FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   Royal Laurel: Front or Second Cabin (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1835257-royal-laurel-front-second-cabin.html)

dsantos08 Apr 7, 2017 5:27 pm

Royal Laurel: Front or Second Cabin

Flying royal laurel from LAX to TPE this fall. And basically all seats are available to choose from except for a few blocked seats. (can you request those blocked seats? I noticed the front rows in both cabins are blocked)

I noticed that the front cabin has more seats than the second cabin. Is there a service difference between the two cabins?

Also which cabin do you prefer and why?

I will be traveling with my wife. What seats would you guys recommend?

TennisNoob Apr 7, 2017 11:07 pm

Front cabin for sure. Service being better up front is an general rule of thumb for any airline.

Notice the back cabin is rarely selected prior to check-in. Than you have all the buy-ups usually fill the 2nd cabin.

Babies tend to be in the smaller cabin.

I suggest Row 1, 2 center seats but probably it's already taken.

hayzel7773 Apr 8, 2017 12:11 am

EVA uses a "section" service type, meaning the flight attendants split the cabin into sections for service. They are more focused on their "section" during meal service, however they will help anyone that asks. There should not be an effect on service. I recommend Row 2 or 3 in the center or two window seats one behind another.

sfo3388 Apr 8, 2017 12:45 am

Originally Posted by dsantos08 (Post 28144780)
Flying royal laurel from LAX to TPE this fall. And basically all seats are available to choose from except for a few blocked seats. (can you request those blocked seats? I noticed the front rows in both cabins are blocked)

I noticed that the front cabin has more seats than the second cabin. Is there a service difference between the two cabins?

Also which cabin do you prefer and why?

I will be traveling with my wife. What seats would you guys recommend?

Row 1, 3 and 8 are reserved for EVA's top frequent flyers. If not taken, seats are open for everybody 48 hours before departure. This is my understanding.

I prefer front cabin as it seems to be more private. However, 77A and 77B have two lavatories in the front cabin in each side of row 1. Row 1 seems to get more foot traffic.

I don't like 1D as there is no overhead bin available above the seat. Last time I had to apologize to seatmate at 2D for putting my hand luggage above him.

hayzel7773 Apr 8, 2017 1:43 am

Originally Posted by sfo3388 (Post 28145724)
Row 1, 3 and 8 are reserved for EVA's top frequent flyers. If not taken, seats are open for everybody 48 hours before departure. This is my understanding.

I prefer front cabin as it seems to be more private. However, 77A and 77B have two lavatories in the front cabin in each side of row 1. Row 1 seems to get more foot traffic.

I don't like 1D as there is no overhead bin available above the seat. Last time I had to apologize to seatmate at 2D for putting my hand luggage above him.

Row 1 middle seats do not have bins due to the location of the pilot crew rest.

BlackHappy Apr 8, 2017 5:27 am

The FAs seem to feel the front rows are bad--and I agree with them. Something seems narrower or shorter, and the light shining on the "artwork" in the middle is annoying.

Service-wise, the most junior AP will take the right-hand aisle in the back.

8A/K have bassinets though I saw a baby in 9A a couple days ago with the parents opting not to take the bassinet.

Dreamflight Apr 8, 2017 11:45 am

I had the same question as dsantos08. Interesting to see everyone's thoughts so far.

What are people's opinions on privacy, and what would be considered the most 'private' seat/seats?

Wouldn't the second cabin feel more private and intimate, especially for those seated in the 11A-11K rows?

Does the second cabin get meal service after the first, or do both get served simultaneously?

TennisNoob Apr 8, 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamflight (Post 28147297)
I had the same question as dsantos08. Interesting to see everyone's thoughts so far.

What are people's opinions on privacy, and what would be considered the most 'private' seat/seats?

Wouldn't the second cabin feel more private and intimate, especially for those seated in the 11A-11K rows?

Does the second cabin get meal service after the first, or do both get served simultaneously?

Simultaneously because different crew stationed for an set of seats. When the cabins go dark after serving, 2nd cabin service is in-existent.

foppishbum Apr 8, 2017 1:36 pm

I always pick row 3 or 5 A or K. Keep in mind that 7K does not actually have a window. During boarding, Elite and Economy pax walk through the mini cabin so it might be a more pleasant pre-flight experience in the front cabin.

qsh Apr 9, 2017 12:01 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy (Post 28146165)

No wonder the service on my last flight was subpar (they were good, but not up to the normal standard of BR)

dsantos08 Apr 10, 2017 8:41 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 28147590)
Simultaneously because different crew stationed for an set of seats. When the cabins go dark after serving, 2nd cabin service is in-existent.

That makes total sense now. My wife and I flew Royal Laurel this past December as well and we were also in the rear cabin (10D 10G). I noticed that service was sub par after meal service and that I rarely got checked up on. But I thought it was because it was the holidays and the attendants might of been burnt out.

So we actually selected 9D 9G for our upcoming flight because we like the intimacy of the smaller cabin with less seats. And we had the logic that the smaller cabin would have better service.

We prefer the middle seats and Rows 3-7 and 9-10 are wide open. So based on everyone's feedback, would seats 3D 3G be the best selection?

dsantos08 Apr 10, 2017 8:55 am

Originally Posted by BlackHappy (Post 28146165)
The FAs seem to feel the front rows are bad--and I agree with them. Something seems narrower or shorter, and the light shining on the "artwork" in the middle is annoying.

8A/K have bassinets though I saw a baby in 9A a couple days ago with the parents opting not to take the bassinet.

What does AP stand for?

BlackHappy Apr 10, 2017 10:34 am

Assistant purser

Stratoliner777 Apr 11, 2017 12:00 am

Front cabin IMO, although what row in the front cabin, depends...

...kinda different from airlines with F/J/Y on 777s, for which there may be a J "mini-cabin" that is very private...that does not apply to BR where there isn't a mini-cabin...

TennisNoob Apr 11, 2017 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Stratoliner777 (Post 28159208)
Front cabin IMO, although what row in the front cabin, depends...

...kinda different from airlines with F/J/Y on 777s, for which there may be a J "mini-cabin" that is very private...that does not apply to BR where there isn't a mini-cabin...

J Mini cabin like NH up front is perfect but than again it's the mini cabin upfront. I've never tried LH's mini cabin in the back but there seems to be an baby there everytime on the A380.

True though I would take mini cabin > the last row in the forward cabin of BR because it sticks out into the aisle and can be troublesome with the bathroom right behind you or galley.