Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Transfer in TPE on separate tickets - just under 2 hours enough?

Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:42 pm
exc
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75k

I'm flying HKG-SEA through TPE in September, on separate tickets. I have a reward ticket segment on TPE-SEA at 10:50 am and I'm looking to find a way to get to TPE from HKG now. There's a flight from HKG arriving at 8:55 - would that be cutting it too close especially on separate tickets? I'll be in business class on both incoming and outgoing flights.

My other option would be flying in the night before and I am not really looking forward to spending a night at the airport.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 8:16 pm

I think 2 hours is very hard to do. EVA and China Airlines uses the newer terminal, while all other airlines fly into terminal 1. I've never personally done a transfer in taiwan as that has always been my destination, so maybe others can provide additional info.
Old Jul 9, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Have you thought about booking BR828(7:30-9:10) since you are traveling on BR for your reward ticket? They can issue your BP and check your bags through in HK and you simply have to go through transit security before catching your next flight.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by babypuwet
I think 2 hours is very hard to do. EVA and China Airlines uses the newer terminal, while all other airlines fly into terminal 1. I've never personally done a transfer in taiwan as that has always been my destination, so maybe others can provide additional info.
T1 to T2 is only about 10 extra minutes. They are connected airside with a train, or you can just walk as C/B are end to end (and I presume, but do not know, that D/A are also).

WIth no checked luggage this is an easy connection. I would expect him to have time to spend in the lounge.

Checked luggage is a different game. Supposedly there is an airside luggage counter of some sort that can handle this for you. But I have no clue if, how and when it works.

Of course a late arrival is an issue.

Edit: I also agree with hazel on giving up 15 minutes to be all on BR. If something goes wrong, they are will almost certainly take better care of you than if some other airline got you in late. And checked bags would make it the only option. Most likely the other option arrives in T1, so you burn most of that 15 minutes right there anyway.

EDIT2: It has never taken me more than 30 minutes (gate to gate) to make a BR-BR transfer at TPE. Even if the transfer line is long, your C ticket allows you to line jump.
And if you take BR828 and it happens to be late, BR will be there to assist (you might have to let them know, as they will miss you connecting due to separate tickets).

Last edited by exwannabe; Jul 10, 2017 at 3:33 pm
Old Jul 10, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I just did the same thing 2 weeks ago. Flight HKG-TPE and TPE-SEA on separate reservations with about 2.5 hours in TPE. I was able to get all boarding passes checking in at HKG (Via Airport Express station), so when transiting through TPE I just had to go through transit security which was quick, maybe 5 mins. The gates are close enough and I still ended up spending my time browsing the shops. Definitely no issues with connection time. And no need to deal with checked bags.

Last edited by IntlSalesGuy; Jul 10, 2017 at 4:47 pm Reason: Added info
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:43 am

This is making me concerned on my flight tomorrow from LAX-HKG with a transfer at TPE for 1 hour and 5 minutes. I am on EVA on both legs of flights though, and they were reward J flights from ANA rewards.

Does anybody think this will be an issue?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by alanme123
This is making me concerned on my flight tomorrow from LAX-HKG with a transfer at TPE for 1 hour and 5 minutes. I am on EVA on both legs of flights though, and they were reward J flights from ANA rewards.

Does anybody think this will be an issue?
No. EVA to EVA only requires transit security before moving on to your next flight. It is in the sane terminal. You have nothing to worry about. And if there is a line, there is a dedicated J line for transit security.
The OP was thinking of flying HKG-TPE on CX before switching to a BR flight to SEA.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The real issue with separate tickets is you have no protection or recourse if you miss the second flight, which is usually through no fault of your own. At that point you'll probably have to buy a new ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 7:48 am
exc
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E75k
Sounds like I should just fly in the night before and spend the night in TPE or an airport hotel. My flight is a reward ticket and there's currently no HKG-TPE availability on that day - hence the Cathay flight.

If I buy an economy ticket, and my bags are checked through, will they still have priority bags despite my initial check in being in economy? Somehow I doubt it...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Coming in the night before is the wise course of action on separate tickets.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:15 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
No. EVA to EVA only requires transit security before moving on to your next flight. It is in the sane terminal. You have nothing to worry about. And if there is a line, there is a dedicated J line for transit security.
The OP was thinking of flying HKG-TPE on CX before switching to a BR flight to SEA.
Thank you for confirming!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:10 pm

Will EVA in YVR check through my luggage to a CX flight to HKG?

Originally Posted by exc
I'm flying HKG-SEA through TPE in September, on separate tickets. I have a reward ticket segment on TPE-SEA at 10:50 am and I'm looking to find a way to get to TPE from HKG now. There's a flight from HKG arriving at 8:55 - would that be cutting it too close especially on separate tickets? I'll be in business class on both incoming and outgoing flights.

My other option would be flying in the night before and I am not really looking forward to spending a night at the airport.

OP: what did you end up doing? Looking at the same situation (different direction so less time pressure) but need to check luggage.

All: Will EVA in YVR check through my luggage to a CX flight to HKG (separate ticket of course)? Or do I have to clear immigration in TPE, collect luggage and check in again? If yes, how long does this take?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.