FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands-761/)
-   -   EVA goes 10 abreast 777 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eva-air-infinity-mileagelands/1776225-eva-goes-10-abreast-777-a.html)

AJones2000 Jul 5, 16 12:48 am

EVA goes 10 abreast 777
 
EVA will be changing 777 Y class to 10 abreast. They will introduce it on october 30 on the Taipei-Seattle route.

New configuration 39/56/258 for 77W.

Regards,
A

John ChaoRai Jul 5, 16 4:58 am

source???

jimyvr Jul 5, 16 8:48 am


Originally Posted by John ChaoRai (Post 26871808)
source???

Already appearing in the seat map.

vincewy Jul 5, 16 10:41 am

Someone must be smoking at BR, especially they charge premiums over their competitors. This is true if you're travelling to neighboring countries where I am better off flying LCC with 3-3 configurations in 737s and A320s, pay extra fees for bags and meals.

Stratoliner777 Jul 5, 16 10:52 am

Argh, I wonder if this decision would have been taken by previous BR management or was long in the works.

But heck, their hometown rival has 10-across on its 777s and historical partner NH has it too...

...I'm definitely sticking to Elite from now on.

BuBu4 Jul 5, 16 3:28 pm

Damn, that sucks... i wonder how long it will take before all routes turn this.

as of now, i heard its only for SEA--TPE?

AJones2000 Jul 5, 16 7:06 pm

Thus far. I thought Airline Route said Jakarta was also on the way

longliveKA Jul 7, 16 7:39 am

Blasted bean counters!
There goes my way to earn *A miles.
One more carrier I need to cross from my flying list. Pity as this was the only Taiwanese airline I would trust to fly with.
After KE, AF, KL, LX, CI (for my own safety's reason) and also for 10 abreast, and 787's also on no fly list, running out of options...
It seems only OW is resisting the trend, let's see for how long. QR playing with it, and BA, CX considering...Soon It's going to be A350's, A380's or nothing...

sram Jul 7, 16 8:41 am

Unfortunate, the 9X was a real selling feature compared to AC out of YYZ to HKG (via TPE). I few them several times and thought the 9X Y was nice. Now there just another cattle hauler like AC.

theasianguy Jul 7, 16 11:03 am

Sigh. EVA has gradually been reducing space in Y from 33" and 9 abreast, to 31" and 9 abreast, and finally 31" and 10 abreast.

Let's just hope they don't convert any of the current planes to this configuration. They had one of the most comfortable Y seats of any carrier. I hope this high density configuration is only confined to shorter flights like SEA, YVR, CGK, PVG, BKK, HKG. A 15 hour flight from any non-West Coast city to Taiwan in this seating would be pure torture.

exwannabe Jul 7, 16 8:54 pm


Originally Posted by jimyvr (Post 26872718)
Already appearing in the seat map.

Where are you seeing set maps prior to booking?

The fleet facts seat maps have no 10 across diagrams (at least the en-us version of the site).

Does not really matter much to me, as I always fly at least elite. But I would prefer to avoid such configurations just in case "stuff happens".

jimyvr Jul 8, 16 9:00 am


Originally Posted by exwannabe (Post 26885745)
Where are you seeing set maps prior to booking?

The fleet facts seat maps have no 10 across diagrams (at least the en-us version of the site).

Does not really matter much to me, as I always fly at least elite. But I would prefer to avoid such configurations just in case "stuff happens".

Seat map has been updated in the reservation system. Also the flight information that shows the seating configuration is a giveaway.

[KVS Tool 8.1.0/Diamond - Seat Map: 31 Oct 2016/BR 26/TPE-SEA/EQV/Y-Economy]
Code:

    A  B  C  |  D  E  F  G  |  H  J  K   
45  -  -  -      -  -  -  -      -  -  -    [W] [E]
46  -  -  -      -  +  +  -      -  -  -    [W]
47  -  -  -      -  -  -  -      -  -  -    [W]
48  -  -  -      -  -  -  -      -  -  -    [W]
49  -  -  -      -  +  +  -      -  +  -    [W]
50  -  -  -      -  -  -  -      -  -  -    [W]
51  -  +P  +P      +P  +P  +P  +P      +P  +P  +P  [W]
52  +P  +P  +P      +P  +P  +P  +P      +P  +P  +P  [W]
53  +P  +P  +P      +P  +P  +P  +P      -  -  -   
54  -  +  -      -  -  +  -      -  -  -   
55  -  +  -      +  +  +  -      -  -  -   
56  -  +  -      +  +  +  -      -  -  -   
57  -  -  -      +  +  +  +      -  -  -   
58                  -  -  -  -                    [L]
60  -  -  -                          -  -  -    [E]
61  -  -  +      -  -  -  -      -  -  -   
62  -  -  -      -  -  -  -      -  -  -   
63  -  -  -      +  +  +  +      +  +  -   
64  +  +  +      +  +  +  +      +  +  +   
65  +  +  +      +  +  +  +      +  +  +   
66  +  +  +      +  +  +  +      +  +  +   
67  +  +  +      +  +  +  +      +  +  +   
68  +  +  +      +  +  +  +      +  +  +   
69  +  +  -      +  +  +  +      +  +  +   
70  -      -      -  -  -  -      -      -   
71  -      -      -  -  -  -      -      -   
72  -      -      -  -  -  -      -      -   
73  -      -                          -      -    [L]

[+] Available    [W] Wing Row  [L] Lavatory 
[-] Unavailable  [E] Exit Row  [U] Upper Deck
[P] Preferred    [|] Aisle


Reuleaux Jul 8, 16 5:03 pm

EVA Air 5-star?
 
:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Wonder if it was junior Chang's decison or new chairman's.

username Jul 8, 16 10:11 pm

The Taiwanese newspapers are reporting that:

1 - this is a trial basis for 1 aircraft to be delivered in September - of course, we know where things go from here...

2 - this decision was made a year ago when they ordered the new 77Ws

3 - it says 20 more seats per aircraft - aren't there more than 20 rows in Y?

http://udn.com/news/story/7241/18120...95%86%E6%A9%9F

TennisNoob Jul 9, 16 1:01 am

So I guess EVA waited to officially announce this after it got it's 5* recognition?

>.>

jimyvr Jul 9, 16 7:12 pm


Originally Posted by username (Post 26890982)
The Taiwanese newspapers are reporting that:

1 - this is a trial basis for 1 aircraft to be delivered in September - of course, we know where things go from here...

2 - this decision was made a year ago when they ordered the new 77Ws

3 - it says 20 more seats per aircraft - aren't there more than 20 rows in Y?

http://udn.com/news/story/7241/18120...95%86%E6%A9%9F

Based on comparison with 77A (333-seater) Row 45 - 69 will be 3-4-3, instead of 3-3-3. Row 70-73 is 2-4-2, instead of 3-3-3.

The claim of "trial basis" is somewhat nonsense.

truncated Jul 9, 16 9:37 pm


Originally Posted by username (Post 26890982)
The Taiwanese newspapers are reporting that:

1 - this is a trial basis for 1 aircraft to be delivered in September - of course, we know where things go from here...

Well to give them the benefit of the doubt... when NH took delivery of their 10-abreast 77Ws they put them on their "shorter" TPAC routes (LAX/SFO/SEA, although they sometimes do appear on JFK/IAD/ORD which is a pain) but then the next and most recent batch of 77Ws went back to 2-4-3 in Y. And the 10-abreast 77Ws are now still mainly flying NRT-US West Coast routes.

So we might possibly see the same happening with BR; but I wouldn't get my hopes up.

exwannabe Jul 9, 16 11:35 pm


Originally Posted by jimyvr (Post 26894261)
Based on comparison with 77A (333-seater) Row 45 - 69 will be 3-4-3, instead of 3-3-3. Row 70-73 is 2-4-2, instead of 3-3-3.

The claim of "trial basis" is somewhat nonsense.

I suspected the missing seats had to come from the tail.

But that imply row 70 might be a decent choice if you are forced to fly this 777ET (ET for Extra Tight).

John ChaoRai Jul 31, 16 7:30 pm

it's official
https://www.evaair.com/Images/b2c/fleetmap/77W-353.jpg

https://www.evaair.com/Images/b2c/fleetmap/77W-353.jpg

Enhancements Aug 1, 16 9:43 am


Originally Posted by longliveKA (Post 26882342)
After KE, AF, KL, LX, CI (for my own safety's reason) and also for 10 abreast, and 787's also on no fly list, running out of options...

KE is still fully 9-abreast. So is CA.


I'd much rather have extra seat pitch than width- there's just more usable/habitable space for legs and items. Much of the rhetoric around seat width is from a certain aircraft manufacturer's marketing- that magical single inch won't determine whether you suddenly feel cramped or borderline comfortable.

exwannabe Aug 1, 16 10:34 am


Originally Posted by Enhancements (Post 26998323)
KE is still fully 9-abreast. So is CA.


I'd much rather have extra seat pitch than width- there's just more usable/habitable space for legs and items. Much of the rhetoric around seat width is from a certain aircraft manufacturer's marketing- that magical single inch won't determine whether you suddenly feel cramped or borderline comfortable.

Everybody is different, but I disagree strongly.

I can survive TPAC on BR's 2-4-2 PE seating. If I was in the back (3-3-3), I would almost certainly be arriving in physical pain from having to force my arms in to my body. Sometimes happens to me on shorter flights.

3-4-3? I would walk of the plane.

Room is not fungible. Having place to put some random crap does not make up for the fact that the width is far narrower than my natural elbow-to-elbow width.

As CI jumps ahead of BR with their newest metal, BR slips backwards.

jimyvr Aug 1, 16 10:41 am


Originally Posted by Enhancements (Post 26998323)
KE is still fully 9-abreast. So is CA.

CA will begin 10-abreast economy 777-300ER service in NW16/17 season.

longliveKA Aug 1, 16 12:19 pm

Indeed, I meant KL, not KE.
Cheers!

erics2356 Aug 1, 16 4:10 pm

Additional bad news, 10 abreast extending to more routes

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...or-w16-update/

TennisNoob Aug 1, 16 8:33 pm

The fact CI went 3-4-3 on the 77W made it an no brainer for BR to follow.

Think on the bright side that's why they have PE.

CA going 10 abreast is just an disaster because they have E+ not PE. Unless you fly J, it will be as tight as LH's slim seats on their longhauls.

televisor Aug 1, 16 8:40 pm

For those who think 3-4-3 is OK: average male shoulder width is apparently 17-18 inches. Yes, the average is larger than the width of these new seats. Guess what happens when you have 3-4 average males sitting side by side? Never mind personal space, we just don't fit without contorting ourselves.

BuBu4 Aug 3, 16 12:56 pm


Originally Posted by erics2356 (Post 27000243)
Additional bad news, 10 abreast extending to more routes

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...or-w16-update/

oh man, if SFO <--> TPE is going 10 abreasted, im sure LAX <--> TPE route will go the same too... :\

mkjr Aug 4, 16 7:19 am


Originally Posted by jimyvr (Post 26998616)
CA will begin 10-abreast economy 777-300ER service in NW16/17 season.

CX still 9...no? AC went to 10 also...yikes.

payam81 Aug 4, 16 8:30 pm


Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 27014014)
CX still 9...no? AC went to 10 also...yikes.

CX 10 abreast is coming soon. Enjoy it while it lasts.

mkjr Aug 8, 16 12:07 pm


Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 27017745)
CX 10 abreast is coming soon. Enjoy it while it lasts.

is this confirmed?

payam81 Aug 8, 16 7:47 pm


Originally Posted by mkjr (Post 27033564)
is this confirmed?

Yup, COO had already hinted in last year's meeting and it was confirmed in the annual meeting earlier this year.

CX as a whole is kind of readjusting to stem the losses. I suspect we will see a more mediocre product across the board.

SQ will no doubt be keeping an eye on CX's experience with 10 abreast as well.

mkjr Aug 11, 16 11:25 am


Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 27035759)
Yup, COO had already hinted in last year's meeting and it was confirmed in the annual meeting earlier this year.

CX as a whole is kind of readjusting to stem the losses. I suspect we will see a more mediocre product across the board.

SQ will no doubt be keeping an eye on CX's experience with 10 abreast as well.

damn. that could make for some very very uncomfortable flights across the pacific....

bzcat Aug 11, 16 1:15 pm


Originally Posted by BuBu4 (Post 27010275)
oh man, if SFO <--> TPE is going 10 abreasted, im sure LAX <--> TPE route will go the same too... :\

Probably not for a while since LAX has 3 daily flights. BR doesn't need anymore Y seats on this route.

But obviously it will happen eventually as I'm sure BR will standardize the Y cabin when the 9 abreast planes go in for C or D checks.

hayzel7773 Aug 12, 16 12:59 am


Originally Posted by bzcat (Post 27050363)
Probably not for a while since LAX has 3 daily flights. BR doesn't need anymore Y seats on this route.

But obviously it will happen eventually as I'm sure BR will standardize the Y cabin when the 9 abreast planes go in for C or D checks.

I find it funny that they just finished refurbishing all the 777s with the new Y 9 abreast cabin and they are ripping it out again. Talk about a waste of money.

TennisNoob Aug 12, 16 9:14 pm


Originally Posted by payam81 (Post 27035759)
CX as a whole is kind of readjusting to stem the losses. I suspect we will see a more mediocre product across the board.

SQ will no doubt be keeping an eye on CX's experience with 10 abreast as well.

Interesting following up with the HKADB many are reporting even the bottled of water has been changed from Evian to some generic Chinese brand.

payam81 Aug 13, 16 12:01 am


Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 27057149)
Interesting following up with the HKADB many are reporting even the bottled of water has been changed from Evian to some generic Chinese brand.

It's unfortunately true... This is just the tip of the iceberg as they say. CX is determined to stop the red ink and seems like nothing is off the table at this point.

username Aug 13, 16 12:51 am

According to this: http://udn.com/news/story/7241/1890329...

The Chairman said "It definitely won't be less comfortable because of the additional seat. If it is not comfortable, it would not have gotten pass me." Really?

It said the first extra-seat plane will be a new plane and they are using it on routes that need the extra load. Essentially, 747 replacement, I guess. (SEA GA told me that they use the 744 because of the load so this sort of makes sense.)

The article also says that CDG is going 2x/day starting October - not sure if that is right.

Enhancements Aug 13, 16 11:50 am

If it's really replacing the 744 then it's an equal width seat (so much for the faux-outrage!)

theasianguy Aug 13, 16 12:24 pm


Originally Posted by Enhancements (Post 27059159)
If it's really replacing the 744 then it's an equal width seat (so much for the faux-outrage!)

No it's not. The 747 fuselage is 240 inches wide. The 777 is 231 inches.

You have to shave off those 9 inches somewhere. Most likely, it's coming from the narrower aisles, armrests, and seats. Even if the seats are the same width, narrower armrests and aisles make for a noticeably less pleasant experience.

username Aug 13, 16 12:29 pm

Maybe just a strategy to force larger passengers to buy Elite Class :D UA is occasionally up-gauging to the 744 on TPE-SFO in the coming months. Apparently business is good.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:29 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.