Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Eva Air | Infinity MileageLands
Reload this Page >

EVA Air recieves Skytrax 5 Star Airline Designation

EVA Air recieves Skytrax 5 Star Airline Designation

Old Jun 18, 2016, 3:17 am

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by Anton33
That's why to me Skytrax awards are quite a hit and miss. It's trustworthy to me if they rated SQ as 5* because to me and most people will definitely agree. SQ also provides one of the most consistent service quality.I think even CX economy doesn't even come close to SQ economy in terms of offering. But they rated Hainan as 5* is what makes them lost their credibility. Never flown with Hainan but when I read trip report about them, I'm just not that attracted.
It needs to be consistent overall and can't be hit and miss. When airlines like HU is on the 5-star list along with CX and SQ, it's simply a joke. I mean, sure HU is the 5-star within China, but yea put that in a separate list.

CX regardless Business or Economy will never be a five star airline to me when they treat passengers with different attitudes based on the language the passengers speak. SQ is quite consistent overall, but it's going to an extreme of robotic services.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

HU isn't the best PRC airline IMO, not by a long shot, but I digress.

Back on what has become a major element of this thread, apart from possibly being corrupt, the main problem with skytrax is that its methodology is just plain stupid.

To be semi-respectable along the lines of Michelin, they would only accept reviews from people who have flown a substantial number of airlines in various service classes recently.

Instead what they have are fanboys of airline X, haters of airline Y, and insiders playing both angles. Moreover, they don't have a reliable mechanism to prevent people from reviewing airlines they have never flown.

Last edited by moondog; Jun 18, 2016 at 3:25 pm
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, the Taiwanese grew up taking exams Whether is the ACI rating for TPE airport or the World Economic Forum Global Competitiveness report, there are ways to improve the rankings / influence the outcome if you focus on what the tests look for.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
BR is a small airline compared to CX and SQ. It has also been improving steadily.
It now offers an excellent business class product on longhaul.
Whether that justifies a 5* ranking is a bit doubtful
Old Jun 19, 2016, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Originally Posted by moondog
HU isn't the best PRC airline IMO, not by a long shot, but I digress.
Well, to each and their own opinion, but I am curious which one is the best in your dictionary? I haven't been able to take all the small airlines like Shandong and etc. so maybe I missed a couple jewels

--

I believe any of us will still complain even if Skytrax uses a better methodology. However, the problem is consistency overall. You don't know really why a particular airline, such as EVA, is being selected for an upgrade audit... when other airlines are not. It's not like they are doing an overall audit for all airlines for the so-called five star, they are simply selecting an airline to do an upgrade audit.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by coolfish1103
Well, to each and their own opinion, but I am curious which one is the best in your dictionary? I haven't been able to take all the small airlines like Shandong and etc. so maybe I missed a couple jewels
Shenzhen Airlines is my favorite, followed closely by Xiamen Air. And, believe it or not, MU has made enormous strides during the course of the past year or so. It's still far from meeting the "I'm excited to fly this airline" bar, but I'd definitely place them above HU now. My main beef with HU is lack of professionalism. Beijing T1 is also a miserable place.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
Shenzhen Airlines is my favorite, followed closely by Xiamen Air. And, believe it or not, MU has made enormous strides during the course of the past year or so. It's still far from meeting the "I'm excited to fly this airline" bar, but I'd definitely place them above HU now. My main beef with HU is lack of professionalism. Beijing T1 is also a miserable place.
I have not flown Mainland carriers for a while but I had felt you can sense the regional attitude on the plane - MU has the stuck-up Shanghai attitude and CA has the down-to-earth Northern Chinese attitude. Does anyone sense that?
Old Jun 19, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by username
I have not flown Mainland carriers for a while but I had felt you can sense the regional attitude on the plane - MU has the stuck-up Shanghai attitude and CA has the down-to-earth Northern Chinese attitude. Does anyone sense that?
I rarely fly neither domestically but from an international stand point, Old Generation BR has better service than Old Generation CA. New generation CA has better service than New generation BR.

As usual NH > CA/BR/CX/MU
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I rarely fly neither domestically but from an international stand point, Old Generation BR has better service than Old Generation CA. New generation CA has better service than New generation BR.

Definitely. Original BR crew was trained by NH and this generation of young people in Taiwan... Even the more senior BR FAs will tell you the new people are not good workers and the rapid expansion does not help.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

I disagree.

BR J > NH F even for today's standard.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by username
-they both recruit from the same labor force
-they both have the same largest shareholder
-I admit that company culture is a little different, but the differences are pretty subtle to the extent that they aren't readily apparent on amongst front line staff

Last edited by moondog; Jun 20, 2016 at 8:20 pm
Old Jun 20, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin

BR J > NH F even for today's standard.
Can't compare J & F unless it's UA.

Everything in F is superior to J including service for sure.

--------------

NH J > BR J > CA J (Seat, Service, and Food)
CA F > NH F (Seat comfort)
NH F > CA F (Service & Food)

I've never seen an CP on BR personally go thank it's top tier members like NH would.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, B6 Mosaic
I'm often thanked by the CPs on BR for being Diamond. It's always something along the lines of "we know it's tough to reach this status and we really appreciate your business."
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
Can't compare J & F unless it's UA.

Everything in F is superior to J including service for sure.

--------------

NH J > BR J > CA J (Seat, Service, and Food)
CA F > NH F (Seat comfort)
NH F > CA F (Service & Food)

I've never seen an CP on BR personally go thank it's top tier members like NH would.
Are you messing up CI with CA? I'm not a picky eater but my experience with CA J food had been horrible.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 7:11 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, UA, AA, DL, BA, CX
I would give EVA at best 4.5 stars. But if you look at the charts, how is KE and JL only 4*?

If JL and KE are 4* than EVA should be 3.5 stars at best.

But than I can go on and on about how I feel KE is better than OZ who is an 5*.

All in all, I don't believe in Skytrax.
JL is great and I'm a fan on their long distance new planes but until they decide to upgrade those ancient inta-Asia regional seats, they don't deserve to be on top. I mean come on, i couldn't even see what the monitor shows on J seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.