Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EVA goes 10 abreast 777

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA, BR, WN /Hyatt Dis/SPG Gold/ HH Gold
Originally Posted by username
Maybe just a strategy to force larger passengers to buy Elite Class UA is occasionally up-gauging to the 744 on TPE-SFO in the coming months. Apparently business is good.

I don't think UA is up-gauging 744. They are re-positioning the 787-9s for the longer route: SFO-SIN, SFO-SYD, and SFO-TLV. In other words, UA needs to pull the more fuel economic planes to do these super long distance non-stop flight. SFO-TPE is relegated to the older 744. I am surprised UA is not using their 777-200s for this (TPE-SFO) route.

I think it is going to be interesting to see how BR and UA going to deploy their upcoming 787-10 planes.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:44 am

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by darthmong
I don't think UA is up-gauging 744. They are re-positioning the 787-9s for the longer route: SFO-SIN, SFO-SYD, and SFO-TLV. In other words, UA needs to pull the more fuel economic planes to do these super long distance non-stop flight. SFO-TPE is relegated to the older 744. I am surprised UA is not using their 777-200s for this (TPE-SFO) route.

I think it is going to be interesting to see how BR and UA going to deploy their upcoming 787-10 planes.
BR said that the 787-10 will be in high density config for regional flights(Asia flights) and the 787-9s they r leasing will have a medium haul config with a tiny PE cabin so they can serve destinations in Europe/NAmerica/Oceania.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Is EVA expanding the fleet/routes or getting rid of the older ones as the newer ones come in?
i don't think they are getting rid of the old ones. They are in the process of refurbishing them and have refurbished most of the planes already. If they wanted to get rid of them, they wouldn't spend precious time/money changing out the seats/installing WIFI.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by hayzel7773
i don't think they are getting rid of the old ones. They are in the process of refurbishing them and have refurbished most of the planes already. If they wanted to get rid of them, they wouldn't spend precious time/money changing out the seats/installing WIFI.
as of now 11 out of 15 older 777 are converted from 77n to 77m
Old Aug 15, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by John ChaoRai
as of now 11 out of 15 older 777 are converted from 77n to 77m
They are replacing the old 777s when the next "wave" of planes come in, per the statement they released.

http://www.evaair.com/en-global/news...eamliners.html
Old Aug 15, 2016, 7:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
I think that's because there leased right?
Old Aug 15, 2016, 8:46 pm

It wouldn't make sense to re-refurbish the planes they just refurbished, so it looks like the 10-abreast will start on the "shorter" transpacific routes, SEA and SFO.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by erics2356
It wouldn't make sense to re-refurbish the planes they just refurbished, so it looks like the 10-abreast will start on the "shorter" transpacific routes, SEA and SFO.
totally agree, why would they spend double just to get 20 more seats in, just doesn't make any sense to me. IMO, the older one B-16701 to B-16728 will be in 9 abreast, and the newer one B-16729 and so on will come with 10 abreast.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
This is just my speculation... offered as opinion, not facts

The 15 oldest 777-300ER (delivered 2005-2010), some of which were originally delivered as 77W configuration (RL recliner C cabin) are now called 77N (with PL lie flat C cabin). Some 77N have already been converted to 77M (wifi + 10 extra seats but still 9 abreast in Y). These planes have already had their C-check (which requires removal of interior) so not likely to have new interior again until they leave BR's fleet. They will eventually be phased out - probably when their lease expires.

Any remaining 77N not yet converted to 77M will likely get the 10-abreast Y cabin during C-check.

The 10 new 777-300ER (delivered 2014-2016) 77A that were delivered new with wifi will stick around with 9 abreast seats until when they go in for C-check maintenance. I'm sure they will be refitted with the 10 abreast Y cabin as they will be with BR for a long time to come.

All the new 777-300ER that are being delivered now and still on order (B-16728 and higher) will be 10 abreast in Y.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 4:17 pm

This is extremely disappointing. Just found out my SEA-TPE flight in November is the new 3/4/3 config in economy. It was 3/3/3 when I booked and they changed the plane recently. I guess Saturday is 1 of the 3 days/week they're flying with the 77W config.

Traveling as a family of 4. We're not big, but not small people either. I wonder if I call and complain if they'll move me up a day to a 77A flight, which would give us more room per passenger. I doubt they'll entertain that, but I've heard people have had a little luck with that argument on other airlines.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tim Ottersburg
This is extremely disappointing. Just found out my SEA-TPE flight in November is the new 3/4/3 config in economy. It was 3/3/3 when I booked and they changed the plane recently. I guess Saturday is 1 of the 3 days/week they're flying with the 77W config.

Traveling as a family of 4. We're not big, but not small people either. I wonder if I call and complain if they'll move me up a day to a 77A flight, which would give us more room per passenger. I doubt they'll entertain that, but I've heard people have had a little luck with that argument on other airlines.
if you get a nice customer service agent, then maybe. try calling the Taipei office instead of the north america/seattle office. The NA office people are nothing but lazy pigs sitting there waiting for phone calls and then telling you they cant do anything. They are absolutely horrific. Just tell them that when you booked, it was 333 and now its 343 and u want 333 and they shd give it.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by hayzel7773
if you get a nice customer service agent, then maybe. try calling the Taipei office instead of the north america/seattle office. The NA office people are nothing but lazy pigs sitting there waiting for phone calls and then telling you they cant do anything. They are absolutely horrific. Just tell them that when you booked, it was 333 and now its 343 and u want 333 and they shd give it.
It's the same office that picks up though.

I called the US office regarding an Typhoon while I was in Taipei and the guy was like yes I'm in Taipei too!
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
It's the same office that picks up though.

I called the US office regarding an Typhoon while I was in Taipei and the guy was like yes I'm in Taipei too!
If you call when lines are super busy and Taipei is still open or you call the LA office after they are closed, they transfer you to the Taipei center. But during the day, its the LA office picking up. Those ineffective people need to be fired. They treat their FF like crap in LA.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:47 am

Update: Called and spoke to a very nice rep, but she refused to change my flight without charging me a change fee plus fare change. Said they commit to honoring the same class of service paid for, but will not provide a fee/fare waiver for change of aircraft.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tim Ottersburg
Update: Called and spoke to a very nice rep, but she refused to change my flight without charging me a change fee plus fare change. Said they commit to honoring the same class of service paid for, but will not provide a fee/fare waiver for change of aircraft.
Yikes. Should have created a big enough fuss. Then they will just change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.