Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Eva Premium Economy: To Window or to Aisle?

Old Oct 25, 17, 9:32 am
Original Poster

I just booked EVA Premium Economy SFO-TPE-MNL for next April and I'm debating about which seat I should get: Aisle or Window?

Normally when I'm traveling to Asia for a scuba trip, I have my S.O. with me so the Aisle/Window question is usually moot...I let her have the closest seat to the window. But we tend to fly cattle car class and just happen to have had a very good (read: lucky) streak at moving to bulkhead exit row seats the day of our flight so getting in and out of our seats didn't matter which seat we were in.

But this time I'm a solo flyer and I don't fancy my chances at landing a bulkhead exit row again (you can only push your luck so many times). Since I could book Premium Economy at a very decent price six months out, I decided to grab it. With the Prem Econ bulkhead seats all blocked out (may be booked already or just held in reserve) I had to choose between Aisle and Window for the 2-4-2 configuration.

My initial reaction was to grab window. But then I thought about it some more and realized I would want to get up several times during the 12 hour flight to TPE just to stroll about the cabin and alleviate the DVT risk.

I looked for photos or videos of the EVA Premium Economy seat trying to figure out how inconveniencing it would be for whoever had the aisle seat for me to get up and into the aisle. I would not want to make whoever it was have to get up, seeing as it would be a complete stranger, if I could avoid it.

It's not like there will be much to see out the window at night anwyays so I may end up switching to aisle but I thought I'd look here to see if I could get any input from people who have flown this seat as to the logistics involved getting in and out of the window seat and whether whoever has the aisle has to get up or not. All visual information I've seen on the web is inconclusive on this point. Thanks in advance...

And, yes, I realize if I switch to aisle *I* may be the one to be forced to get up when I wasn't planning on it. But I'm betting I would be forced to get up less if I had the aisle than they would if they had the aisle because I will get up 6 or more times on a flight that long.
Old Oct 25, 17, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Platinum Elite
Row 20 in Premium Economy (bulkhead) is blocked for EVA Gold/Diamond members or have bassinet and it won't be opened until airport check-in. I would advise taking aisle seat since it's a fairly long flight. When the seat in front of you recline to the fullest, it would be difficult to climb over your neighbor (and I have a pretty small stature). If you can sync the bathroom breaks with your neighbor, then it wouldn't be a problem.
Old Oct 25, 17, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. That's what I feared. Sounds like aisle is the way to go...
Old Oct 25, 17, 12:50 pm

Used to be an Aisle guy but recently picking window. I typically sleep and lean against the window. if you got Aisle, you just got the headrest to lean on... i would rather sleep well+ inconvenient someone... :P
Old Oct 25, 17, 3:53 pm

Agree with both previous comments. While the Premium Economy legroom is nice, the extra recline makes it difficult to climb over passengers. If you expect to use the bathroom a lot, definitely go aisle. If you want to sleep, the extra pitch and leaning against the window is a good option.
Old Oct 26, 17, 9:11 am

If you value sleep, then Window. If you tend to get up a lot (bathroom, walk, get stuff out of the overhead bin, etc), then Aisle.

Better yet: Buy the Elite ticket (T or better), and spend 35,000 miles to upgrade to RL on the SFO-TPE flight.
smc333 likes this.
Old Oct 27, 17, 12:52 am

Programs: TK *G, UA, AS
Originally Posted by erics2356 View Post
Agree with both previous comments. While the Premium Economy legroom is nice, the extra recline makes it difficult to climb over passengers.
I would also never book the window unless the aisle was my travel companion. With the seat in front reclined, there is no polite way to climb over a stranger sleeping in the aisle seat.

My preference for solo travel: pick an aisle seat in the center section. If loads are light, you are more likely to have a free seat beside you. If the middle seats in your row are both occupied and you are sleeping, but the people on the other side are awake, then both middle seat people will likely ask the other aisle person to let them out rather than wake you up.
Old Oct 28, 17, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

It's a red eye so everyone is going to be sleeping to some extent. I sleep about the same either at the window or not. For a 12 hour red eye flight I may get 4 hours sleep tops...usually broken up in hour segments. Even the time I flew Royal Laurel I probably only got four hours sleep tops.

I do pretty well with my trusty Bucky. The thing about Window for me is it seems to really put a strain on my neck leaning up against it like that. Though I haven't tried it in Premium Economy...just regular Economy.
Old Oct 28, 17, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by richmke View Post
Better yet: Buy the Elite ticket (T or better), and spend 35,000 miles to upgrade to RL on the SFO-TPE flight.
It's a scuba trip. The whole point of the trip is to keep the costs down so I can afford the diving!

If I could have swung it I would have burned my United miles on RL all the way to MNL like I did when I flew to DPS three years ago. But that wasn't possible so instead I'll do this and dump the miles back in the UA account. I don't fly EVA enough to leave those miles in Mileagelands.
Old Jan 24, 18, 7:11 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
Originally Posted by richmke View Post
If you value sleep, then Window. If you tend to get up a lot (bathroom, walk, get stuff out of the overhead bin, etc), then Aisle.

How much would that cost? I mean to purchase the 35,000 miles.
Old Jan 28, 18, 5:56 pm

Programs: Thai
Originally Posted by ASELdriver View Post
I would also never book the window unless the aisle was my travel companion. With the seat in front reclined, there is no polite way to climb over a stranger sleeping in the aisle seat.

My preference for solo travel: pick an aisle seat in the center section. If loads are light, you are more likely to have a free seat beside you. If the middle seats in your row are both occupied and you are sleeping, but the people on the other side are awake, then both middle seat people will likely ask the other aisle person to let them out rather than wake you up.
Completely agree! If you're traveling alone, you are way more likely to have an empty seat next to you if you pick an aisle seat in the middle section. If it's a night flight, nothing to see out the window anyway...
Old Jan 30, 18, 11:42 am

Programs: QR Silver, AC, EVA Gold, UL silver and PAL. IHG Gold
I managed to get the aisle in the middle from Toronto to Taipei. But unable to get the front cabin of the 2-4-2 from Taipei to Manila for my March flight. But managed to get the return in April from the front cabin from Manila to Taipei.
I think its a bit unfair that when we pay premium economy all the way then they do not give those seats of 2-4-2 to the long haul passengers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: