EVA goes 10 abreast 777

Old May 27, 17, 2:25 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by ArnoldB View Post
Thinking about flying from Vienna to Bangkok in Fall/Winter. I checked the recent BR flights on flightradar24 and it's mostly a 77W with the comfy 313 seat 33" 3-3-3 setup, however recently also a new 77W flew the route with the high density 3-4-3 setup.

Are they going to reconfigure all of the 77Ws, or leave the old comfy ones alone and just receive the new ones as high density? I always thought of Eva Air as a quality airline so I'm kind of shocked they are falling for this 10-abreast scheme as well, also considering the asian airlines were kind of like the "last resort".

Other options aren't much better though:

Austrian 772 extra expensive and even worse at 3-4-3 17".
And with Qatar the VIE-DOH leg is on the hell machine 787 with 31" 17" + IFE box. And the other leg on a 77W which nowadays Qatar also uses in high density setting at 31-33"(whatever that means) and 17" in 3-4-3.

Aren't these supposed to be the best 5* airlines?? I mean I know legroom isn't everything but COME ON.
sorry to tell you this but as of 24May, it is the 10 abreast seating. 313 seater last flight is next month.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Old May 27, 17, 2:40 pm
  #92  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: YVR, ZRH
Programs: *G
Posts: 6,322
I totally missed this! So much for putting faith in seatguru... I'm flying YVR-TPE and TPE-SEA, booked it assuming it'd be all 3-3-3 according to seatguru... but when I go to manage my trip I can see both TPE-SEA (not surprising given this thread) AND YVR-TPE (don't think that's been mentioned yet but maybe it's all routes by now?) are on 3-4-3.

disappointed.


at least I have free access to what looks like PE/Elite on the HKG-TPE 77W hop with my Y ticket, that was a positive surprise.
Smiley90 is online now  
Old May 28, 17, 12:09 am
  #93  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I totally missed this! So much for putting faith in seatguru... I'm flying YVR-TPE and TPE-SEA, booked it assuming it'd be all 3-3-3 according to seatguru... but when I go to manage my trip I can see both TPE-SEA (not surprising given this thread) AND YVR-TPE (don't think that's been mentioned yet but maybe it's all routes by now?) are on 3-4-3.

disappointed.


at least I have free access to what looks like PE/Elite on the HKG-TPE 77W hop with my Y ticket, that was a positive surprise.
At the moment, only YVR, SEA, SFO, and VIE will see the 10-abreast. They only have a fleet of 11 planes with ten abreast. B-16730-B-16741(No B-16734).
SFO is double daily(17x starting this winter) with 10-abreast, YVR and SEA are daily, and VIE is 4x a week.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Old May 28, 17, 4:26 am
  #94  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by hayzel7773 View Post
At the moment, only YVR, SEA, SFO, and VIE will see the 10-abreast. They only have a fleet of 11 planes with ten abreast. B-16730-B-16741(No B-16734).
SFO is double daily(17x starting this winter) with 10-abreast, YVR and SEA are daily, and VIE is 4x a week.
Why did they choose Vienna? The other 3 are US west coast destinations, seems random to throw in VIE as well. Oh well, sad to cross another one off the list. But just to be sure, the 3-4-3 configuration has only 31" legroom? Because on some variants on seatguru it says 31-33" and I'm not sure what that means exactly.
ArnoldB is offline  
Old May 28, 17, 11:44 am
  #95  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,021
Originally Posted by ArnoldB View Post
Why did they choose Vienna? The other 3 are US west coast destinations, seems random to throw in VIE as well. Oh well, sad to cross another one off the list. But just to be sure, the 3-4-3 configuration has only 31" legroom? Because on some variants on seatguru it says 31-33" and I'm not sure what that means exactly.
My guess is these are the shortest 777 routes and/or need the highest capacity.
username is online now  
Old May 30, 17, 8:32 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,140
YVR gets 10 abreast because BR cannot increase frequency (restricted by air service agreement with Canada) - it can probably support 2x daily 9 abreast at least seasonally. This is also why YVR was the last 747-400 long haul destination... BR actually needed the capacity and large number of Y seats.

SEA gets 10 abreast presumably because 2x daily 9 abreast is too much seats - this is mostly O&D market for BR as it lacks UA feed.

SFO gets 2x 10 abreast presumably because 3x daily 9 abreast is too much seats.

I don't know the load factors on VIE but probably similar as SEA/SFO... multiple daily 9 abreast is too much seats so they go 4x weekly 10 abreast. I don't think BR has much onward feed business at VIE so it is focused on VIE-BKK O&D and TPE-VIE O&D.

Last edited by bzcat; May 30, 17 at 8:39 pm
bzcat is offline  
Old May 31, 17, 9:14 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
SFO gets 2x 10 abreast presumably because 3x daily 9 abreast is too much seats.
Really? Because the new morning flights are also 77B(10 abreast) and they are planning on increasing it to daily, making SFO 3x daily 10-abreast.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Old Jun 1, 17, 6:47 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by hayzel7773 View Post
Really? Because the new morning flights are also 77B(10 abreast) and they are planning on increasing it to daily, making SFO 3x daily 10-abreast.
I forgot about the 3rd flight!

You are right... there is more than enough demand from SFO. UA hub and all.

So that means BR will soon have more seats to SFO than LAX.
bzcat is offline  
Old Jul 23, 17, 5:36 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: SFO
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,090
I think it's the shortest 77W routes, since SFO, YVR, and SEA are the closest NA destinations to TPE and VIE is the closest European destination to BKK.
1353513636 is offline  
Old Sep 8, 17, 12:19 pm
  #100  
Gus
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 367
Are there any immediate plans to use the 10 abreast on the LHR route?
I just looked at fl24 and the following aircraft are on BR067/68 for the next few days, 16731/32/33/35 and 39.
These are now known as 77B are they?
TIA
Gus is offline  
Old Sep 8, 17, 1:44 pm
  #101  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 35
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Are there any immediate plans to use the 10 abreast on the LHR route?
I just looked at fl24 and the following aircraft are on BR067/68 for the next few days, 16731/32/33/35 and 39.
These are now known as 77B are they?
TIA
It is temporary to carry lot of holiday season people back.
Gus likes this.
skyplane is offline  
Old Sep 8, 17, 3:07 pm
  #102  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Are there any immediate plans to use the 10 abreast on the LHR route?
I just looked at fl24 and the following aircraft are on BR067/68 for the next few days, 16731/32/33/35 and 39.
These are now known as 77B are they?
TIA
Holiday-goers need to go home. They are subbing the LHR planes onto the SFO route and moving the 77Bs over to LHR until the holiday season is done.
Gus likes this.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Old Sep 11, 17, 5:31 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bay Area
Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Posts: 624
Originally Posted by hayzel7773 View Post
Holiday-goers need to go home. They are subbing the LHR planes onto the SFO route and moving the 77Bs over to LHR until the holiday season is done.
No wonder I got old 77W today 9/10 on BR28.

i really don't like the old entertainment system. The ride from Taipei today was extremely rough.

i still can't stand the new light green color though. 718 to 723 still my favorite to fly.
krispykrme is offline  
Old Sep 11, 17, 3:13 pm
  #104  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SFO
Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Posts: 1,832
Originally Posted by krispykrme View Post
No wonder I got old 77W today 9/10 on BR28.

i really don't like the old entertainment system. The ride from Taipei today was extremely rough.

i still can't stand the new light green color though. 718 to 723 still my favorite to fly.
725-729 are still the old interior color too.
hayzel7773 is online now  
Old Dec 12, 17, 5:32 pm
  #105  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: PacNW (SEA)
Programs: 75K AS, IHG
Posts: 441
Ugh, old news but just found this thread... Had booked remembering 9-across for SEA-TPE and confirmed on seatguru. Should have known not to trust that... 10 across and lost seats next to my companion. #unhappiness . At least for TPAC in Y there is no good option so not like there's a better option out there? :/
leland is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: