Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

Horrible experience on EVA: YVR to TPE - Elite Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Horrible experience on EVA: YVR to TPE - Elite Class

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by blondee_yvr
You can't say that because you were not seated where we were at that time. You're only speaking theoretically but you make it sound what you're saying is absolute.

I always bring a thermostat with me when I travel. The temperature read 30C and I routinely check it's accuracy. It's [digital] display temperature is in actually a few degrees lower than actual "mercury type" based thermometers. We have several thermostats in our home and workplace and this one always reads the lowest.

Walking around on the plane (from anxiety and heat) even with the limited area indicated to me that for whatever reason the airflow around the seats we got: 26K and 26H on 747-400 was much warmer than elsewhere on the plane. Perhaps due to the lack of airflow and the curtain behind us.

I would expect the purser to say that the temperature was lowered even though it was not, so what are one's options in this case? I don't expect them to accommodate every request.
Note the word "normally". Perhaps there was a lack of airflow in your area.
They do actually lower the temperature, maybe by a degree or so. If they lower it too much at once, they will be berated by others in the cabin because it is too cold.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I always bring a thermostat with me when I travel.
Don't you mean thermometer???

A thermostat is a switching device.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
You misread. The virus showed up within 12 hours after the last meal and lasted for 3 days. My spouse didn't have a bite of that soggy breakfast so she had no issue. I suggest leaving the medical diagnosis to medical doctors
As I mentioned, the incubation period of norovirus is 12-48 hours - so if you believe your doctor's diagnosis of norovirus is correct, it is virtually impossible that the second meal caused it. And again, given the median incubation time for norovirus is on the high side of the range, it is in fact much more likely that it was something you ate prior to the flight.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
While I agree your experience was far from pleasant, I'm getting the impression that your expectations are misguided.

We paid extra to book seats in the Elite Class. We sat at the end of one row where there were only two seats. We were thinking this should be good because there was nobody behind us. Instead there was a curtain to the back of us and limited reclining ability.
As someone who's been flying for decades you should know that not all seats are created equal.

Worst of all, the temperature inside our "space" had reached and stayed a good 30 C or 86 F for most of the flight. We asked the flight attendants to do something but they looked at us kind of funny and simply nodded and walked away.
Asian airlines are known to have warmer cabins, but 30C is an exaggeration. If it really was that hot, even the crew would be complaining.

The other part of the "torture" was our meal service. On the way there, we were giving a respectable meal at around 1AM local time. For our last meal, I got the short end of the stick. I asked for a western meal, but they had already ran out. Remember, we are in Elite seats. However, the flight attendant was helpful and said she would try to locate one. It must've been the cabin pressure and dry air, but I should've realized this might be a bad thing because that's how it turned out.
The rows near the ends of the cabin are usually the last to be served. You voluntarily chose to sit at the last row, so you can't be surprised that they ran out of one option. So what if you were in Elite class? They don't load every choice for each passenger, even in Business.

The flight attendant returned with a tray of barely luke warm greasy AF hash browns and eggs. I took a few bites and I just skipped the meal. It was that disgusting.
The FA went out of her way to hunt down a western meal, which could well have been a meant for the crew, and you're still complaining. As far as airline breakfasts go, you didn't get anything out of the ordinary.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
As I mentioned, the incubation period of norovirus is 12-48 hours - so if you believe your doctor's diagnosis of norovirus is correct, it is virtually impossible that the second meal caused it. And again, given the median incubation time for norovirus is on the high side of the range, it is in fact much more likely that it was something you ate prior to the flight.
Thank you, thats what I am thinking that she/he ate something prior to the flight.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
While I agree your experience was far from pleasant, I'm getting the impression that your expectations are misguided.

As someone who's been flying for decades you should know that not all seats are created equal.

Asian airlines are known to have warmer cabins, but 30C is an exaggeration. If it really was that hot, even the crew would be complaining.

The rows near the ends of the cabin are usually the last to be served. You voluntarily chose to sit at the last row, so you can't be surprised that they ran out of one option. So what if you were in Elite class? They don't load every choice for each passenger, even in Business.

The FA went out of her way to hunt down a western meal, which could well have been a meant for the crew, and you're still complaining. As far as airline breakfasts go, you didn't get anything out of the ordinary.
He claims his thermometer measured 30 degrees.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:34 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
TLDR; EVA will not reimburse you, fly an different airline, and an economy is always an economy product so please lower your expectations.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I sympathize with the OP. On my last Premium Laurel flight YYZ-TPE the FA served my pre-ordered meal to someone else and I was offered one of the unpalatable Taiwanese specialty meals, served lukewarm. On my next flight, I had to send the meal back to be heated up because it was still cold in the middle. Service can be inconsistent. A flight 3 months earlier had a broken seat. The option they gave me was to move to economy. I have not purchased a seat from BR since the meal issues. $5800 merits some better service.

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Push Harder on BR. They respond well when people push them.
One should not have to push when there is an issue of poor service. BR is not known for its customer service in the same way CX or SQ or NH is. This is just one of many factors in the erosion of customer preference for EVA and why profits fell 46% last year. And yes, I know there are a number of reasons for that change, but the fact is that BR has been cutting costs in an effort to fix its bottom line. Not as bad as other airlines, but noticeable for those who fell in love with the airline 5+ years ago. There seems to have been an influx of young FAs who's experience matches the uniform - green.

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
Normally, the flight starts off very warm for North American standards and progressively cools as the flight progresses. If you tell them, they will always call the purser to adjust temperature.
However, EVA does not have the temperate at 30 celsius. The norm for the beginning is 22-24.
I see your point on the B777. However, the B747 had some issues when I flew it out of YVR. They were old planes. Aside from the temperature, I was so angry that BR had sold me a Recliner seat as business class. Fortunately, these planes are gone. And in fairness, the heat issue has happened to me on AF on a B777 for BKK-CDG. It does depend on where one sits. There are "dead" zones on some planes where the air flow is not good. My point being, that I can understand that it may feel very hot in one area, while the cabin temp reads 24C up front. In respect to a Purser changing the cabin temp, I doubt it. On my flights the old folks are always complaining that its cold.

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So you cannot presume its the airlines food either leave the toxicology reports to the experts.
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Thank you, thats what I am thinking that she/he ate something prior to the flight.
It is not impossible for a food borne illness to manifest itself within hours. The physician may have said virus, but in the absence of the magical culture, one doesn't know for sure. What I do know is that the rapid onset illnesses are typically caused by a bacteria. An exposure to Salmonella can produce symptoms within 6 hours. The symptoms described, and the egg meal, suggest salmonellosis. We are exposed to these beasties on every flight. Most people have working immune systems, however those with an underlying illness or who are fatigued may not be able to address the visitors.

I don't want to belabor the point, but the possibility of a food borne illness was there. Personally, I believe it unlikely because of the way the food is served, but airline caterers are not the cleanest of operations and Vancouver isn't known for the same fastidious standards as one finds in Japan or Singapore. Packaging can sometimes be contaminated and this in turn taints the meal when it is being set out. Just because the FAs wear plastic gloves in the galley doesn't make it safer.
Old May 2, 2017, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
I sympathize with the OP. On my last Premium Laurel flight YYZ-TPE the FA served my pre-ordered meal to someone else and I was offered one of the unpalatable Taiwanese specialty meals, served lukewarm. On my next flight, I had to send the meal back to be heated up because it was still cold in the middle. Service can be inconsistent. A flight 3 months earlier had a broken seat. The option they gave me was to move to economy. I have not purchased a seat from BR since the meal issues. $5800 merits some better service.

One should not have to push when there is an issue of poor service. BR is not known for its customer service in the same way CX or SQ or NH is. This is just one of many factors in the erosion of customer preference for EVA and why profits fell 46% last year. And yes, I know there are a number of reasons for that change, but the fact is that BR has been cutting costs in an effort to fix its bottom line. Not as bad as other airlines, but noticeable for those who fell in love with the airline 5+ years ago. There seems to have been an influx of young FAs who's experience matches the uniform - green.

I see your point on the B777. However, the B747 had some issues when I flew it out of YVR. They were old planes. Aside from the temperature, I was so angry that BR had sold me a Recliner seat as business class. Fortunately, these planes are gone. And in fairness, the heat issue has happened to me on AF on a B777 for BKK-CDG. It does depend on where one sits. There are "dead" zones on some planes where the air flow is not good. My point being, that I can understand that it may feel very hot in one area, while the cabin temp reads 24C up front. In respect to a Purser changing the cabin temp, I doubt it. On my flights the old folks are always complaining that its cold.

It is not impossible for a food borne illness to manifest itself within hours. The physician may have said virus, but in the absence of the magical culture, one doesn't know for sure. What I do know is that the rapid onset illnesses are typically caused by a bacteria. An exposure to Salmonella can produce symptoms within 6 hours. The symptoms described, and the egg meal, suggest salmonellosis. We are exposed to these beasties on every flight. Most people have working immune systems, however those with an underlying illness or who are fatigued may not be able to address the visitors.

I don't want to belabor the point, but the possibility of a food borne illness was there. Personally, I believe it unlikely because of the way the food is served, but airline caterers are not the cleanest of operations and Vancouver isn't known for the same fastidious standards as one finds in Japan or Singapore. Packaging can sometimes be contaminated and this in turn taints the meal when it is being set out. Just because the FAs wear plastic gloves in the galley doesn't make it safer.
Actually pax number were up last year by almost 12%. Tough competition, especially from LCCS, caused yields to drop almost 20%. The cargo sector also took a 18% hit. So no, service did not cause the 46% drop.

Last edited by hayzel7773; May 2, 2017 at 12:51 pm
Old May 2, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold/*G, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer

One should not have to push when there is an issue of poor service. BR is not known for its customer service in the same way CX or SQ or NH is.
Hmm my s.o. and I flew CX in F between HKG/JFK a few times to burn off Oneworld miles and we have a completely different experience of CX. The service in CX First Class was consistently worse than BR Royal Laurel Class. On several JFK bound flights, CX ran out of drinking water which never happened even when we flew BR in Economy Class from TPE. I'm not sure if the 229 nautical miles difference between HKG/JFK and TPE/JFK warrants the lack of drinking water.
Old May 2, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by foppishbum
Hmm my s.o. and I flew CX in F between HKG/JFK a few times to burn off Oneworld miles and we have a completely different experience of CX. The service in CX First Class was consistently worse than BR Royal Laurel Class. On several JFK bound flights, CX ran out of drinking water which never happened even when we flew BR in Economy Class from TPE. I'm not sure if the 229 nautical miles difference between HKG/JFK and TPE/JFK warrants the lack of drinking water.
Unfortunate for you. However as you fly United, it probably was still a superior experience. I am not going to defend CX, and the airline certainly doesn't need me to do it either.
However, if you are encountering that situation more often than not, switch airlines and please do consider EVA. It obviously meets your needs and you are pleased with the transaction. That's all that matters. Win win for everyone.
Old May 6, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I even had a case where my pre-ordered C meal was not loaded (out of SFO) and the entree just did not come. Then the FA tried to blame it on me for not ordering it. Talking to the purser, the problem is really the rapid expansion - new FAs don't have the work ethics as the previous generation, they are not trained as well as before and they don't work in Y as long before they can work in C.

So, service is really inconsistent. I am sure all that Chang family turmoil did not help either.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
I do not how EVA is after the covid as they do not seem to have transit flights out of TPE. So I have been flying AC on the Asia route from YYZ. The service on BR pre Covid was one of the best I have seen, certainly on PE. I am also surprised as to the issue of meal choice in PE. Normally they ask you and give you the menu before they start serving the meal. If I have any issues with BR, it is their boarding procedure, but having seen some comments about the boarding situation, certainly in North America, maybe they do have the right procedure.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Davvidd
I do not how EVA is after the covid as they do not seem to have transit flights out of TPE. So I have been flying AC on the Asia route from YYZ. The service on BR pre Covid was one of the best I have seen, certainly on PE. I am also surprised as to the issue of meal choice in PE. Normally they ask you and give you the menu before they start serving the meal. If I have any issues with BR, it is their boarding procedure, but having seen some comments about the boarding situation, certainly in North America, maybe they do have the right procedure.
Parents flew back earlier in the year on EVA. hard product remains the same however there were cuts in soft product. J meals were only limited to the 3 choices. mom flew J, said food wasnt very good. Dad was in Y which was wide open in terms of seating, no comments on the food though.
They flew back to the states when SQ was running their TPE--LAX route and both much much preferred SQ than BR this time around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.