Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

TPE Airport Express Finally Opens on 3/2! CI & BR Provide Downtown Check-In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Part of the Taoyuan Metro System

Important Dates
  • Official Opening was 3/2/2017
  • Full price started 4/2/2017

Types of Trains
  • Purple Express Trains stop at select stations between TPE Airport Terminals (A12, A13) and Downtown Taipei (A1). Travel time is about 35 minutes
  • Blue Commuter Trains stop at all stops on the entire line (A1 to A23). Travel time between TPE Airport and Downtown Taipei is about 45 minutes

Schedule and First/Last Trains
Transfer Information
In-Town Check-In (ITCI) Service Restrictions
  • Offered for limited carriers (China Airlines, Mandarin, EVA Air, Uni Air, Cathay Pacific, Dragon Air, Air Asia)
  • Must check in 3 hours before departure, good for all same-day flights operated by the participating carriers
  • Not available to groups, unaccompanied minors, pets and oversized baggage
  • Not available for flights to Canada (not clear if this is for non-stop flights or connecting flights are also restricted)
  • Can leave the station after dropping bags off and do not even have to take the train to the airport
  • China Airlines instructions: https://www.china-airlines.com/tw/en/fly/at-the-airport/in-town-checkin
  • EVA Air instructions: http://www.evaair.com/en-global/managing-your-trip/airport-and-transportation/airports-in-taiwan/taiwan-taoyuan-international-airport/
  • Refer to https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/ITCI/eng_mobile/index.html for additional restrictions

Payments
  • Cash Only. However, the following stored-value cards are accepted:
    • EasyCard (same as Taipei)
    • iPass (same as Kaohsiung)
    • +6 More

Reports
  • 360 degree video of the trip: http://www.facebook.com/chengwentsan...4020274082137/
  • News article with video on the first day of the free group ride: http://www.cna.com.tw/news/ahel/201702020161-1.aspx

Amenities
  • Purple Express Trains have Wifi and wireless charging

Map

Discount and Combo Tickets
Fares - Effective 2 April 2017
NT $160 from TPE Airport (A12 and A13) to Taipei Main Station (A1)
Print Wikipost

TPE Airport Express Finally Opens on 3/2! CI & BR Provide Downtown Check-In

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by tropikey
I plan to stay in Hilton Sinban [...] next to Banqiao station. As far as I understand, there're two possibilities to get there with public transport:
1) direct bus no. 1962 for NT$ 135 one way,
2) airport MRT + subway from central station to Banqiao station. In this case, I could take advantage of combo ticket: airport MRT both ways + 48 hours unlimited subway rides, for NT$ 520.
I'd consider taking the Airport MRT to the Taoyuan High-Speed Rail (HSR) station (not towards Taipei but in the opposite direction), and then the HSR to Banqiao. It's 5-6 stops, 20 min and TWD 25 on the Airport MRT, and then 1 stop, 12 mins, and TWD 125 on the HSR, with trains running typically every 10 or 20 mins. The hotel is within walking distance from the Banqiao station (400 m or 5 mins). The whole trip could be done in 45 mins overall this way.

For comparison, bus 1962 runs every 30 mins and takes 70-80 mins to get to the destination according to schedule: www.airbus.com.tw/index.php/route/airport-bus/1962 The walk from the bus would be slightly longer but not much (600 m or 8 mins).

I don't think it's worth it to go with the daily MRT pass. You'd have to travel a lot to recover its cost. And, unless the trip is really long, it's better to use buses to move around, which is easy now with Google Maps, so you might not end up using the MRT that much. Just get a standard stored-value card (EasyCard) instead. Any remaining balance can be spent at a convenience store at the end of your trip.
tropikey likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:49 am

Thank you very much for this helpful information
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My thoughts:

1 - if money is the primary concern, do the bus + the 24 hour Taipei Metro Pass (2 * 135 + 180). The regular Taipei Metro Day Pass is $150 but it is service-day and does not include city buses. You want the $180 24 hour one

2 - if you want to try the HSR, do the HSR route - maybe one way with HSR and one way with bus

3 - Taipei Main is very crowded (and there is a long walk to/from the Airport Metro - but there might be some free golf cart service)

4 - Bus is slow, not as English friendly and bus drivers can be rude

So, I would arrive at the Hilton, relax at the lounge, explore the area a little (which there is plenty). It might be the evening already. Then buy the 24 Hour pass and activate it. This way you have it the evening of the day or arrival + most of the next day.

The next day, check-out and leave your stuff with the hotel. Then explore the city. Go back to the hotel, get your bags and take the bus to the airport.
tropikey likes this.

Last edited by username; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:43 am Reason: 24 Hour Pass is Only for Metro, Not Metro + Bus
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:25 pm

Sounds great! That's the way I'll do it
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Anyone know the reason as to why Taipei stn checkin is not available for flights to Canada?
The rule seems to be only about bag drop. You should still be able to check in at the station if travelling without hold luggage, although that's probably not very useful. The website says it's due to the laws of Canada, without giving any further details: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/ITCI...otice02_m.html
因應加拿大國家法令規定,自106年11月22日晚上18時起,暫緩接受飛往加拿大旅客行李託運
For the record, here's who is ineligible for in-town check-in, according to the above page:
  • Unaccompanied minors below 12
  • Groups
  • Travelers with:
    • Animals
    • Oversize luggage (sum of dimensions above 157 cm or length over 70 cm)
    • Luggage to Canada
Staffed check-in is for AE/B7/BR/CI only. Staff cannot change or refund tickets. They will accept luggage that results in extra charges but these still have to be paid at the airport. There are also automated check-in machines for CX/KA and Air Asia (AK, D7, FD, Z2) but no staff is available. These are hopefully all the restrictions in place at the moment.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ProleOnParole
The rule seems to be only about bag drop. You should still be able to check in at the station if travelling without hold luggage, although that's probably not very useful. The website says it's due to the laws of Canada, without giving any further details: https://www.taoyuan-airport.com/ITCI...otice02_m.html
For the record, here's who is ineligible for in-town check-in, according to the above page:
  • Unaccompanied minors below 12
  • Groups
  • Travelers with:
    • Animals
    • Oversize luggage (sum of dimensions above 157 cm or length over 70 cm)
    • Luggage to Canada
Staffed check-in is for AE/B7/BR/CI only. Staff cannot change or refund tickets. They will accept luggage that results in extra charges but these still have to be paid at the airport. There are also automated check-in machines for CX/KA and Air Asia (AK, D7, FD, Z2) but no staff is available. These are hopefully all the restrictions in place at the moment.
I feel so... discriminated against...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by username
My thoughts:

1 - if money is the primary concern, do the bus + the 24 hour Taipei Metro + Bus Pass (2 * 135 + 180). The regular Taipei Metro Day Pass is $150 but it is service-day and does not include city buses. You want the $180 24 hour one

2 - if you want to try the HSR, do the HSR route - maybe one way with HSR and one way with bus

3 - Taipei Main is very crowded (and there is a long walk to/from the Airport Metro - but there is some free golf cart service)

4 - Bus is slow, not as English friendly and bus drivers can be rude

So, I would arrive at the Hilton, relax at the lounge, explore the area a little (which there is plenty). It might be the evening already. Then buy the 24 Hour pass and activate it. This way you have it the evening of the day or arrival + most of the next day.

The next day, check-out and leave your stuff with the hotel. Then explore the city. Go back to the hotel, get your bags and take the bus to the airport.
I use the bus to Tu-Cheng and Banchiao sometimes (I prefer taxi now days if not driving myself) and find bus fastest public transit to that area. Rail needs transfers at Taipei/Sanchoung Station and back track to the new Hilton area. I agree bus drivers sometimes are not so nice (more so if do not speak Chinese as mentioned) and even for us. drop off/pick up points are not clear.
tropikey likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have a correction to make on this....I changed my incorrect post...

The NT$180 Taipei 24 Hour Pass is only good on the Metro, not the Bus. There is an NT$180 Metro + Bus pass but that is by service day.

Last edited by username; Jan 27, 2019 at 8:49 am
Old Jan 27, 2019, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Slightly OT, but does anyone have experience with AirPoPo?

https://www.airpopo.com/en/taiwan
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Zorak
Slightly OT, but does anyone have experience with AirPoPo?

https://www.airpopo.com/en/taiwan
Never used this service. But there are many private car service, one that works with many credit card company is youfirst.com.tw
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Having just returned from Taipei, I was surprised by the affordability of their transit. The usual bus ride was $15 (like 50 US cents) and the subway ride, also based by distance was usually $20-30 within the city core. I loaded $900 into the card on arrival and used it extensively over 5 days (including a return cable car trip from/to the zoo up the hill) each costing $100 each and a return trip from/to the airport and still had almost $300 left on my last day which I got refunded by the station attendant at the airport. No need to get a day pass unless you want to spend the day on the MRT!
tropikey and ProleOnParole like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Also:

1 - On the Taipei Metro, EasyCard (or similar) get 20% off the posted cash rates
2 - There is an NT$8 discount when transferring within 1 hour between MRT an bus, as well as between the Main Artery Buses and other buses

If you want to go in and out a decent amount to hit many sights - especially if you go out to Tamsui / Beitou - a pass might still be cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.