EVA goes 10 abreast 777

Old Mar 10, 17, 1:25 am
  #76  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 15,532
Originally Posted by cce5858 View Post
I think going 3-4-3 is a great thing. Don't get the fuss. I think all 777s around the world should have 3-4-3 in Y. It's greener and it will contribute to lower prices and increased amenities. These 10 across Y seats look amazing. With large TV screens and plugs and wifi. I haven't flown in economy in many many years, but the last time I was walking down the cabin on a China Airlines brand new 777 that had 3-4-3 I think the passengers looked very comfortable. Hopefully EVA retrofits all their 777 with 3-4-3 and hope SQ follows suit.
If you're a skinny and petite, absolutely https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post27439604

Even I am squat and have broad shoulders that suffer badly from 3-4-3
percysmith is online now  
Old Mar 10, 17, 11:23 am
  #77  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,014
Originally Posted by cce5858 View Post
I think going 3-4-3 is a great thing. Don't get the fuss. I think all 777s around the world should have 3-4-3 in Y. It's greener and it will contribute to lower prices and increased amenities. These 10 across Y seats look amazing. With large TV screens and plugs and wifi. I haven't flown in economy in many many years, but the last time I was walking down the cabin on a China Airlines brand new 777 that had 3-4-3 I think the passengers looked very comfortable. Hopefully EVA retrofits all their 777 with 3-4-3 and hope SQ follows suit.
One way to be green is to eliminate the super heavy RL seats and plates. If we truly want to be green, we should not be flying at all.
username is offline  
Old Mar 10, 17, 12:27 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 10
cce5858 says it all when he states:

"I haven't flown in economy in many many years, but the last time I was walking down the cabin on a China Airlines brand new 777 that had 3-4-3 I think the passengers looked very comfortable."

Let them eat cake!
Surgency is offline  
Old Mar 10, 17, 10:40 pm
  #79  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 31,124
Originally Posted by cce5858 View Post
I think going 3-4-3 is a great thing. Don't get the fuss. I think all 777s around the world should have 3-4-3 in Y. It's greener and it will contribute to lower prices and increased amenities. These 10 across Y seats look amazing. With large TV screens and plugs and wifi. I haven't flown in economy in many many years, but the last time I was walking down the cabin on a China Airlines brand new 777 that had 3-4-3 I think the passengers looked very comfortable. Hopefully EVA retrofits all their 777 with 3-4-3 and hope SQ follows suit.
Please give it a try on a long flight, and get back to us.
moondog is offline  
Old Mar 11, 17, 5:53 pm
  #80  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: SJC, TPE, TYO, DXB
Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, JPMPB, US/JP Centurion
Posts: 178
... I wasn't meant to be condescending. I just wanted to point out that the product does not appear to be compromised at all, since new technology is introduced and seats are of much higher quality (slim Recaro seats, much more ergonomic), the in-flight entertainment is superb and the screens are huge with great resolutions (better than Business class back in 2005), and the cabin ambiance with mood lighting, in-flight meals, dine on demand etc. all appear to be much better than it was 10 years ago. I just feel 10 across in economy would also make economy cheaper, and carrying greater passenger loads will also be more green. Greater passenger yields often lead to revenue used to increase unique differentiating perks and amenities for the airline. It would be great to see this as the industry standard, as well as see the A380 start to consider 11 across styles to keep the program alive.

Last edited by cce5858; Mar 11, 17 at 6:02 pm
cce5858 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 17, 6:12 pm
  #81  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Programs: statusless these days
Posts: 19,638
Originally Posted by cce5858 View Post
... I wasn't meant to be condescending. I just wanted to point out that the product does not appear to be compromised at all, since new technology is introduced and seats are of much higher quality (slim Recaro seats, much more ergonomic), the in-flight entertainment is superb and the screens are huge with great resolutions (better than Business class back in 2005), and the cabin ambiance with mood lighting, in-flight meals, dine on demand etc. all appear to be much better than it was 10 years ago.
All that is fine but space is space, and that physical limitation is finite. Fitting in an extra person decreases space for everyone else. It'd be like a European elevator vs. a N. American one. I am by no means a big or wide person but I cannot see how some of the elevators I've seen in Europe can fit the number of people they're rated for.

I suppose you think this set up is perfectly fine


The above is a BY 767-300ER and no, your eyes are not deceiving you - it is not the inside of an Airbus 300/310/330/340
YVR Cockroach is online now  
Old Mar 12, 17, 12:02 am
  #82  
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: Asia Miles. Not bothering to join Marco Polo.
Posts: 15,532
Wouldn't more cramming in Y mean more competition for the seats further up front? Not so good for you I'd say.
percysmith is online now  
Old Mar 13, 17, 3:21 pm
  #83  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: KUL/BOS
Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
Posts: 342
Just flew on MU's 10 abreast 77W. Same seat model as China Airlines' 77W, and ample seat pitch + empty seats at the back of the cabin made it one of the better Y trips in my recent years. (I've also flown on CI's 77W and found it pretty good)

The seat itself also provided much more recline and lumbar support vs the 9 abreast MCE config in AA's 77W (which was pretty nightmarish despite the "better" width).

FYI I'm about 6' and 180lb.
Enhancements is offline  
Old Mar 13, 17, 4:59 pm
  #84  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
Posts: 2,137
Airlines are installing 10 abreast seats in 77W because the traveling public values low(er) price more than elbow room. It's the same argument for legroom and the price conscious flyers conclusively won that battle. And now they are winning the elbow room battle.

FT is not a good representation of the majority of the Y class flyers.
bzcat is offline  
Old Mar 13, 17, 7:38 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Posts: 4,040
Originally Posted by percysmith View Post
Wouldn't more cramming in Y mean more competition for the seats further up front? Not so good for you I'd say.
In the flyertalk world, yes.
TennisNoob is offline  
Old Mar 13, 17, 11:57 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SIN
Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Posts: 3,736
I guess, it just a matter of time that 3-4-3 config in Y will be the norm than the exception.

PE will soon become another standard than exception. soon you will see another 3 classes again. C, PE and Y, instead just C and Y. Then C will be "upgraded" to be like current F and PE will be upgraded to be like current C. Then airlines will start removing C as people are just fine with PE.

You see the cycle?

What is for sure Y is getting more and more cramp
lingua101 is offline  
Old Mar 14, 17, 1:14 am
  #87  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Posts: 4,040
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
I guess, it just a matter of time that 3-4-3 config in Y will be the norm than the exception.

PE will soon become another standard than exception. soon you will see another 3 classes again. C, PE and Y, instead just C and Y. Then C will be "upgraded" to be like current F and PE will be upgraded to be like current C. Then airlines will start removing C as people are just fine with PE.

You see the cycle?

What is for sure Y is getting more and more cramp
Well TBH domestic C is PE right? i.e. UA Barcaloungers. OTOH BR on it's A321s have much better legroom.
TennisNoob is offline  
Old Mar 14, 17, 10:17 am
  #88  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: SFO/SJC/OAK
Posts: 478
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
Well TBH domestic C is PE right?
AA's new domestic F seat is basically the same as their international W seat.

Delta has a chart comparing cabins and fare levels, and their upcoming W service is actually nicer than their current F service.

So, yeah. It basically is.
lolstebbo is offline  
Old Mar 18, 17, 3:26 pm
  #89  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: IAH
Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Posts: 4,040
Originally Posted by lolstebbo View Post
AA's new domestic F seat is basically the same as their international W seat.

Delta has a chart comparing cabins and fare levels, and their upcoming W service is actually nicer than their current F service.

So, yeah. It basically is.
But yes pretty soon there will be an ridiculous Flat Bed Premium Economy something like UA's 2-4-2 but on an 77W instead of an 747.
TennisNoob is offline  
Old May 27, 17, 10:26 am
  #90  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 40
Thinking about flying from Vienna to Bangkok in Fall/Winter. I checked the recent BR flights on flightradar24 and it's mostly a 77W with the comfy 313 seat 33" 3-3-3 setup, however recently also a new 77W flew the route with the high density 3-4-3 setup.

Are they going to reconfigure all of the 77Ws, or leave the old comfy ones alone and just receive the new ones as high density? I always thought of Eva Air as a quality airline so I'm kind of shocked they are falling for this 10-abreast scheme as well, also considering the asian airlines were kind of like the "last resort".

Other options aren't much better though:

Austrian 772 extra expensive and even worse at 3-4-3 17".
And with Qatar the VIE-DOH leg is on the hell machine 787 with 31" 17" + IFE box. And the other leg on a 77W which nowadays Qatar also uses in high density setting at 31-33"(whatever that means) and 17" in 3-4-3.

Aren't these supposed to be the best 5* airlines?? I mean I know legroom isn't everything but COME ON.
ArnoldB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: