem honoring the CX Premium Economy baggage allowance. But CX is a partner and I believe that the AS leg to SFO was a codeshare with BR. Wondering if AS would honor EVA Air baggage allowance given it is not an alliance partner.

Thanks in Advance!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: EVA Silver, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, BW Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by travellingwineO
We are flying PDX-SEA on AS, arriving 21:00 prior to departing on BR25 at 00:20. Separate PNRs. The BR flight is an award ticket, booked with ANA miles. We will not have checked bags. Will we be able to check in either electronically or airside after arrival at SEA? I'd like to avoid having to go through security at SEA if possible....
You should be able to get the EVA eticket number/ reference number from ANA, then you can check in online on EVA's site.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I’m not sure. I know in SEA, the boarding passes from the EVA app do not scan. Security asked me to go to the check-in counter to get a paper version. But, you’ll be past security already so maybe you can use the e-boarding pass? Or, head to their lounge and see if they can print it out for you.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
I’m not sure. I know in SEA, the boarding passes from the EVA app do not scan. Security asked me to go to the check-in counter to get a paper version. But, you’ll be past security already so maybe you can use the e-boarding pass? Or, head to their lounge and see if they can print it out for you.
EVA probably has to check passports and would rather do that sooner (at ticket counter) than later (at gate).

Last edited by Asquared1; Oct 25, 2017 at 5:36 pm
Old Oct 25, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlackHappy
Thanks for the responses. We are in Royal Laurel Class, so I guess we'll go to the lounge (they use the BA lounge in SEA, apparently) and see what happens. It certainly won't be the end of the world if we have to go through security again, especially since it will be Christmas night, & I'm guessing there won't be much in the way of lines.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't worry so much about the docs check - your goal is to stay airside. If AS is unable to check you through (which they should be able to do if it's all on one ticket and itinerary), use the online system to check-in and then just show your passport at the gate before boarding. It doesn't matter if BR prefers to check the passport at the counter vs the gate, your comfort and convenience is more important.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Don't worry so much about the docs check - your goal is to stay airside. If AS is unable to check you through (which they should be able to do if it's all on one ticket and itinerary), use the online system to check-in and then just show your passport at the gate before boarding. It doesn't matter if BR prefers to check the passport at the counter vs the gate, your comfort and convenience is more important.
My comment about BR possibly preferring to check in at the counter was related to the remark that online checkin BP's were not scannable and thus not accepted by TSA in SEA, so it was more for those originating in SEA.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: TK *G, UA, AS
Originally Posted by MNLGRRTUS
Same situation and questions here. Flying PDX>SEA>TPE>MNL in November via EVA (Elite Class). All legs ticketed under EVA, all under same PNR. PDX>SEA is via AS arriving 2100H. Will the AS counter in PDX print my BR boarding pass? If not, will we have to exit airside to check in at EVA counters to get boarding pass or will the gate agent be able to do it for us. I plan to check in online either way, if possible.
BR staff at the gate in SEA told me (earlier this week) that they open for document checks and connecting pax boarding pass issuance 3.5 hours before departure. None of the posters here should need to go landside in SEA.

In my experience, AS can't issue BR boarding passes at all, even on a single ticket/PNR. They are happy to check bags through, though, and to honor the BR free baggage allowance.

Originally Posted by MNLGRRTUS
Also, baggage allowance as stated on my ticket is 2 x 62lbs (standard for EVA Elite). Will Alaska Air honor that?
I expect AS will honor BR's standard 62lb allowance for Elite class as listed on the ticket/website. I haven't personally flown Elite class with a bag >50lb; in that situation, I would come prepared with a printout showing the allowance.

Originally Posted by travellingwineO
Thanks for the responses. We are in Royal Laurel Class, so I guess we'll go to the lounge (they use the BA lounge in SEA, apparently) and see what happens.
Note the lounge can be BA Terraces or 'The Club at SEA' depending on day/flight, according to BR's website (http://www.evaair.com/en-us/managing...s/?airport=SEA).

It's always been BA for my flights. There was a BR staff person at the lounge front desk, though I'm not sure if they can issue boarding passes. There is a separate counter at the gate for premium pax, so it should be easy enough to get your boarding pass/document check done there first. They will point you to the correct lounge.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by ASELdriver
BR staff at the gate in SEA told me (earlier this week) that they open for document checks and connecting pax boarding pass issuance 3.5 hours before departure. None of the posters here should need to go landside in SEA.

In my experience, AS can't issue BR boarding passes at all, even on a single ticket/PNR. They are happy to check bags through, though, and to honor the BR free baggage allowance.

I expect AS will honor BR's standard 62lb allowance for Elite class as listed on the ticket/website. I haven't personally flown Elite class with a bag >50lb; in that situation, I would come prepared with a printout showing the allowance.

Note the lounge can be BA Terraces or 'The Club at SEA' depending on day/flight, according to BR's website (http://www.evaair.com/en-us/managing...s/?airport=SEA).

It's always been BA for my flights. There was a BR staff person at the lounge front desk, though I'm not sure if they can issue boarding passes. There is a separate counter at the gate for premium pax, so it should be easy enough to get your boarding pass/document check done there first. They will point you to the correct lounge.
Thanks, I would never have thought the gate would be open that early.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:24 am

Note the lounge can be BA Terraces or 'The Club at SEA' depending on day/flight, according to BR's website.

Great stuff ASELdriver! Thanks for the information.

Didn't realize that the BR gates would be open that early. Flew CX last year and their gates in SFO didn't open until 1 hour before.

It's a relief that I do not need to leave airside to get squared away with BR.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 7:46 pm

This is true. Has always been the case when I've boarded AS in SEA connecting onto international carriers (eg, SEA-LAX-NRT via AS/SQ).
Old Oct 29, 2017, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by evergrn
This is true. Has always been the case when I've boarded AS in SEA connecting onto international carriers (eg, SEA-LAX-NRT via AS/SQ).
It's not just AS nor SEA, this is common practice. Even if you did get BP's, the carrier for the international leg will always make you check in with them to check your documentation.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 11:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This advice is not specific to BR, but could come in handy. Once, I did get into SEA (from SEA) on BA using the app, and bypassed the regular check-in counters.

I was in the BA Galleries lounge, and eventually, someone did come over to ask me for my passport for ID check, and then presented me with a paper boarding pass.

I am guessing you should be able to try the BR lounge facility for document check + boarding pass, and avoid going in&out of SEA security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.