Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA wake up, CATHAY plundering INDIA-US traffic for ultracheap HKG link

Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific started plundering India-US traffic for HKG route with ultracheap fares . EVA AIR start India Operations earliest or partner with Star Alliance partners TG, AI for US-TPE-BKK/SIN-INDIA sector. Its time for EVA to live true to its vision: Taipei the pacific link.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I know I wouldn't double connect to get to India from the US but if AI & BR did team up that would be good for travelers.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 8:41 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

If Taiwan had any good local food for a stopover (previous visits haven't proven thus), I'd consider it.

That said, I've flown CI lots (mostly HKG-CGK), and don't have complaints about 'em.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The Gulf carriers own the India-US market now.

Originally Posted by livemint.com

Top 5 airlines in the Indian market, by passengers carried
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Jul 5, 2016 at 6:31 am
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Interesting numbers. I wouldn't have thought Nepal that high, for example, but perhaps that's outbound US tourism more than anything else.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Interesting numbers. I wouldn't have thought Nepal that high, for example, but perhaps that's outbound US tourism more than anything else.
Indeed. Of *, pretty much only TK and TG fly there (China sort of does), and TG is an awful way from the East Coast to travel.

So excluding the busiest flights (India-Nepal, basically a hop), makes sense that the Gulf carriers are carrying a decent load. Especially as almost every worker I ever met in Qatar was Nepali.

FWIW, TK C is the best way to fly to Nepal from the US.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I'm not sure why the mods havent moved this yet, but this doesnt belong in the Info Desk forum. Perhaps the EVA forum
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by irishguy28
The Gulf carriers own the India-US market now.
May or may not be true, but your stats do not back this up.

The first states that the Indian domestics carry more international traffic than the ME3, but no breakdown by region.

The second states how the US traffic on each ME3 breaks down by region.

US-India via TPE (or HKG) looks a bit long to me. This is probably the one US market that the ME3 can really try to dominate as their hubs are well located (so is IST).

Now, if Aerofloat had funds to buy some nice metal, that would be the ideal route.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Me neither. I don't think there is an Eva forum but there is an Airlines of Asia forum and I sent a note to a mod when I responded to the thread. Holiday weekends do pile on a volunteer mods time though.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I'm not sure why the mods havent moved this yet, but this doesnt belong in the Info Desk forum. Perhaps the EVA forum
Old Jul 8, 2016, 6:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Reuleaux
Cathay Pacific started plundering India-US traffic for HKG route with ultracheap fares . EVA AIR start India Operations earliest or partner with Star Alliance partners TG, AI for US-TPE-BKK/SIN-INDIA sector. Its time for EVA to live true to its vision: Taipei the pacific link.
What would be the business rationale for entering a market in which other airlines have "plundered" fares? I'm also willing to bet that HKG-India has significantly stronger O&D demand than TPE-India. These flights are NOT cheap when sold standalone.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 8:48 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
HKG-India fares AREN'T CHEAP at all. I had to fly to Mumbai on CX and the price from HKG was HKD 10k! TPE-BOM was slightly lower...around TWD 29k.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.